Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Audio question (MP3 line-out cable)

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  djjasond 
#1 ·
hey guys, new to the forum here. i just reciently purchesed my 07 SRT8 and im loving it! hopefully someone can help me out here, im a puzzled!

the previous owner kept the factory head unit intact, however all speakers were replaced with JL Audio with a amp in the back. Theres a Monster mp3cable (like the one here ) inside the center console storage area. but i cant find out how to switch the audio to the mp3 players. theres nothing under AM/FM and under Mode, only CD or Sirius is available.

any ideas? think i need to pull the head unit out to see if its connected?

#2 ·
He might have had an aftermarket headunit in there or he used a converter to get the cable. Try putting the radio in the CD mode and see if it works.

#3 ·
Assuming that you have the REC navigation radio, he probably used the add an input harness from Pac or Peripheral. Both of these either emulate the VES (Vehicle Entertainment System) or satellite radio. It is set to VES by default. Try hitting the mode button. It should cycle thru CD, Satellite, & VES. Should work on one of those.

If not, next step would be to pull the radio and see what's back there. Take a picture of the adaptor and we could help. If he used a jl audio cleansweep or other external switching unit, there may be a button you need to press.

Let us know how it goes.

#4 ·
I forgot all about that. I had the same setup in my Charger before I ripped everything out.

#5 ·
It is tie standard REC nav unit. It dosent work under CD or Sat mode and I do not have an option for VES. I'm gonna try and trace the cable out and pop out the head unit. Are there any good instructions online? Just incase of any surprises back there.

#6 ·
Pull the bezel off and there should be 4 screws holding it in. The only thing I found is that the antenna lead doesnt have much slack to pull the unit out very far. You still ma have the PAC or peripheral unit. Mine used to disappear sometimes and I had to reset it. Good Luck.

#7 ·
Before you pull the deck, plug in your ipod, have the volume turned up, and it playing. Start at the lowest FM station (88.1 I think?) then scroll thru the frequencies one at a time (88.3, 88.5, 88.7, etc) on your radio. Since you added the monster reference, I'm thinking this is an fm modulator.

These can be wired or wireless. In the case of wired, there would be an adaptor between your factory antenna and the factory radio. In the case of wireless, there would not be an adaptor connected to the factory radio. In either case, these work by tuning the factory radio to a specifc FM frequency (station) which is specified on the fm modulator. The fm modulator takes over that frequency and broadcasts your ipod. These are unfortunately prone to static.

Here's some instructions to remove your REC radio if you still want to do that... http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.