Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Just built and installed my 426... now I have traction problems...... lets talk

7K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  MadTunes Racing 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just completed a 426 build for my jeep. It's a mild setup on the spec sheet but is causing some significant traction issues on the street. It spins all four from a low speed roll and completely fries them from a dig. It seems to do better leaving the traction control on which is the opposite of what I used to do with the little boy cam only setup. When the jeep spins the tires in first it usually short shifts into second and may even throw the p700 code if you leave the traction control off. It has been pretty cool lately and I know it will hook better when the weather is good but I wanted some input from others. This is the first time I've "confused" the tcm by spinning the wheels. I'm sure it would do much better with some drag radials on the rear but I really just wanted to hear what other jeeps with massive torque are doing for traction and how the tcm and transmissions are working with this hp level keeping the drivetrain mostly stock.

On a side note, I'm also debating on either installing blue top solenoids or getting the mopar tcm first. I want to keep the car "stock like" when easing around in it and am a bit worried about excessively harse downshifts with the blue tops.

#43 ·
Took it to the track last night

Had some traction problems. It was pretty cold so I think it can get a lot better.

Best 60' of the night was 1.66 but most were in the 1.8 to 2.0 range

Best ET was a 12.17 @ 109.75

Best Trap speed was 114.19 mph

The traction issues were causing me shifting problems which prompted us to hand shift it. That made the jeep run inconsistent mph.

It hit 114.19 mph being hot lapped.

There is no doubt that this setup is a solid high 11 second jeep once we sort out the traction and transmission.

Reactions: Jack_Toepfer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.