Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Has anyone found a good replacement for the front shocks?

21K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  SlickBrick 
#1 ·
The creaking I keep getting from the Bilsteins on normal roads is driving me crazy, even on a second set of them.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm installing a set of performance Bilstein's next week that is supposed to be a direct replacement for OEM...are you saying they are not as good as OEM?

My Jeep as 130,000km on the original OEM's and they now are just showing signs of wear/weakness...was thinking they would last longer???

#4 · (Edited)
My performance shop just installed Bilstein front replacements shocks on my Jeep...these were not bought from a Mopar dealer, but rather ordered direct from a Bilstein supplier as "SRT replacements"... They were half the cost of buying from a dealer but I was assured they were the same shocks i would get at the dealer paying twice as much.

They don't seem as stiff as the OEM's...and I get a noticeable bounce over speed bumps that I never got before??? Anybody have any experience here to comment?

#5 ·
^ I bought my replacements direct from Jeep but I am wondering if I didn't get the correct ones. I noticed my Jeep was getting more bounce/ float off of speed bumps and overall not handling as good. I replaced all the shocks and nothing has changed. I am now thinking it may be the springs? I have 100k on my '07 and replaced the shock's @ around 95k. I think I will climb under and check the part #'s of the new shocks to make sure.

#6 ·
The replacements I installed made a noticeable "negative" difference in performance.
Jeep feels like its floating at high speeds when breaking, balance seems to be out of whack...Did not have any of this feeling with the Stock shocks before the replacements, even when the stockers started going bad...

Are the stock SRT shocks "not" purchased from the dealer different from the Bilstein replacements available through performance shops

#7 ·
I am not sure on the stock shocks "not" purchased from the dealer since I bought from them. I agree with your feelings and to add I just don't have the same confidence in the handling that I had with the stockers...I purchased direct from the dealer but it would not be the 1st time they came up with non-SRT parts when ordered. Maybe the shocks I received are not correct. I will check tomorrow and reply back..Below are what I think are the stock part #'s.

5175 959AC Shock Front
5290 641AC Shock Rear

#8 · (Edited)
I am not sure on the stock shocks "not" purchased from the dealer since I bought from them. I agree with your feelings and to add I just don't have the same confidence in the handling that I had with the stockers...I purchased direct from the dealer but it would not be the 1st time they came up with non-SRT parts when ordered. Maybe the shocks I received are not correct. I will check tomorrow and reply back..Below are what I think are the stock part #'s.

5175 959AC Shock Front
5290 641AC Shock Rear

^^^ Those are correct. The stock shocks are only available through the dealer. Bilstein does not even list a replacement shock for us on their website. They do offer shocks for the standard WK1, which may explain the negative performance you guys are seeing with these shocks.

There is a dealer here in MA that has the OEM front shocks on sale for $400 a pair. This forum blocks out the website though, so I cant post a link. Quirk Jeep is the dealer, and their website sounds like Yust for Yeeps. :rofl:

#18 ·
I threw a set of munroes on mine this summer after both my fronts blew at less then 120,000 km, pretty crap milage for an oem part. I got both for $150, didn't want to spend more because I would like to go coil overs next year. Ride feels the same as before mine were blown. I was curious at first as i read all the same coments on only oem will work. The fronts were identical in stroke and size as the bilstiens, but the Monroe's have a bigger shaft wich is usually better.
The rears I got were 2" longer stroke, and when I pulled the stock off the jeep they were still good, so put them back on.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#20 ·
Just found the receipt, Monroe sensatrac strut #71377.
I have never driven on brand new Bilsteins but the Monroe's feel fine to me. You could maybe tell the difference if your drive hard all the time or take it to the track often. But for the driving that mine does (its pretty much my wifes dd) they feel good, especially for the $150 I paid for the pair. Better then blown and leaking Bilsteins. I had read all the complaints on stock so I figured I'd give these a shot for the price, no complaints here.
I want to go coil overs or something else if someone releases something soon but that wasn't an option at the time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#21 ·
I noticed my driver side shock is weeping so was looking around. I know the bilsteins are available but are $$, and I found these Sensen shocks that have a lifetime warranty.Has anyone ever tried these out? It cross references KYB , Monroe and Gabriel part numbers but nothing on bilstein.If these will work and not compromise the handling they are a little cheaper and I like the lifetime warranty option.It does list this part for the SRT8.

Item specifics
Condition: New Part Brand: SENSEN
Placement on Vehicle: Front Surface Finish: Powder Coat
Pieces: 1 Warranty: Yes
KYB Cross Reference Number: 341603 Part Type: Strut
Monroe Cross Reference Number: 71377 Manufacturer Part Number: 3214-0117
Gabriel Cross Reference Number: G56807

#22 ·
I noticed my driver side shock is weeping so was looking around. I know the bilsteins are available but are $$, and I found these Sensen shocks that have a lifetime warranty.Has anyone ever tried these out? It cross references KYB , Monroe and Gabriel part numbers but nothing on bilstein.If these will work and not compromise the handling they are a little cheaper and I like the lifetime warranty option.It does list this part for the SRT8.

Item specifics
Condition: New Part Brand: SENSEN
Placement on Vehicle: Front Surface Finish: Powder Coat
Pieces: 1 Warranty: Yes
KYB Cross Reference Number: 341603 Part Type: Strut
Monroe Cross Reference Number: 71377 Manufacturer Part Number: 3214-0117
Gabriel Cross Reference Number: G56807

Those cross referenced part #'s are all for standard Grand Cherokees, and will not fit the SRT8. You can get a pair of factory front Bilsteins for $400 from a discount Mopar Parts dealer online.

#24 ·
My drivers side started to leak @ 95,000 km. Dealer replaced it under warranty & it rides as it should.

#29 ·
WOW what year is your truck? You sure have a lot of mileage on it.

I'm just about to turn 40,000 km and it's an 08

#31 ·
I finally had time to check the part #'s and the fronts look to be incorrect. Front 05290632AC. I wonder what shock this is actually for? So looks like I will be ordering another set of fronts and may as well do springs all around since I'm over 100k. Anyone have the part #'s for OEM springs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.