Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Sunroof re calibrate step here !

32K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  jman07208 
#1 ·
Hi all,

This is the step to re calibrate your sunroff if it not close flush!

(See the attached pic for button description)

-----

1. Key at RUN position but engine OFF
2. Press one time button 3 (no matter if your sunroof close perfectly or not.. just press button 3 one time)
3. wait 5 sec
4. press one time button 2
5. wait 5 sec
6. press and HOLD button 2 for 10 sec
7. wait 5 sec
8. press one time button 3

Now your sunroof is re calibrate.

Hope it will help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just noticed mine was no longer flush today too. This fixed it in 30 seconds. I love this forum.

#4 ·
If i can help, i do :)

#5 ·
Please post in DIY for review section. Thanks.

#6 ·
It worked!!! Nice post...

#9 ·
Can you post some picture of you sunroof ?

#11 · (Edited)
ok guys....i was PISSED that this didnt work for mine....i tried it several(about 4) times the other night and it just wouldnt work....however....yesterday i decided to just go at it......ill describe my issue first then how it was resolved

when i pressed the open button it would retract all the way open, i mean LITERALLY all the way, as in it would take the shade out of sight behind the headliner...since ive owned the jeep its done this so i thought it was normal(now im aware this is NOT normal)...when i would press closed it would close all the way then back open about an inch and a half...the way that i got it to seal was by pressing the vent button...when i pressed the vent button it would close and move up into a position that was sealed(but about 1/8" below the roof line)...i take it through the highest pressure car wash IN THE WORLD twice a week and its NEVER leaked a drop so i didnt put much stock into it...it wasnt until i read this thread and several of the other threads on the subject that knew it wasnt right....here goes the process i used

ok, i am going to insert into the following procedure a few extra steps that i had to take in order for it to work for me

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38058 (pasting relevant procedure below)

7. Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.
9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).mine did not move to vent, just to a near flush position
10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.
11. ***If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position***at this point merely holding the vent button WOULD NOT MOVE THE GLASS TO THE VENT POSITION...at this point i had to do 2 things...1st) i had access the rear adjustment bolts that hold the glass to the mechanism and loosen them about 1/2 turn***see following procedure***...2nd) i had to hold the vent button for approx 30 seconds and then release, after i released i pressed the vent button again and it raised about a half an inch, pressed a second time, half inch more, i repeated this until the glass was at the highest position it would go to....once i had it in the highest position it would go to i pressed and held the vent button again for 5 sec then pressed the closed button...when closed button was pressed it settled to a near flush position****this is where i went to the procedure listed after this one for final adjustment of the glass itself****
12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f91/how-adjust-sunroof-glass-38312/ (link text pasted below)

How-to Adjust Sunroof Glass

It can all be found on pages 6750 and 6751 of the LX tech manual which can be found floating around the forum. If you don't have it I highly suggests getting it(it's pricey to buy) because it has a massive wealth of knowledge. It is like having FnkyChkn in your pocket

Tools:

All you are going to need is either a screwdriver with a T25 torx head bit on it or a ratchet with a 3" extension and a 8mm or 5/16" socket on the end.

(I opted for the screwdriver because the bolt holding the glass is close to the glass and I feared scratching the glass with a ratchet and you can easily tighten it with your screwdriver and you may overtorque it with the ratchet)

Procedure:

1. You need to slide the fabric cover all the way back just as it would be if the sunroof were open. Note the black plastic mechanism cover on each side.

2. With your finger pull back on the corrugated plastic guard that hides all of your sunroofs uglies. It feels like it should come off but it does and can easily be put right back, which you need to do when done.***at this point its best to go ahead and remove the covers...they are easy to remove if you do it gently...with the sunroof as high as it will go slide your finger behind the top of the rearmost edge of the cover and pull outward towards center of vehicle...the rear of the cover will pop loose...slide your finger towards the front of the jeep and you will pop loose the second clip...slide all the way to the front and the final clip will pop loose...once the top is loose youll want to leave it like it is...DON'T...grab the cover with both hands and slide it all the way fwd(its in a track)..once its all the way fwd slide it towards the rear of the jeep...as you slowly slide it towards the rear pull out on the rear of the cover and it will dislodge from the track and pop off into your hands...VOILA!!!

****LEAVE THE COVERS OFF UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH THE ENTIRE JOB...if you were to leave them half on they might catch in the mechanism as you cycle the sunroof to its different positions and we dont want that to happen****

NOTE: There are three clips on the sunroof that hold the cover.

3. Now comes the fun part, about 3/4 of the way from the front of the sunroof glass will be a bolt that has a hexagonal head(for you who want to use a ratchet) and the T25 torx bit slot for you screwdriver folks. (My sunroof is in the vent position for the ease of taking a picture, make sure yours is closed).

4. The LX Service manual calls for the glass to be 0-2mm BELOW the roof on the front and 0-2mm ABOVE the roof in the rear. The torque spec on the bolts is 5.5 N-m or 47 in-lbs which is not too tight so if you want a torque wrench for it more power to you but I used my calibrated arm for this.

You are going to want to loosen the bolt on the affected side, only do the front or the rear at a time, not all bolts. I put my screwdriver in the bolt as I was standing outside the car and adjusted it from out there because you can tell if it is correct or not and you can tighten it once you get it where it should be. Make sure you are holding the glass as you are tightening it so that it stays where you want it to

NOTE: Due to the weatherseal material on the sunroof glass when holding it where it should be add an extra 2-3mm(less than 1/8th an inch or so) in height so that once it cycles it will seal itself in the proper place since you pushed it where you wanted it to be and the motor didn't.

5. With all adjusting done, make sure your bolts that you touched are tight or you will need to go back and do this again in the future. Now you need to reattach the mechanism cover to the glass so it looks all pretty again and doesn't do bad things when you go to open the sunroof. You can push it until you feel it not move anymore. To make reattaching this easier you can vent your sunroof but I chose to leave mine closed.***to reinstall the covers its easiest to have the glass in the vent position...place the lower front of the cover in the rearmost position you can get to in the lower track...slide the cover towards the front of the jeep...as you begin to slide it fwd press the cover into the track beginning with the front and guide it in as you slide...once the lower portion is secured in track you will be able to see when you lift the upper edge that it doesnt fill the entire void, but, you can now see how to center it...pull up on the rear of the cover until its flush with the glass and press in...you will feel/hear it pop...move to the center clip...attach...move to the front clip...attach....DONE

6. Test the sunroof now by opening it then closing it. It should be just about flush with the roof. Good job. Now to verify you can vent the sunroof and then close it and make sure it looks all pretty.

All in all it took no more than 10min to do the actual job, figuring out the process to get the glass to where it would actually move to the vent position was the part that took time...hope this helps someone else out

#39 ·
Procedure:

1. You need to slide the fabric cover all the way back just as it would be if the sunroof were open. Note the black plastic mechanism cover on each side.

2. With your finger pull back on the corrugated plastic guard that hides all of your sunroofs uglies. It feels like it should come off but it does and can easily be put right back, which you need to do when done.***at this point its best to go ahead and remove the covers...they are easy to remove if you do it gently...with the sunroof as high as it will go slide your finger behind the top of the rearmost edge of the cover and pull outward towards center of vehicle...the rear of the cover will pop loose...slide your finger towards the front of the jeep and you will pop loose the second clip...slide all the way to the front and the final clip will pop loose...once the top is loose youll want to leave it like it is...DON'T...grab the cover with both hands and slide it all the way fwd(its in a track)..once its all the way fwd slide it towards the rear of the jeep...as you slowly slide it towards the rear pull out on the rear of the cover and it will dislodge from the track and pop off into your hands...VOILA!!!

****LEAVE THE COVERS OFF UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH THE ENTIRE JOB...if you were to leave them half on they might catch in the mechanism as you cycle the sunroof to its different positions and we dont want that to happen****

NOTE: There are three clips on the sunroof that hold the cover.

3. Now comes the fun part, about 3/4 of the way from the front of the sunroof glass will be a bolt that has a hexagonal head(for you who want to use a ratchet) and the T25 torx bit slot for you screwdriver folks. (My sunroof is in the vent position for the ease of taking a picture, make sure yours is closed).

4. The LX Service manual calls for the glass to be 0-2mm BELOW the roof on the front and 0-2mm ABOVE the roof in the rear. The torque spec on the bolts is 5.5 N-m or 47 in-lbs which is not too tight so if you want a torque wrench for it more power to you but I used my calibrated arm for this.

You are going to want to loosen the bolt on the affected side, only do the front or the rear at a time, not all bolts. I put my screwdriver in the bolt as I was standing outside the car and adjusted it from out there because you can tell if it is correct or not and you can tighten it once you get it where it should be. Make sure you are holding the glass as you are tightening it so that it stays where you want it to

NOTE: Due to the weatherseal material on the sunroof glass when holding it where it should be add an extra 2-3mm(less than 1/8th an inch or so) in height so that once it cycles it will seal itself in the proper place since you pushed it where you wanted it to be and the motor didn't.

5. With all adjusting done, make sure your bolts that you touched are tight or you will need to go back and do this again in the future. Now you need to reattach the mechanism cover to the glass so it looks all pretty again and doesn't do bad things when you go to open the sunroof. You can push it until you feel it not move anymore. To make reattaching this easier you can vent your sunroof but I chose to leave mine closed.***to reinstall the covers its easiest to have the glass in the vent position...place the lower front of the cover in the rearmost position you can get to in the lower track...slide the cover towards the front of the jeep...as you begin to slide it fwd press the cover into the track beginning with the front and guide it in as you slide...once the lower portion is secured in track you will be able to see when you lift the upper edge that it doesnt fill the entire void, but, you can now see how to center it...pull up on the rear of the cover until its flush with the glass and press in...you will feel/hear it pop...move to the center clip...attach...move to the front clip...attach....DONE
I noticed a year ago when I pulled my Weathertech's out that the passenger side one was damp undeneath. Did not put too much thought into it at the time, until recently when I saw other posts where people had leaks from the sun roof.

Cleaned off the Jeep today and when I got in, the passenger side floor mat had water in it. Pulled both of them out and the carpet was wet on both sides :-(.

Blew out the drain hoses to confirm they were not plugged when I realized that the roof was sitting way low in the front. I tried the different alignment procedures without any improvement when I came across this thread with JP's writeup on how to re-align it manually.

Unhooked the corrugated plastic guards on the top, adjusted the glass and hooked them back up as I could not get the guards unhooked from the track. Works quick enough that way even if you have to re-do it.

Great write up.:D

#13 ·
BlackSRT808 is an '08 like mine....original procedure may not work for him as it did not on mine....

#14 ·
on a side note...i removed the deflector in the front of mine MONTHS ago and it will NEVER go back on....the wind noise it created was too damned loud!!!! without it in place its whisper quiet when open even at 80mph on the highway...take out the 2 #25 torx screws and lift out the spring arms, takes all of about 30sec

#15 ·
What is the utility of this deflector ?

#17 ·
no adverse effects on mine whatsoever...figured it was to push air over the opening instead of allowing it to come into vehicle...take it off...YOULL BE AMAZED at how quiet it is!!!!

#23 ·
ok, i have been having a little leak on the drivers side a pillar lately,but not all the time. the other day i took my jeep to a automatic car wash(first time since i`ve owned the jeep). when i went through it started leaking pretty good on the passenger side this time. i read about cleaning out and checking the tubes in the pillars. so today i did that and the water seemed to run out at the bottom of the wheel well like they say. i then used hot water to just make sure it wasnt blocked. after that it did still leak down the passenger side,but i think i forced alot of water to quickly, so after all that i noticed my rear part of the sunroof wasn`t flush with the roof line. so it got me thinking that this is the problem. so i found this info and did it and now my sunroof is flush. thanks for the help, i hope this takes care of my problem. i`m praying it will as i been reading all kinds of things about chrysler brands having these problems and saying it`s a design flaw.

#28 ·
The recalibration worked for me but now the sunroof won't close. It closes almost all the way (until about an inch left until fully shut) and then it opens back to half way.....help please

#30 ·
Guys, i need some advice/help...

My '10 SRT8 is still under warranty. When i was traveling around 90mph or up, my sunroof decompressing little bit. It was very annoying, and it produce wind noise. When i hit the sunroof, it feels very loose. I can put my hand hard to the roof on the way where i was travel, and wind noise stop. When i take hand away it still was noisy as hell/

So, my dealer put all new sunroof last week... but without engine.
Here in Poland is no way to run arround 90mph or up, its too risky (winter time).

But i'm not shure for this change... Is there anyone with similar problem?

Best regards,

Pecemaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.