Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Powdercoat vs painting wheels

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DiRtYJAS86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know I don't post up all that often, but this is one of my favorite forums to read. I have a Silver SRT8 and am interested in having the wheels painted/powdercoated a satin black. I am in Arizona near the tempe area and I called around to a few different places. I found a shop that has someone that can do the powdercoating, for about 75 dollars a wheel which sounds right after reading some of the threads. He said to PAINT them would be approx 100 dollars a wheel, and the tires don't have to come off. To POWDERCOAT would be about 75 dollars, but the tires have to come off the wheels. The gentleman also told me that the paint has a more uniform finish and looks nicer? I was wondering why everyone on here gets their wheels powder coated instead of paint and what are the real differences? Thanks

#5 ·
Powder if done right can look good and is more durable.

Paint has more gloss and depth to it (IMO....I've had wheels done in powder and some done in paint). If paint is done right it will hold up fine unless it gets jacked when you need tires dismounted/mounted.

But they need to be careful with powder during mounting and dismounting as well.

My wheels on the SRT are paint....mainly since it's free for me and the tires didn't have to come off :D

#6 ·
generally the powdercoat is more durable...can resist chipping and such better than paint IMO...however there may be arguments stating that a good pant job (if done right) can be just as tough....but who really does a good job of anything nowadays? lol...unless you are looking for that high gloss, powdercoat em'!

#7 ·
From what I heard
Powdercoating is more durable than painting.
But painting is reversible just in case you ever want to sell/trade the Beast.
If I was going to do it, I would paint it. Just make sure there are multiple coats of color and clear. Just my opnion.

#8 ·
thanks guys... i think im going to go with the powder coat... it takes longer but if it is going to last longer overall then that seems better. However the paint is tempting since it would probably only take 1 day and the tires dont come off and i wouldnt have to deal with the turn around time of the powder coat.... ahhhhh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.