Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Ultimate Prowertrain Control Module thread and my problems.

173K views 549 replies 107 participants last post by  Blown7 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok folks this is my problem and my search for a plan or fix.
Everytime I drive by a high powered Microwave tower, television station transmission tower, or during periods ofextreme solar dust storms, or days of high sunspot activity or Jupiter aligns with Mars.......... my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Powertrain Control module takes a fit and I have a runaway engine.

This could and can be a very serious safety problem, and because I think this issue needs my personal attention I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

Some of you may just say take it to the dealer....... well I could but because there are laws to protect me to work on my own vehicle I choose to do it my way.

Some of the things you will see here are not what some people want you too (you can figure out who for yourselves)

I have tried to contact some people from other Forums about my plans but no one who really has the inside know how, have not PM'ed me back, so on this board I will post and continue.

Ok with that all out of the way here's the plan.

I will build a fully complimented vehicle wiring harness based off my 2007 GCSRT8 model with most all of the nodes laid out and connected. I will then add 12 volts regulated power and using a laptop connected to a new Starmobile then with another PC running Vehicle Spy 3 listen into the C can bus and copy the messages sent. Another PC running a Osciliscope program will monitor various nodes I have selected.

I will then try to corrupt the Can bus data using a Magnatron from Microwave oven. HAHAHAHA

Ok so this is the PCM that I will use, a generic unit purchased last week

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

This is the circut board underneath the cover with the Silicon removed.

Notice this large chip in the midde it is a Freescale (Motorola based) MPC

It's basically the brains behind the PCM routing can codes and sequincing all the variables.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/MainSERP.jsp?SelectedAsset=FAQs&assetLocked=true&showCustomCollateral=false&Product Type=Products/040M934302706246`Microcontrollers+and+Processors/002M0yls8rH332-Bit+Microcontrollers+&+Processors/004M0ylsbTdGPower+Architecture/000J2K8ELCZQAutomotive+Controllers/0301067371573986721160325`55xx+Controllers/

As most of you folks that have changed out your PCM's there are only 3 connectors identified by Black/Black, Black/Orange and Black/Natural. The fouth location is blank (colored Geen) and that would be for the TCM part if this was a regular 5.7 WK model.

Some links to the various software, cables.
Home | Intrepid Control Systems, Inc.

Home | Intrepid Control Systems, Inc.

Support | Intrepid Control Systems, Inc.

Kvaser | Advanced CAN Solutions

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16161&cat=0&page=1

So here I start and end for today, if you folks have any suggestions please bring 'em on. This project may take a few months so hang in there (I gotta work too).

Till tomorrow, where you get to see the back of the PCM board and we start identifying the various sections of the board. (Microcontrollers, coil circuts etc,)

Jeff

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah, I was following ya up until this....

"I will then try to corrupt the Can bus data using a Magnatron from Microwave oven. HAHAHAHA":eek:

#6 ·
If you can crack this B1TCH you will be loaded. It needs to be dyno programmable.

And who cares about DCX they were sold! Work your magic as we sit chomping at the bit!!!

#8 ·
Friggin Hilarious BUT.... I see the seriousness in you post.

(Why do I get the feeling that the next picture we see will be that of an un-soldered PC board:D :D )

Kudos on the task at hand............

#10 ·
FastSRT8GC said:
If you can crack this B1TCH you will be loaded. It needs to be dyno programmable.

And who cares about DCX they were sold! Work your magic as we sit chomping at the bit!!!
Oh I think it will be cracked, however unlike other attempts by others in the past all information will be posted here and not lost, kind of like a open source post. I'm not doing this for money I could care less, my business repairing and altering aircraft is very good.

Like I said Solar Flare Radiation is affecting my PCM and I'm just trying to fix it, (thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Jeff

#11 ·
So on the next to step my engine harness arrived yesterday. One of the problems with figuring this all out is because the parts department is all on computer you don't know what circuts are on what harness until you order the harness and sort it out. Here is the engine harness and the part number the parts manager didn't know what is on what harness so I have to order piece meal till I get all that I need.

And the part number

After the bag was opened and a few things sorted you can see that the engine harness has only two of the three PCM connectors. So now I have to order what is called the headlight harness.

Jeff

#12 ·
Here's a pick of the board and harness

Jeff

#13 · (Edited)
And so it begins unwrapping the harness to find each circuit. I never realised how may "wrapped pairs" there are. A wrapped pair means, that particular circuit is subject to stray EMF. I knew the Can Bus was and the Crankshaft Position Sensor is as well as the Camshaft Position Sensor, but a surprise was the Knock Sensors are. So what does that mean? The knock sensors are also subject to stray EMF and also I think by disconnecting the knock sensors at the block you will in effect turn off the knock sensors.
It doesn't look like the knock sensor circut is monitored by the PCM. A wrapped pair can be seen in the lower left of the pick. Notice the two wires twisted (white and brown)coming off the PCM connector, laying on the manual and separated from the bundle, that is one of the two knock sensor circuts.

Jeff

#14 ·
One last thought before I head out the door. There are many ways to get a complete tune out of these vehicles. Piggyback, parallel, or you go right into the PCM and change the parameters and maps. I hope through all this information all the answers will be addressed.

Jeff

#15 ·
Good luck, you are nutz :D !

Seriously, as far as DCX is concerned, check out the LX Forums and type in the search word "Morpheus".

DCX was not amused, and Project Morpheus is dead.

Talk about killing the aftermarket; Ford and Chevy are more than happy to let the aftermarket have it on their rides, it's part of what sells their cars. They're "tune-ability" and DCX lack thereof has definitely put some people off, myself included...

Keep us posted...I think!

Later,

Matty

#16 ·
Good Luck!! The Force is with ya!!

#17 ·
Wow! Lofty goals. Even with a fast PC this is going to take some time. To bad we couldn't do some distributed networking ala "Folding @ Home", I'd donate my compters CPU for this. :)

Ronin is right about Project Morpheus. I'd start looking into that ASAP...might save you some time/money/pain...

Either way *thumbs up* and keep us informed. I like watching projects like this.

#19 ·
STOP WHERE YOUR AT.. ..... DO NOT WORK ANY MORE ON THIS!!!!!

I figured out the problems.... MADE IN MEXICO!!! I will get on this, I own a landscape company and I will ask my workers to fix it!!! Send it my way. Dont worry i have their papers!!

#20 ·
Ronin said:
Good luck, you are nutz :D !

Seriously, as far as DCX is concerned, check out the LX Forums and type in the search word "Morpheus".

DCX was not amused, and Project Morpheus is dead.
I did that, I have spent weeks reading everything.

Can Hack also.

This is different, I have a Gamma Ray Radiation problem affecting my PCM and Can Bus.

Jeff

#25 ·
A few items I have found so far.
1. Most of the Microcontroller Processors in the PCM are made in China. Anyone who knows me understands my feelings that it just seems we can't make anything in America anymore.

2. As I strip all the covering and insulation off the wiring harness and ring out the circuts that some of the GCSRT wiring does not match anything indicated in three different sources, the 2007 WK Service Manuals, the separate Wiring Diagrams Manual, nor the Service Manual on CD.

This could be a big problem in the future as the harness ages and repairs have to be performed. Either the whole harness will have to be replaced, or the person repairing this system will spend alot of extra time troubleshooting it without support. Even some of the connectors are not indicated correctly.
The manuals never spec the SRT8 6.1 wiring harness except in very few places. Most of the time your using the 5.7 diagrams. And as we all know the 5.7 ain't the 6.1.
This in my opinion is a big blunder on DCX's part and needs serious addressing, I don't know if they intentionally left it out or is a oversight. You be the judge.

On another note I think this is the Oring that gives people heartburn with the leaky transmission fluid on the floor issues it is on the transmission harness connecting plug.

All the wiring and connector caps removed

The five twisted pairs identified in the engine harness.
The pair on the left is the Can C, to the right of that is the double twisted pairs going to the Throttle Body, next to that to the right is the left Knock sensor pair, last is the right Knock sensor twisted pair.

Pic below is most of the harness covering removed.

I'm sure I'll find more disappoints to come.

Jeff

#26 ·
This is the C 104 connector on the end of the harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.