Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Kill Of The Day

447K views 3K replies 408 participants last post by  WiscoG8 
#1 ·
I thought it would be a great idea to have a sticky thread on our Kill of the day. A thread that would be updated daily with battle stories (the victories and failures of course) from around the globe.

I know I would check it daily if started.

Please add as many details as possible to set the mood and add videos if available.

Here is my favourite kill so far after 1 week with my new, still stock, Jeep SRT8.

I am driving in down on a road that I like to call drag alley because it is lined up with signal lights that are all synchronized to have you stop at each one unless you drive at 30 miles per hour. I live in Abu Dhabi, where your daily drivers are of the likes of Porsche 911 Turbo, all Mercedes AMG’s and BMW M Series, Audi R8 and S Series, Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos, GTR’s and yes, even Bugatti Veyron. Those cars are not rare here, you see many of them every day (especially on drag alley :D), expect for the Bugatti that you may see every week.

The classic story line on drag alley is that you nag the driver beside you at the first light to race and by the second light, he is usually on it and for the next 3 lights.

My most memorable race to date was with a very nicely done (Body kit) 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Here, this car cost almost 2.5 times the price I paid for mine :D. I cannot get the guy (an Emirati) to do anything at the first light but after some nagging, he is ready at the next one. Off the start (traction control off, AC off (108F :cool:), and autostick in 1st gear), the SRT 8, jumps faster and did have at least 2 car body length when it reached 60MPH. This scenario basically repeated itself for the next 3 signal light. What a feeling, I could not believe it laughing all the way to my next meeting.

Here it is folks, I have raced so far a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, a G55AMG an ML63 AMG, a BMW 650i, a Lexus LS460, a Range Rover Supercharged but the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S was my highlight to date.

Cheers

JF

See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: BeefSRT
#2,286 · (Edited)
It doesn't fully lock, you need to tamper with some fuses for that.

It was a nice chilly night, so it had some nice dense cool air to swallow. Warmed my tires up alittle, barked them at a few lights before and took the last 2 turns decently hard after a 30 min drive home from work.

If it works for you, stick to it.

#2,287 ·
Negative sir, encoder motor is engaged by default when Esp is turned off. The advance trac system is a reactive system but allows the user to engage the tcase under low traction conditions with the use of the Esp button.

#2,289 ·
Well you'll need to disprove the many of others who have stated what I did.

Here's proof you don't lock all 4 wheels from dealerconnect for you...

"Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESP OFF” switch. When in “Partial Off” mode, the TCS portion of ESP, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESP function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than ESP would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESP on again, momentarily press the “ESP OFF” switch. This will restore the normal “ESP On” mode of operation. "

"Traction Control System (TCS)

This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s) and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS system functions similar to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESP are in either the “Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes. Refer to “Electronic Stability Program (ESP)” in this section for more information. "

Here's more ESP reading for you:
"ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

NOTE: The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) may also be referred to as Electronic Stability Program (ESP) depending on the vehicle model year and configuration. Certain components may also reference ESP, ESC, or use the traction control symbol.
To determine whether the car is responding properly to cornering commands, ESC uses steering wheel angle, yaw (turning) rate and lateral acceleration sensors (combined into Dynamics Sensor). Using signals from these sensors, in addition to individual wheel speed sensor signals, the system determines appropriate brake and throttle actions. Once initiated, ESC operates much like All-Speed Traction Control, except that the goal is directional stability. If the vehicle yaw response, or rate of turning, is inconsistent with the steering angle and vehicle speed indications, the ESC system applies the brakes and, if necessary closes the throttle, to restore control. This occurs whether the vehicle is turning too rapidly (oversteering) or not rapidly enough (understeering)."

So once again, hitting the ESP button DOES NOT LOCK all 4 tires.

#2,291 ·
Killed my 1st wk1 at st-eustache street drag last night, he was stock, got him by a few car lenght.

Damn those 5.0 are slow... also raced a charger with all visual mod and mopar decal, it didnt made him go faster lol

Raced a diesel coal roaler with twin turbo, he got me by a foot lenght

#2,293 · (Edited)
Went at the track again last night, damn I'm getting addicted. My rig is getting really dialed in now, been fine tuning it for a month but its mostly tuned on the 0~60 as I do all my logging on public road.

Got some video this time, killed my 2nd wk1, stock too, same result as the wk1 from the night before:

Several other race that were too insignifiant to upload on youtube lol, except for this one...

So this guy pull next to me with a Lancer EVO, I ask him if he's stock, he say no, I say hell yeah lets race (I just turned off several civic before him, "me: you stock man? civic: I have a vtech, me: GTFO man...")

So talking to this guy with the Lancer, then he start enumerating my mods
- Mopar CAI
- Borla S straight pipe
- Stage1 cam
- diablo chip

So I ask him wtf??? turn out it used to be his jeep, he was really happy to see it running in good shape. His Lancer was really well modded too. We did several race together, he beat me once because I launched in Drive... Small world, I bought that jeep on the other side of the province, what re the odds lol.

4u2nvinmtl, I should be quite close to you now, my 1/8 time is now the same as yours :D

Reactions: 4u2nvinmtl
#2,302 ·
#2,294 ·
GTFO it was his Jeep, that's crazy :rofl:. So what CAM did he put cuz I didn't really hear much lope at idle when we ran?

#2,296 · (Edited)
the HHP stage1 cam, he was about to go FI when he sold it cuz he needed a pickup for work and a "cheaper on gaz car" for the DD...

Last time we raced my motor was dirty as ****, wrong air filter, dealer tuned, the sound is really different now. Come see for yourself tonight, can't wait to see if I'm as quick as yours now, last time we meet my rig was just as slow as stock.

Want to FI next... If I just can find a way for my wife not to notice the bank account going down...

#2,295 ·
I'm also curious how you got to 500 hp with a cam, CAI and a Borla cat back. I'm assuming your Diablo "chip" means you have a custom tune or are you just running the 91 or 93 octane tune? Three of those four mods are generally considered pretty stockish. The cam's definitely a solid mod, what kind of times are you running in Quebec and what kind of DA do you get out there?

#2,297 · (Edited)
Whats DA?

Custom tuned by myself, I'm an engineer, I can figure stuff easily, plus I'm the 2014 north american drone racer champ, I know how PID works, these thing need to be daily tuned lol

Been loging it every day and I've ajusted the fuel trim banks and ajusted the timing, but i've only tuned the 0~60, got to log a few run on a 1/4 track now to unlock the full power, but I do log 500hp now, I used to log 350hp before all the engine cleaning, and fine tuning. Previous owner confirmed he was getting 500hp with a johan tune, but when I got it at the dealer for a full service they cleared the tune and didnt had a backup.

My 1/8 time is 8s, used to be 9ish
Dont know my new 1/4 time, it used to be 13.3 before the tune, i'm for sure down in the 12ish now

Reactions: 4u2nvinmtl
#2,303 · (Edited)
I just want to point out that i'm totaly new to this, i'm a fast learner but I might be mistaking, if something I say dont make sense please point it out so I can learn.

The log doesnt show the torque, but I'm using a torque calculator.

I just checked and I get 358whp, mind you thats not factoring the weight of the tool box, baby stroler and subwoofer that i was carying...

I'm likely going to get a tune from Johan soon, just wanted to experiment with it myself first. Need to find a dyno too, the only one I've found is a gaz tank away...

#2,306 ·
LOL MAD that’s not how they do Density Altitude. It's the equivalent altitude with the given environmental’ (humidity, temperature and track altitude to get the DA).

This is how I calculate mine:
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Let’s make things interesting and bet! I say, whoever loses buys the 12 pack of beer and is the designated roller for the night ;)

You defiantly deserve a rematch!

PETER are you coming? :D

Reactions: MattSRT and mad
#2,308 · (Edited)
Ah okay 358 wheel sounds way more normal that's Prob closer to 450 flywheel but it's good.
Here DA is a huge factor for drag racing. For example here in Alberta our DA is typically 3000-4000 in the spring/summer which is horrible. My blown '08 runs high 11's at usually 114-115mph or so and I figure I only make 500-550 wheel HP tops. Guys with similar mods at sea level run mid 11's.

Places like Colorado are more like 6000-8000 DA which is straight up ridiculously bad.

Welcome aboard, sounds like you know quite a bit which is good.

Take advice from the veterans around here for sure too as they have been doing it for ages, like Harrison for example.

Reactions: TheBRICK and mad
#2,311 ·
I broke my 60 foot and 1/8th mile records last night against MAD! The DA was -1170.

New record 60 foot time: 1.647sec
New record 1/8th mile time: 7.876sec

MAD is a really cool guy, I definitely see FI in his future ;D

P.S. Thanks for the Beer MAD, LOL

Reactions: mad and Jfra
#2,312 ·
I was out doing my errands and I came across a new wk2 srt. I was breaking my neck to get next to him at a light. Lucky for me it happened and he was like lets race on green. Of course like an idiot I said sure! Light goes green and my ProCharger gave this guy the salsa. When he caught up he was asking why is it so fast I told him and now he wants a ProCharger! Good times.

Reactions: Jfra
#2,313 ·
exterminated bumble bee

My Jeep is all Black with badges removed, Smoked a guy in a bumble bee yellow Z28 few days ago from a red light heading onto an overpass. I got him by at least two car lengths by the time I hit 3rd gear, we maintained that distance until we got to the next light. Since it was red, I stopped and after he caught up, he rolled down his window and said "what the hell is in that thing?" I said "its just a regular 6 cylinder jeep, why?" the guy shook his head and drove off mad.

This post has been deleted
#2,315 ·
I think it's known troll poking his little head back out...

This post has been deleted
#2,319 ·
omg that jeep wasted that thing in the qtr mile...so does the race go long enough for the little car to pass the jeep then the race is over? i dont get it? should go to the track so there is a predetermined finish line imo. i mean shit, after 7 miles i run out of gas and the civic passes me i lose??

#2,316 ·
Ha a 350z "HR" again. What a bag of rice. I did actually race a pretty cool guy with one. It was all aftermarket and deep dish rear wheels for some wide tires and carbon fiber hood. He had his girl with him, heck maybe it was her car. After trashing him in every venue of his choosing, from a dig, from a 35 roll, from 70 roll, from 80 roll, he decided he had enough to eat from the bakery. He did have enough good sport in him to stop after our last race and say "man, I ain't got nothing for ya, what's in that!?" And obliged him for one last showing of what the beast can do. Once he caught up again, he slowed once he got even with me and turned on his dome light and gave me the thumbs up. I have to say though, that car was "High Revving" as I could hear him cooking rice each time we raced!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2,317 ·
18 secs of racing in that video, so I guess half mile street racing is the new thing...

Reactions: MattSRT
#2,318 ·
Kid was maybe 19-20....So they were parked like 10 feet away from where i was and after we came back and parked I hear the kid say wtf just happened lol lol

#2,321 ·
Kid was maybe 19-20....So they were parked like 10 feet away from where i was and after we came back and parked I hear the kid say wtf just happened lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4IBnJ2Re6g
I'll tell you wtf happend. The jeep won buy multiple bus lengths! Lol. I did the same thing to some guy with a shiny new 392 charger at the track. He was trying to figure out how he lost to the big black elephant (BBE)!

Reactions: CurbRash
#2,322 ·
yes sir...ran low 11.1's all 5 runs but i put a degree of timing in and ran my fastest mph at 120.83 so i had a good day. it was kind of weird feeling going after work but i kind of enjoyed it. we should do this a few times

Reactions: mondo
#2,325 ·
i think was like 12.8 or 12.9...high 12's

#2,328 ·
It seriously took the whole video for him to pass the Jeep. He must of said get the F back here like 15 times before he slowly passed the jeep. Thats like getting the ricer flyby after they lose.

#2,329 ·
Where you going? Get the **** back here! Where you going?
(Passes quarter mile and race LONG over)
Get the **** back here!
Where you going?
That's right....smoked that SRT Jeep!

GTFOH lol what an idiot.

#2,330 ·
MAD very humbly post edited and uploaded my win against him.

The whole crowd was rooting for MAD's super loud Jeep (even I was), LOL.

Reactions: mad
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.