Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

New R1s Drilled/Slotted/Cryo'd w/ Stoptech

8K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  gitrdun 
#1 ·
My new pads and R1 rotors (all 4 corners) should be here in a day or two. You can see what I got from the title of the thread. The fronts had a heinous squeal, and constant dragging sound, almost like when you hang a pad or a brake caliper piston gets "sticky" (both things happened as separate incidents on an old truck of mine). I notice it on my 750 mile journey home from Detroit to VA a few weeks back. So, I figured now would be a good time to order the full setup.

And yes, I know, the drilled rotors aren't really necessary on our trucks unless...blah...blah....roadrace..blah...blah.

They just look sweet as hell.

<obvious> I did get the cryo'd rotors. Kind of overkill/unnecessary for my use, but whatever, it sounds cool :cool: if I ever put a mods list in my sig. I figure it wasn't too much more as I was already spending the cash....Thanks to Steve for the help on this.

#3 ·
I can't wait for mine! Especially with my new fancy powder coated wheels. :D Excessive brake dust is just no longer acceptable.

#5 ·
Mission Accomplished. Squealing brakes are a thing of the past, and the wheel well looks good. Unfortunately, my installer used Brake cleaner on the front calipers and removed some clearcoat on the calipers. I will be having a discussion on Monday with them.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yeah, the clearcoat thing sucks. The brake fluid must have dripped on the front calipers when they flushed it. It isn't too bad, but I definitely notice it, and it's worse on the passenger side than the driver's side. I don't know how the conversation is going to go on Monday. They are not the dealer, or a performance shop, so I am not sure how they will respond. The crappy thing is they are a great auto shop and I use them for all my other vehicles, so I want to handle this delicately.

Do you think I can touch up the clearcoat and paint if I am going back with the same red caliper color without it look to crappy?

I will be bedding the brakes here shortly tonight on my favorite stretch of road for speeding.

#8 ·
Hey... Detroit... where ya' @?
Where'd you go?
Hit me up sometime. We're going to Hertford on Friday.

704-280-1528

And to answer your question, unfortunately, I don't think paint/clearcoat will solve the problem. That stuff is baked on.

#10 ·
guys I am, waking this thread from the dead! i need new rotors and pads mine are squealing when it gets cold.. how is everyone liking the r1s?

#11 ·
I'm sitting here waiting on the UPS man as I type ... I am getting them installed this afternoon.

#13 ·
LOL right on bro! They are gonna look sexy ;-)

#15 ·
Got mine in and had them installed :)

#18 ·
It's been raining non stop here in NE Texas! I think we have some good weather starting today ... We will see. I will post up pics as soon as I can clean my rig up and make her look presentable ;-)

#19 ·
Just posted pics in my own thread :D

#23 ·
Where are you getting the your R1's cryo'd at. Is there a vendor that sells this as a package w/ the rotors and pads?

#25 ·
just ordered mine aweee yeah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.