Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Worlds Fastest SUV

4K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  NipEater 
#1 · (Edited)
Well guys while i was checking my email a friend of mine sent me this link , its kinda old but i wanted to share with u guys. The title of the Article is Porsche Relcaims "Worlds Fastest SUV" with Cayenne Turbo S

And see how we get humilated through out the article :S

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Porsche/review/2006-porsche-cayenne-turbo-s-preview/1664/

These are there competitors as they claim: Direct Competitors: Audi Q7(WTF), BMW X5 4.8is(really?), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged(U serious)/Range Rover Sport Supercharged(no way), Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG, VW Touareg W12 Sport

#2 ·
They're clueless!!!!!

4.8 seconds...........I see posts from many on here showing we are more like 4.5 0-60. And due to our gearing, by the time both have hit 0-60 in a similar time, the jeep has already jumped 1.5-2 car lengths on the Cayanne.

Get a clue automobile magazine!!!!

#3 ·
stealing the title back from DaimlerChrysler (well, only partially so being that Jeeps GC SRT8 is said to bypass the 60 mph mark in "under 5 seconds", which may well result in 4.8 - look for a battle to ensue),
They didnt really say that its faster, they just said that the jeep is claimed to run under 5 seconds, and they are guessing around 4.8. And who cares, when Jeep puts the 6.4 in the SRT in will smoke it even more. And it costs $61,000 less. You could put twin turbos or just a supercharger on the Jeep and it'll still cost 440,000 less. And the Porsche has more than one intercooler?

#5 ·
Look at the date of that article (Jan '06). There wasn't enough info on the SRT8 at that time. I just picked up the June '07 issue of Automobile and they did a compo of the 5 fastest SUV's, the SRT8, Cayenne turbo, ML63 AMG, Range Rover S.C. and the X5. Performance tests of all vehicles showed the SRT8 faster to 60 than all 5 at 4.4 sec and second in the 1/4 to the ML63 by only .1 sec (Jeep @13.2 and ML63 @ 13.1). I think this test is right on with the stock performance most of are getting from our Jeeps. To be fair in this test the Porsche wasn't the Turbo-S version but it was still priced at $106, 595. So if someone wants to shell out a little more for the S version and still get spanked by an SRT8 I say go for it. The only thing I see the Porsche getting us on is top speed which is no surprise when comparing European and Domestic vehicles. In this test the Jeep had the lowest "as tested" price of the 5. We have nothing to worry about. ;)

#6 ·
NitroCrzy said:
I can tell you from personal experience the new 2008 Cayenne twin turbo... is faster than our jeeps... He pulled a 13.07 quarter to my 13.30... :(
That may be the case with the new '08 but this article was refering to the '06. Besides I went to the track a couple weeks ago and ran several consistant 13.1 passes. I just spent $14.95 for a cooler T-stat. Add that to the $45 I spent on the K&N filter and that brings the total cost of my mods to $59.95. I should be running faster than 13.07 now and my Jeep still only cost me $45,600. 'nough said don't you think? :D

#9 ·
That article is rediculous. I buy vehicles for bang for the buck, if you can achieve similar performance (or better) from a vehicle costing three times less, I'd be embarassed to drive the Porsche. Simply overpriced uber-engineering. I'd expect at least twice the performance for the $.

#11 ·
NitroCrzy said:
I can tell you from personal experience the new 2008 Cayenne twin turbo... is faster than our jeeps... He pulled a 13.07 quarter to my 13.30... :(

Bring him to me and ill jump a 12.6 on his ass and then they can rewrite this BS article.They may have the top end but we will spank him in the 1/4 mile.

Darwinian said:
That article is rediculous. I buy vehicles for bang for the buck, if you can achieve similar performance (or better) from a vehicle costing three times less, I'd be embarassed to drive the Porsche. Simply overpriced uber-engineering. I'd expect at least twice the performance for the $.

EXACTLY!

Can you imagine our SRT8's with a TT tuned set up!!!!

#13 ·
FastJeepSRT8 said:
Look at the date of that article (Jan '06). There wasn't enough info on the SRT8 at that time. I just picked up the June '07 issue of Automobile and they did a compo of the 5 fastest SUV's, the SRT8, Cayenne turbo, ML63 AMG, Range Rover S.C. and the X5. Performance tests of all vehicles showed the SRT8 faster to 60 than all 5 at 4.4 sec and second in the 1/4 to the ML63 by only .1 sec (Jeep @13.2 and ML63 @ 13.1). I think this test is right on with the stock performance most of are getting from our Jeeps. To be fair in this test the Porsche wasn't the Turbo-S version but it was still priced at $106, 595. So if someone wants to shell out a little more for the S version and still get spanked by an SRT8 I say go for it. The only thing I see the Porsche getting us on is top speed which is no surprise when comparing European and Domestic vehicles. In this test the Jeep had the lowest "as tested" price of the 5. We have nothing to worry about. ;)
There is no more Turbo S. As far as top speed, we can hit 168 too supposedly.

#14 ·
Dave said:
Probably not stock. The new 08 Turbos posted a 13.5 which is basically what the Turbo S ran.

The dude has connections and managed to get his hands on the first one in the middle east... no ****... factory they are quicker than our SRT's. Although, some of you guys have been able to get in the 12's with little mod's. My best so far is a 13.213@103mph. The night we raced it was pretty warm 85*+ and the best I pulled was a 13.30@102mph.

In my defense, my tires were totally burned off from running on the track.

#15 ·
NitroCrzy said:
The dude has connections and managed to get his hands on the first one in the middle east... no ****... factory they are quicker than our SRT's. Although, some of you guys have been able to get in the 12's with little mod's. My best so far is a 13.213@103mph. The night we raced it was pretty warm 85*+ and the best I pulled was a 13.30@102mph.

I'm sure in that kind of heat his turbo helped him but even still he didn't get you by much and he payed a lot more than you did for your SRT8. I think that's the whole point here. So he nudged you by .2 sec in the 1/4 on a 85 deg day. I should hope so! If I paid over $100K for the "Worlds Fastest SUV" :rolleyes: I'd be really pissed that I had to run down a $45K Jeep only to nudge him by .2 at the line. IMO you won bro, you should be razzing the hell out of this guy. :D

#16 ·
very well guys seems we got alot of Cayenne haters here :D nwayz iam trying to arange a race between me and a friend of mine who owns a cayenne Turbo S but iam postponding it until i recieve my Borla S-type exhaust i,ll take a vid and i,ll update ya guys.

laters.

#17 ·
FastJeepSRT8 said:
I'm sure in that kind of heat his turbo helped him but even still he didn't get you by much and he payed a lot more than you did for your SRT8. I think that's the whole point here. So he nudged you by .2 sec in the 1/4 on a 85 deg day. I should hope so! If I paid over $100K for the "Worlds Fastest SUV" :rolleyes: I'd be really pissed that I had to run down a $45K Jeep only to nudge him by .2 at the line. IMO you won bro, you should be razzing the hell out of this guy. :D

Not a hater but just dissappointed. Was really hoping to get into the 12's that night and it would have sure been nice to edge him out. My reaction times are not that great and I'm pretty sure with a couple minor mod's I can take him. Maybe it's time to order some heads and a supercharger? :)

#20 ·
ive had an 04, 05, and 06 Cayenne Turbo, along with an 06 Turbo S, and now have a Jeep SRT8. I can tell you that below 40, we will kill them. I can also tell you anything above 60 and we are BUSLENGTHS behind them. This is coming from a SRT8 enthusiast and Porsche owner. Im on my 12th porsche right now.

#21 ·
I can also tell you anything above 60 and we are BUSLENGTHS behind them. This is coming from a SRT8 enthusiast and Porsche owner. Im on my 12th porsche right now.[/QUOTE]

Ummm.....NOT!
Take 1 of your many Porsche's and meet anyone of us that is in your town for a little 1 on 1. I'm sure "Buslengths" is not the same when it's someone else driving the SRT and not your butt-o-meter doing the judging Mr. Enthusiast :rolleyes:
EX-SVTMAN

PS- If you're ever in Fla the Miami area I'll be happy to test your theory.:cool:

#22 ·
renntech36 said:
ive had an 04, 05, and 06 Cayenne Turbo, along with an 06 Turbo S, and now have a Jeep SRT8. I can tell you that below 40, we will kill them. I can also tell you anything above 60 and we are BUSLENGTHS behind them. This is coming from a SRT8 enthusiast and Porsche owner. Im on my 12th porsche right now.
Bull****, every test has the SRT8 ahead through the 1/4 mile by a significant margin . The 08 is a different story but we are still quicker through the quarter.

#23 ·
NitroCrzy said:

Nah, I did some research and found out that guy was modded (he posted on 6speedonline). The 08 Cayenne has been tested to 13.5 by automobile magazine.

#24 ·
So then what the hell is he talkin about...I'd love for him to race Inferno and get his ass handed to him...PORSCHE... THERE IS A SUBSTITUE (SRT8).

#26 ·
whoops!!!!
A porch is a structure attached to the front or back entrance of a building. It is external to the walls of the main building proper, but may be enclosed by screen, latticework, broad windows, or other light frame walls extending from the main structure. There are various styles of porches, all of which depend on the architectural tradition of its location. Verandahs, for example, are usually quite large and may encompass the entire facade as well as the sides of a structure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.