Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Attn Stage 6 Fuel Hat Owners!!!

8K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  TonySRT8 
#1 ·
It seems we've had a few failures pop up in the last week or two. Some hoses on the feed side have cracked and a few feed lines have popped off causing the trucks to shut down and lose fuel pressure. If it happened to you, please post up what happened. Also let us know if your fuel lines have swelled at all.

We have written a letter today to Gates explaining about their fuel lines cracking. They're the only ones we know of that make submersible fuel lines. We are exploring other options and we will be beefing up my fuel system this weekend and will see how mine is holding up since I have about 30K on my setup.

One or two here and there is no biggie but now a few more have popped up and we ain't diggin' that. We've always stood behind out products and will continue to do so. Most have been reattaching the fuel lines and have been good since, but it still shouldn't have happened. We thank you guys for your support and we'd appreciate any and all feedback you guys can give us. Thanks.....

Harrison

#2 ·
I wouldn't even know where to look. Are you talking about in the tank?

#3 ·
Yes. The fuel hat in the tank.

We got a reply from Gates. They would like pictures of any split hoses that anyone may have. Thanks guys.

#4 ·
Haven't had any issues yet and I do monitor it in my logs which I log everywhere I go.

#5 ·
does deadmanhose make something? I recall this problem popping up with earlier different source fuel hats, including one I had, because of the type and size clamps being used. If you're using normal worm clamps, that could be the issue. If using "fuel line" clamps (which have a similar but "different" method of compressing the fuel line against the nipple, with rounded edges and no sharp edge contact, then maybe just a bad run of gates hoses? good luck with fix and a big hats off (pun intended) to this vendor for not burying the cat turd. Good show.

#11 ·
Harry... look on NLOC. Those guys had the same guys in the Lightnings before they started to use a stainless Y & some fancy brand of submersible lines.
-Gates products are usually top notch though. Call Peritek?

Reactions: TheBRICK
#8 ·
Nothing tops my Fuel System from KRC.... :D Good catch on the fuel Hoses harry, another stand-up example of Stage 6 standing behind their work and fixing what needs to be fixed.

#9 ·
Thanks for the headsup Harrison. Just another reason to have a fuel pressure gauge. I'll let you know if I see a fuel pressure issue. But so far its been fine and I know if I do have the issue you will take care of me.

#10 ·
Mine was the common hose that split coming out of the "T"connector. It was about two inches long and the reinforcing mesh was separated as well. The other hoses and the clamps which were the non- worm type were fine. The day I did the r&r I was rushing bc of having to wrestle with a full gas tank and had to buy new hose while the Jeep was on the rack. I had to hurry bc another job was coming into the shop and I didn't want to hold it up. So I didn't even get pictures. I thought about it the next day, but when I stopped by the owner said he already threw everything away. Wish I had saved the hose bc it was a pretty big split. BTW FWIW I think following up on this issue is a great thing and shows real concern for you customers. Technically it's a hose problem and a lot of vendors wouldn't care and would just point fingers or try to sweep the problem under the rug. Thanks again for the follow up and thanks for all the help with the initial install Harry. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#12 ·
Went to get a coffee Friday, and on the way home my Jeep stalled out on me right in the middle of an intersection. 0 fuel pressure on the gauge. Had to get towed home, and then had it towed to ESP yesterday. Just got word that the feed line popped off. Pumps were installed 2000 miles ago.

#13 ·
This is not what I want to hear. Are you guys using a stainless Y with a retention ring on the end?
Please get this corrected... Skip will b sending a fuel hat for me here soon... But I can't afford to have these issues guys.
-Brian

#15 ·
I think I may have an issue with my hat. I've been having problems starting the jeep and its been stalling everytime i would come to a red light or stop sign...dont have a fuel pressure gauge. it seems like its not getting enough gas. if it was an issue with the fuel hat would I loose all fuel pressure?

#16 ·
It depends what the problem is. My main feed hose blew off and I lost all fuel pressure. The Jeep stalled out, and wouldn't start at all. If there is a split in one of the hoses, the pumps may not be able to maintain full pressure, but still allow it to run. I would think you would notice that as you accelerated though, not coming to a stop or at idle.

#18 ·
Mine looked pretty tightly attached when I received it from the guys down @ Stage6, so I didn't touch it. Just pulled the old one out, slapped the "new" one in.
I'll b sure and letcha know if I have any problems with it.

#20 ·
Kind of ironic but my fuel line split this morning on the way to work. I could instantly tell something was wrong because it almost stalled out when i had to stop for a red light. I noticed the fuel pressure jumping around between 15 and 50psi. I babied it back home and it was bucking and sputtering every time i had to slow down or make a right turn. Once I got home and turned it off it wouldn't restart until I primed the key a few times to build some fuel pressure but you could see the pressure leaking down as it sat. Time for some Stage 6 love when the boys get back from VMP. Amazing how a $2 piece can ruin your morning :)

Reactions: 10JGCSRT8
#22 ·
how many miles do you guys have before having the issue? Just wondering if and when I would have the issue. I think I have around 3K miles (6-7 months) since I had mine installed.

#23 ·
I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my jeep was taking a while to start up. It would turn over for about 5 seconds before firing up. I have about 6k miles on it since the new fuel hat.

Reactions: TonySRT8
#25 ·
Thanks for the info Chris, I have a fuel pressure gauge so I'll have to keep an eye on it if I start having the issues discribed.

I don't prime the pumps, should I be doing this with the stage 6 setup?

#27 ·
Yeah the first thing you will notice is that the jeep will take longer to fire up. Watch your fuel pressure gauge and turn the key to the accessory position and watch where the fuel pressure goes? It should be at 60psi. Mine was about 15psi and I had to turn the key off and back on to prime the fuel pressure so it would start.

#30 ·
Mine has been in since Oct 2011. When did you guys get yours? I hope it was just a bad batch.

#34 ·
Looks like I made it about 9 months. Jeep died on my way to work today.
Had it towed to my buddies shop, but won't know more until monday when he can get around to it.
On a plus side, looks like I have an appointment now to have the front wavetrac installed.

#36 ·
We have finally found the culprit. After talking with Justin Fore for a bit, I told him what was going on. He knew exactly what it was from. It seems the Gates hoses are coated on the outside and inside, but not coated all the way through. When we cut the lines to fit, it exposes a fresh uncoated area. Fuel starts to seep in there and they all break at the same spot, at the top. From now on, we don't cut the top for fitment, just the bottom. The bottom part has never broken on us. We believe it's just the top part because of the angle of the line.

Like we tell everyone..... we can't say sorry enough that it happened but we now know the way to prevent it from happening. :D :eek:

#37 ·
We have finally found the culprit. After talking with Justin Fore for a bit, I told him what was going on. He knew exactly what it was from. It seems the Gates hoses are coated on the outside and inside, but not coated all the way through. When we cut the lines to fit, it exposes a fresh uncoated area. Fuel starts to seep in there and they all break at the same spot, at the top. From now on, we don't cut the top for fitment, just the bottom. The bottom part has never broken on us. We believe it's just the top part because of the angle of the line.

Like we tell everyone..... we can't say sorry enough that it happened but we now know the way to prevent it from happening. :D :eek:
First time reading this thread so apologize for what is probably a repeat question but anything I should look for or do or was mine cut from the bottom as described above? Thanks Harrison!

#38 ·
Just look at your fuel pressure. If it starts dropping...... you've got the issue. :lol:

Reactions: R0ck39
#39 ·
Sounds good! Thanks Harrison!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.