Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

undecided...little boy or ppp stage 2 plz help

7K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Julian@PowerPorted 
#1 ·
Not sure which cam to get i want something thats gna give me good mph but dont really want to loose low end power?? Also for the ppp i would hv to change springs n pushrods am i right?? And the little boy is just the cam swap? Any help appreciated

#2 ·
I'd just hit up Andy at PWR. He'll get u a custom cam for your need.

Sent from my IPhone

#11 ·
I now have Keoni's old cam in my Jeep now and I love it, but like Ekaz said, I would recommend to upgrade springs/pushrods for any cam install.

#6 ·
I agree with calling Andy and recommend that you upgrade your springs and pushrods with any cam upgrade.

#10 · (Edited)
i run a cam from andy. the PWR 220 cam. and im very happy with it.still running stock springs but using custom lenth forged rods. the cam pulls like hell on top if you ask me and dont really feel any low end loss at all

#12 · (Edited)
yeah if you are going to upgrade the spings/retainers/push rods then you can pretty much go with any cam as long as the Springs you choose wiill handle the lift of your cam... I chose the Lil boy because at the time did not want to do springs and only did forged push rods... However I do plan on either upgrading the springs onmy heads or buy a set of ported heads in the future. I am very happy with how the Litttle Boy has performed for me so far... Its a great cam for the street/strip only wish the cam was a little bit more lopey....

#14 · (Edited)
Remember, springs/hardened push rods/retainers still only let u run a cam designed for the stock head, which has limited retainer to guide clearance. Lift is limited to .575. That said, unless a vendor designs a grind with a crazy ramp rate, I'm not sold push rods are a must on any stock head setup. Springs are very borderline and should be addressed with any aggressive grind, even if it's stock lift. Retainers...just do em, cheap insurance.

So summary, if you're really out to gain big power NA, you're gonna be pulling the heads to grind down the guides and get that lift over .600, plenty of flow there even on a stock or mildy polished head setup. If your average Joe looking to grab some more torque an a few ponies up top, stick with a grind to fit your stock heads, like the small boy or any grind Andy can do, don't try to push the stock springs and push rods, you'll only gain a few HP and run a risk of a snapped spring or bent push rod

Reactions: Knuckles
#15 ·
Don't forget a convertor, if you're staying stock tell the person grinding your cam or you'll be a pig outta the hole, you'll hate your jeep and a week later already be saving a swap. Stock stall is a good match for a stock head cam, so don't fret

#18 ·
I ordered a ppp stage 2 with 113lsa like harrisons i love the way it idles and also ordered powerbond ud pulley just need to order springs n pushrods which i was told i could get from andy....i hvnt got any shipping info on my parts yet so who knows when ill get them lol

#19 ·
Cool brother! Yeah I always liked the way that Cam sounded especially when Harrison posted up that video.... hehehehe.. Good choice!

#24 ·
He can make one that is very similar specs. P.M. him.

#28 ·
whats up guys, need some help. where can i get a little boy cam and is it true that i can run it with stock springs/rockers
I ran my little boy for 8,000 trouble free miles on stock springs and rods. No problems at all and lots of guys on here had even considerably more and still going. I even put the stock tune back in for going to the dealer. Again, no problems.

How soon before you want to buy a little boy? I'll be selling mine in the next month for a blower cam.

#33 ·
Needs a tune. I wouldn't run any aftermarket cam without a CMR tune

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Going to table this for next spring when I get my bonus check. I might just have to do this.

Are there ports to hold the lifters up in the heads? What's a good site to read on the 6.1 in other cars. I have no idea what other cars and I guess trucks use the 6.1

#38 ·
Cool man!!! Cam is the best bang for the buck IMO and you will be happy with the cam as I am with it...

#39 ·
No ports to hold the lifters. Spin the engine over by hand a time or two with the rockers disconnected and they should stay up long enough for you to pull old cam and put new cam in. Always worked for us.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.