Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Got my first speeding ticket

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Str8Srt8 
#1 ·
Well, not really a speeding ticket.

Here's how it went down. I was cutting through a town house community here in PA and got caught with VASCAR doing 38 in a 25 (yeah I know, kinda weak in our beast). The cop was cool and gave me a ticket under PA's vehicle code section 3111A, which is failure to obey a traffic device and carries no points :cool:

The guy was cool. Told me the residents of the community had been complaining so they lowered the speed limit from 35 to 25 and began ticketing. Sure enough the same people who complained to the town, are now the one's he tickets (karmas a ***** ;) ).

Anyway, got off easy. The ticket is for $106.50 though, but I can't complain too much seeing as I didn't get caught doing 140 mph down I-95 last weekend :eek:

#2 ·
I feel you. I got one this past weekend during a road trip from Seattle to Boise Idaho. I was in VERY rural eastern Oregon and got an 86 in a 65. My first speeding ticket in like 10 years and it was't even like I was flying around. I'm having a full radar kit installed next week.

#4 ·
ge2 said:
I feel you. I got one this past weekend during a road trip from Seattle to Boise Idaho. I was in VERY rural eastern Oregon and got an 86 in a 65. My first speeding ticket in like 10 years and it was't even like I was flying around. I'm having a full radar kit installed next week.
as opposed to a 1/2 of a radar kit?:D By the way,what is VASCAR?

#5 ·
radduc said:
as opposed to a 1/2 of a radar kit?:D By the way,what is VASCAR?
In Pennsylvania state law prohibits local law enforcement to use radar. Only state police are allowed to use radar and they mainly patrol highways, so local law enforcement use VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder).

Basically local municipalities use painted lines of a known distance on a road to calculate the speed a vehicle is traveling.

Usually very easy to prepare for, just slow down when you see the first line, then mash the gas again once you have passed the other. I, unfortuanately, was not paying attention as I normally do for the lines and this time, there just happened to be an officer timing people.

#8 ·
radduc said:
That blows! I was unawre that only the highway cops use radar.
Yep. In fact, up until recently, only Philadelphia highway patrol monitored highways in the city of Philadelphia, and they are not allowed to use radar, so that is why people drive like madmen.

Now, since the crime rate has skyrocketed in Phila. recently, the state police are taking over patrol of all highways inside the city limits (with the exception I believe of Woodhaven Road and the Roosevelt Blvd Ext which is the highway portion of RT 1 within the city limits).

Definately a bummer for me. I loved being able to travel at high rates of speed on I-95 cause I knew exactly where the painted VASCAR lines were along the entire length :(

#10 ·
radduc said:
Why is it not legal for them to use radar??NOT FAIR???
Not really sure? Maybe the legislature is afraid that local hick town cops are not to be trusted?

All I know is I have known about this since the first day I drove and it is crazy how many people in this state don't have clue what the painted lines in the road are used for and fly through them all the time.

If you know what they are used for, and keep a watchful eye all the time, it is nearly impossible for you to be caught in a local jurisdiction speed trap. But the key is keeping a watchful eye, for if you don't, you end up like me. But I have saved myself from getting a ticket several times by just slowing down when I come up on the lines.

Either way, this is good info for you out-of-staters. :D

#11 · (Edited)
barho said:
Well, not really a speeding ticket.

Here's how it went down. I was cutting through a town house community here in PA and got caught with VASCAR doing 38 in a 25 (yeah I know, kinda weak in our beast). The cop was cool and gave me a ticket under PA's vehicle code section 3111A, which is failure to obey a traffic device and carries no points :cool:

The guy was cool. Told me the residents of the community had been complaining so they lowered the speed limit from 35 to 25 and began ticketing. Sure enough the same people who complained to the town, are now the one's he tickets (karmas a ***** ;) ).

Anyway, got off easy. The ticket is for $106.50 though, but I can't complain too much seeing as I didn't get caught doing 140 mph down I-95 last weekend :eek:

Do you want to feel really bad???

He wrote you up for failure to obey a traffic device because it is illegal to post a residential street with a 25 mile per hour speed limit that is enforceable unless you have an engineering study done to prove the reduction in the posted speed limit is justified.

My guess is they posted it without a study, so, technically, he can't write you up for speeding. Then, he makes you feel like he's cutting you a break by writing you up for the "lesser" fine, when, in fact, that's all he can write you up for.

If you would have insisted on the "speeding" ticket, you could have gone to the magistrate and gotten out of it...but you can't get out of this one.

Sorry...it's the traffic engineer in me that made me reply to this...:(

#14 ·
ge2 said:

I did that run end of May across 90. I don't have radar either and noticed a few patrollers both ways. There's definetaly a lot of rural out that way.

In Nevada, I would get a kick out of the state troopers who would line up on the other side of an overpass, and take off once they spot the car that was radioed in from the air bear circling above. The most troopers I counted on a sting was 9. that's right, 9 troopers just fillin the coffer! I'm glad the Jeep has the sun roof, it's easier to spot the air bears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.