Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

anyone try the DIY VHT tail light tint?

12K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  BLKBULL 
#1 ·
if so how'd it turn out?

#2 ·
I tinted my fog lights on my old mustang, took a couple trys to get it to look right, hard not to get an un even coat. Kinda has a purple tint to them, that was on white lights though. i dont know about red tail lights. personally i think you are better off getting the professionally done. here is what they looked like. had to lightly sand them with 1500 grit to get it to look good

#3 ·
I've heard they look terrible compared to 70% black 30% clear from the body shop

#4 ·
My vote is for a black/clear mix and professionally done. I used the NiteShades on one of my cars in high school. It was cheap to do, but I like my professionally painted tails much much better.

#6 ·
It all depends how you do it...

I scuff the tail light, apply 3 light coats of VHT, let it sit 10 min in between coats.

Let it sit for 20 minutes and apply 4 coats of automotive or krylon clear.

Let it all dry for 24 hours. Come back and wetsand with 2000 grit until its dull.

Then use polishing compound to bring it to a glass like shine..

I have done 6-8 vehicles and none have had issues...

Most only spray the vht on, and no clear. Which dull's fast and looks like crap..

Reactions: DrSheldonCooper
#11 ·
I agree with you 100% if you follow those steps you will get great results.. i did my rear fogs and 3rd brake light and am very pleased with the results i got.. :)

#7 ·
Changed my mind just ordered sand paper going to try this thanks bud^

#9 ·
Just finished thanks!

#14 ·
That's a damn good job using VHT. All depends on the user and steps followed.

Most do a poor job of it, LOL.

Professionally done will look good.....best is with a custom mix that is not black and clear as mentioned for various reasons if you are familiar with professional auto body paint (I have a friend who owns a body shop with 3 paint systems and another friend who ran a body shop supply shop for many years, trained by PPG, ProSpray, etc.).

#18 ·
So far it's coming along well. This is just with 3 light coats of VHT and 4 coats of clear, letting it dry overnight. Tomorrow morning I will polish the crap out of it n hopes of it looking glass like. Big shout out to rocky for the info, followed it to a tee n so far I'm liking the results.

#21 ·
i did all five of my taillights doing these steps and following that video. mine turned out just as good. for a couple of cans of vht, and clear coat it turned out awesome. i polished mine with two different compounds then waxed them. they looks like glass.

#23 ·
i have tinted probably 10 cars with this. I didnt even need to go through the trouble the video states. all we have done in the past is spray pretty decently heavy coats just before the point where it almost start dripping. Let it sit about 15-20 minutes in between coats. Usually 3-4 coats depending on how dark you want it. Not once have i ever sanded or clear coated lights but they always have a glossy shine to them. ill try to get some picks from some cars.

#24 · (Edited)
no sanding or clear coat needed

heres one :)

2- my old car and bike

and 3

final one i swear

#26 ·
thanks. I will say it took probably 3 cans before my buddy and i figured out the trick. It is as simple as the lighter the coat, the foggier or more matte it looks. The thicker the coats the more glossy.

but yes the sanding and clear coat will give the best result but a decent gloss is achievable purely by amount and timing of spray.

#27 ·
End result:

The lighting is pretty bad, but they're not as dark as I expected. Also aren't as glossy as I'd like, but I buffed it by hand and my hand started to hurt so I only had two coats on each lamp in me. I'm gonna buff em out at work tomorrow with a buffer.

Also the license plate frame was a gift from my mom n I had to put it on, even tho it's a bit of an overkill with the SRT logo just to the right lol

#28 ·
How many layers did you do? And how long did you wait in between coats?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.