Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Went to test drive an SRT-8 at Zeigler in Schaumburg, IL and got turned down ...

6K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Cdog 
#1 ·
A couple months ago, I went into Zeigler of Schaumburg to test drive an Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 and the sales guy wouldn't let me test drive one because I told him I wasn't going to be making the purchase that same day.

I have been debating between an SRT-8, a BMW X5 and a Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

I told them that when I walked in, that I wanted to test drive the car so I could see whether I like it or not. I like to think I am an intelligent person making a rational decision when purchasing items over $10k.

Is that so wrong? The sales guy told me that he is only letting people test drive that are serious about buying the car that day. Who knows, if I drove it, I might have actually thrown down some money and drove off the lot with one.

Anyway, I decided that the 2007 models were too ugly inside so I waited for the 2008 model. Unfortunately, every time I stop at a Jeep dealership, they never have one in stock to test drive.

I am still looking to buy a new SUV, but it certainly won't be at Zeigler.

Has anyone else gone to Zeigler and had this problem?

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't go back there until you have a new one with a sticker from Champion Dondge. Come on. The rest of us bought from him. You're lucky enough to not have to pay shipping. It'll be worth the trip. I was comparing those cars for my wife and it wasn't even close.

#5 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I have read about Don and am happy he is here in Illinois.

I'll definitely look him up. Barrington is only 30 minutes from where I live so maybe it would be worth it to stop by there one weeknd soon.

I decided to wait until it gets warmer out and maybe make it a birthday present for myself. :D

#9 ·
Don is the man.

I just was in there on Thursday and talked with him about the SRT8s, along with diesel performance somewhat since that's what I've been into for a while now, and talked a little about other Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.
Great guy to deal with.....trying to talk my sister into a mini van from him :)

He let me test drive one for a short drive. Like yourself I told Don I wasn't going to pull the trigger that day but wanted to make sure it was comfortable and it was what I really wanted to buy.

As for stock...they had 1 2007 (new) in stock and 10 2008s. Crappy cell phone pic:

I thought it was a huge inventory of these things....and he said he was actually a little "lighter" than normal :D

Definitely my best experience with a salesmen who hasn't ever met me or dealt with me before.

#11 ·
Zeigler's Sucks @ss. I went there when i was shopping for my '07. I asked if i could test drive an 06 and they said "no" - Than I asked if i could just check the car out. Well the salesman couldn't find it - we went to the service dept and he asked the guy and the guy said that the owner (female) was driving it - and she was in hoffman estates. I laughed and said "wow" you guys are really gonna sell alot of cars like that. And I left. The guy called me a week later asking if i was interested and i told him that i got an 07 for the same price they were trying to sell their 06 "owners daily driver"

#12 ·
typically,most dealerships won't let you test drive their flagship high performance vehicles for many reasons.for one they're trying to eliminate the weekend joyriders who are not really serious about buying one of these exclusive vehicles,and most buyers interested in this particular vehicle are car guys and don't want one with hundreds of test drive miles on it.

#15 ·
Don is definitely the person to talk to.

very cool guy to talk to. and i know a lot of people that have bought from Don.

can't wait until they buid their new dealership.

#16 ·
Wow. I didn't expect so many replies.

Thanks a lot guys. It looks like Don is the man in the midwest.

The funny thing about Zeigler and the one in Arlington Heights and Winnetka is that I actually knew more about the car than the salesperson did.

As I looked around the interior for the microphone, I had one salesman tell me that the car speakers act as a microphone.

I couldn't believe my ears. Unbelievable.

I told him there must be a microphone somwhere and he stated again that the car speakers acted as the microphone.

So I left. I won't be buying from Arlington Heights on Dundee. That's for sure.

#17 ·
Not sure how old you are but you also have to realize that salesmen take a lot of other things in consideration such as how you were dressed, and what vehicle you rolled up in. When I used to work at a Chevy dealership we turned down plenty of requests to test drive vettes and other performance vehicles we had on the lot, even the used ones.

Like many others have said call up Don, I drove a couple hours from where I am living now just to see if all this hype was true. And it was. Beautifully maintained vehicles, knowledgeable and friendly staff and the most painless deal I have ever secured.

#19 ·
Another great place to look at is Extreme Jeep in McHenry. I bought my truck there and I am friends with the Owner George. You can't go wrong with Champion either as I am friends with the two owner there and if you are looking for a third option check out Crystal Lake Chrysler Jeep and ask for the owner Gary. Just tell them that Jason from AutoTrader.com sent you there and they will give you a straight deal.

#20 ·
Man I hate dealers like that. Had the same thing happen to me twice. Once buying a minivan for my wife, before we drove ANYTHING the salesperson asked what kindof montly payment I was looking for, and tried to get me to sign a piece of paper that said "I will buy this car TODAY if the dealer can get me a monthly payment under $$$" We left.

Second time I was looking for a new car for myself, I went & test drove a VW Golf Turbo, and left my old car there (older VW Golf) for them to inspect & let me know what they would give me as a trade. After I got back, the salesman RELENTLESSLY tried to get me to buy the car that day, I told him "sorry but I don't make a $24k decision over my lunch break. I'll think about it and let you know." The sales manager, still holding the keys to my car after they inspected it, sat there and ragged me about "wasting his time" and "putting miles on one of his cars for no reason" and "joyriding a new car." I snatched my keys and told him I agreed, I guess I was wasting his time, 'cause I would never be back!

Sorry for the long post but man that $hit PISSES ME OFF. I mean, I realize these guys get paid on commission and aren't exactly excited to help a guy whom they think isn't going to put cash in their pocket that day, but a little "service with a smile" goes a long way. Who knows, an extra 10 minutes today might put a sale in your book next week. Telling a guy to piss off DEFINITELY not putting a sale in your book.

Every time I've shopped around for vehicles I've done the same thing, I usually research online & narrow down to 2 or 3, test drive them all, weigh the options, and make my decision. I always keep track of the salesperson I talk to at each dealership so the guy who helped me originally gets the sale if I return.

#22 ·
Just took delivery of my silver SRT8 from Zeigler after they allowed a test drive. Outstanding overall sales & delivery experience, and best of all got it for $3,600 under sticker fully loaded. They will definitely accomodate your desired price if you are a serious buyer.
Highly recommend Zeigler even though their SRT8 inventory may not be as plentiful as Champion's. Ask for Tom "the Marine" in sales, a true pro who knows how to conduct an excellent sales presentation.

#28 · (Edited)
Traded in my gold 2001 Ford Explorer Sport V6, which in now on Zeigler's site in "cars under $10,000" That was a great vehicle, over 87,000 dependable miles but moving up to this Jeep is like going from the Flinstones to the Jetsons! Fantastic vehicle so far, solidly built and performs as advertised. No longer need to print out a MapQuest before going on a trip.
This is a very good forum for information, I did research it before buying. Also considered BMW X5 (not enough power, too expensive) Audi Q7 (too big & slow, but super nice interior) and Trailblazer SS (prefer Jeep styling)

#30 ·
AGREED!!!!!!!

#33 ·
I've been to Zeigler as I work in Schaumburg at Zurich.

They have an eliteist attidue, while they have ONE, count it - ONE SRT on the lot - a black one. They have had it since early May.

I told them I wanted a RED with Navi...They called me when they had the black one, and I questioned their intelligence and sales tactics.

Champion in Barrington has THE best SRT inventory in the midwest - with at least 10 to choose from at any given time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.