Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

6.1 to 7.0 426 STROKER build. Everything I will need?!

27K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  bilal 
#1 ·
I have seen numerous posts on this stroker build but none of them are completely clear on what is absolutely needed. So here it is, what exactly is needed to build a street/strip friendly N/A 426 stroker?? Here is what I plan on doing, any input on this would be great.

I have a stock 6.1 wk1. In order to turn it into a 426 stroker here is what I plan to do.

1. Manley internals....all of them. Crank/pistons/rods/valves/springs/pushrods
2. Stock heads sent out for CNC porting, my machine shop will be finishing the valve job
3. Manley timing chain upgrade to the double row chain setup
4. Cam... Have not decided brand or lift yet
5. Stainless works catless headers
6. Borla-S catback, may be cutting off resonators (don't care about drone need that rumble!)
7. QTP cutouts
8. Diablosport Intune I-1000 tuner
9. CAI...Have not decided brand yet
10. Catch Can...Have not decided brand yet

Here are my questions.
1. Cam...Brand and lift, which would be best for mostly street driving? I want upwards of the max lift I can achieve while still being street friendly. In other words most lobe-over glug glug sound at idle while being streetable. I don't plan on any super or turbo upgrades, I want to keep it natural.
2. Timing chain set..Really necessary or overkill?
3. CNC porting the heads...Necessary or overkill?
4. Diablosport tuner, will I be able to find a plug and play tune for this setup from a tuner around the nation?
5. Stock fuel pump and injectors...Do I need to upgrade the pump to a higher rate and the same with higher cc injectors? Possible to run stock and hope the Intune map will handle it?

I plan on starting this build asap. Any helpful info would be great. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Pistons(Low comp, high comp, mid comp?) High comp or mid comp for your application as you want NA build
H beam Rods with good fasteners(arp2000) Or IBeams for diff applications
Iron or Steel Rings (SS for boost, you don't need them though for NA)
Good Wrist Pins
Main studs
Stroker Crank
Cam bearings
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Valves(larger valves are nice, but depending on how much NA HP you want to make there are other good options available besides a stock ported 6.1 head)
Springs
Retainers
Pushrods
Crank Bolt
Cam bolt
Lower Engine gaskets(front main, rear main, windage tray/pan gasket etc)(Cometic)
Front cover gasket(OEM)
New oil pump(OEM)
Head Gaskets(oem or cometic)
Head bolts/Head Studs(depending on application)
Timing Set (oem or manley/crower double rollers)
Custom Cam(based on application, COMP custom grind)
New lifters(OEM)
Rocker shafts(OEM)
Ported Intake Manifold
90MM Throttle Body(Arrington, bbk)
Manifold Gaskets(Cometic)
Exhaust Gaskets(OEM)

Think that about covers the engine parts top to bottom besides the buildup of the motor, machining/labor paint etc...then consider your supporting mods, fuel upgrades(injectors and high volume fuel pump at least), trans upgrades, converter, etc etc. Then you have your other bolts ons that you speak of; headers, catback, cold air intake etc

I can set you up a-z if you need :)

#4 ·
OEM Oil pump is cheap, like 70 or 80 bucks, I don't have pricing in front of me at the moment though.

Injectors vary, can be as cheap as 400 and up for something large enough to support what you're doing, you don't need anything high end for just a stroker so $400 is a good safe number I'd say, and as far as a fuel pump goes, I would do like a TI400(Walbro400LPH) and just swap it out for the stock pump...don't have to but if you want a little insurance this is a cheap addition.

I'd also consider a trans combo too btw...that kind of torque from the 426 is going to fry your stock trans in a matter of weeks if not sooner. Also you need to factor in an AFR kit to help with fine tuning and colder spark plugs too, 1 step will be fine for your application. Like I said, we can set you up from start to finish for everything you need. This is easy!

#7 ·
Subscribed!

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, it seems like a clean $4500 short block and your done, but then your 7-8 G's deep in new cam, lifters, heads, gaskets, timing chain, balancer, new pumps, and the list seems like it never ends. Good luck with everything brother. I do a lot of my own work, so I know the satisfaction and frustration that can come with it! I'm actually gonna go from my 419 to a 394 in the next couple weeks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
#15 ·
where are you located?

#16 ·
I got a high compression 462 with HHP stage 4 cam and 6.4lL dominator heads. Full port and polish on the intake manifold and heads with 90mm TB. Made 552hp. I drive mine daily and it has a very nice idle and is very street able.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
Haven't had the chance yet. Motor was put in oct and I just only in the past few weeks got it broken in and up to HHP to get it dyno tuned. I can't wait though to let it rip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
Guys! Sorry it has been so long! Trying to revive this thread: I'm still looking to rebuild my engine in the next few weeks now. Originally I thought what the hell if i'm already in there this would be the time to perform a 426 transplant. Here's my problem: Talked to alot of people and it seems the 426 my not be worth the $. Alot of builders are giving the opinion of keeping it a 6.1 and adding forced induction. From what I was told a bolt on procharger would make more power with less external mods( tranny, transfer case, head porting, etc...) The 426 would need to change converter as well as the power curve is substantially different. What do you guys think? I want it to sound mean with a cam that is aggressive yet streetable. Already have full exhaust (stainless works long tube headers, borla-s catback...CAI and a Trinity). Ideas and opinions are very welcome tell me what you think. Thanks!

#28 ·
Without touching the motor a SC will probably be faster. That being said SC alone you will easily have enough hp to destroy a trans if you beat on it. The 426 will probably make less power but probably has a little better low end tq so it will be tough on a trans as well. If you just have heads and cam and beat on it you can eventually kill the trans. If you have to fix your motor anyway mine as well go the 426 route as you can boost that too and make more power and if you do forged internals you could really turn it up in the future.

#24 ·
would love to know who told you that lie. lol. regardless of what you do, its not a mattwer of if, its a matter of WHEN you'll need a tranny. A well built 426 and 6.1 procharger on 8#'s make close to the same HP. A built 6.1 WITH forced induction is going to run you 10k+. Im still running stock transmission and torque converter on my 426.

#25 ·
kmitch80: How do you like the 426 power? Obviously a substantial torque gain but what i'm asking is in street driving terms. Also what is the brand of your rotating assembly? Ported stock heads? Ported Intake? Stock Throttle Body? What stage cam and brand? Do tell! Sorry for being nosy!

#26 ·
Also: Anyone used Wiseco brand products? I see they make a rotating assy for the 426 conversion. I build watercraft and have mixed emotions on Wiseco, depending on the application. I ask bc I can get the parts at my dealer cost. Was originally thinking a Manley setup.

#29 ·
If you have patience you could fully build your motor now and go all out with it. Then once the bank account recovers add a turbo/supercharger kit and be good to go as long as a tranny was replaced somewhere along the line haha

#30 ·
I have a built Arrington 426 and vortech and its a blasty blast!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.