Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2012 idle rpm?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hammmerhead 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 2012 srt8 and it seems to idle low. Without the AC running it sometimes is idling right around 500rpm. I started noticing it more as shakes a little at idle. I asked SRT if there is some sort of fuel saving idle.. but they even had a hard time tell me what the idle should be. With the AC on it is around 650rpm. My last dealer overfilled the oil by what seems a quart so I had it changed right away. Anything else that could cause this or is idle normal? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Its normal for the '12 and could be for the newer years as well, but I can comment on those. I can say from experience the Diablo tuner would not lock this out for me. With the AC compressor not running, the engine will drop to 500 rpms while in gear as long as the engine is warm. It may do it in park as well, but I cant remember. It must be a smog nanny or an Mileage improving nanny.

I might add as loose as they are building these engines, the 500 rpm idle drops oil pressure even further and certainly doesn't add any "gifts" to the problematic lifters that these engines are having problems with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.