Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

First Time Track Impressions

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WHIPLASH 
#1 ·
I finally had a chance to get the beast down to New England Dragway yesterday. My overall impressions are good, but I was a little dissapointed that I was not able to lay the smack down on my buddie's '94 Cobra.

My SRT8 is bone stock with 1800 miles on it, and weighs 4944 pounds with me and 1/4 of a tank of gas.

His car is a 94 Cobra with a 95 Cobra R drivetrain, AFR 185 Heads, Extruded honed Cobra upper Intake, Crower 15512 Cam, BBK 75MM TB, 90MM lightning Mass Air Meter, 1.7 Rockers, Magnaflow Magnapack catback, off road roush H-pipe, Roush headers, Nitto drag radials. Not sure what he weighed in at, but I think it was 1000 pounds less anyways.

We raced 2 times in 90* heat and high humidity. These are the best times we posted against each other.

GC SRT8's best time

60'- 1.966

1/8 - 8.714

MPH- 78.93

1000- 11.392

1/4- 13.647

MPH- 99.61

94 Cobra's best time

60' - 2.006

1/8 - 8.68

MPH - 82.32

1000 - 11.226

1/4 - 13.391

MPH - 104.26

Here are a couple of videos that my buddy took.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/TravisMcEwen05/?action=view&current=015-1.flv

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/TravisMcEwen05/?action=view&current=016.flv[/QUOTE]

My best run was actually my first pass, which was a solo run.

60'=1.898
1/8=8.689
MPH=78.71
1/4=13.629
MPH=99.66

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are pretty good stock numbers bro. Congrats!! Our Jeeps love the cooler weather though. Get yourself a 180 t-stat, and the fan mod, to keep the engine cooler while you're in the staging lanes. Also, how did you launch?? My best 60 fts are when I dont power brake. One foot on the brake, and on the last yellow light, stomp on the gas. 1.8 60ft. Also turn the t/c button off, and I leave mine in autostick as opposed to D.

#3 ·
It's the weather that's killin' ya. Good stock times, though. :)

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I launched in D brake stalling to 1500 rpm's. I am going to experiment with launch styles and see what works the best for me.

As far as the weather goes, it was hot as a mofo!! I stood in the staging lanes for about 1 hour waiting for my last run and it was brutal on that pavement. Certainly not the best day to run the Jeep, but I am still very happy with the results overall. Cooler weather will be here soon, and I will be back down.

What kind of gains are you guys seeing at the track with a CAI as far as ET and MPH?

#5 ·
Try launching in autostick next time with the traction control off and let it shift itself.

Also, if you pull the fuse for the fan in the fuse box under the hood, then the fan will be on high speed permanently which is good for keeping temps down in the staging lanes. However, it will throw a check engine light that will remain even after you put the fuse back in. When you get done, you'll need to clear the codes by removing a battery cable and pressing the brake for 15 seconds or so to clear the computer memory.

#6 ·
I did have the TC off, but did not use auto stick. I will try your suggestions next time out:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.