Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2008 Headunit experts in here

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Kausekaos 
#1 ·
Well now I am looking into an 08 instead of 07.

I have my Pioneer Avic D3 sitting in my room from my Lightning.

Is there anything the Avic D3 would provide over the 08 headunit in the jeep that is loaded?

Im looking to play MP3 data discs, possibly upload some music videos. Does it play while driving?

And what IS mygig? sounds interesting

Thanks all

-Sean

#3 ·
I would leave the Mygig unit in for sure. Make sure its the RER MyGig as the REN unit does not have navigation. The Mygig is a VERY nice unit and I would personally prefer that over a Avic (any avic for that matter). Also, if you get a SRT equipped with Uconnect and voice activation you will lose that feature by removing the Mygig. Those are two great features so I do not recommend removing the Mygig. With the Pioneer you will also lose the use of steering wheel controls (which do a lot on the factory unit).
So to sum it up I would keep it stock. Looks better IMO to as all the Pioneers use tacky blue lighting.
Stock the Mygig's will not play DVD's while driving however they will parked with the e-brake engaged. There is a module you can buy to remove all the locks on the factory unit. Its called Lock pick or something like that. Im not bothering getting one though.

#7 ·
Great info thanks.

i also forgot to mention a BIG part of my decision. I WILL be installing a nice sound system in the jeep. I have all my JL speakers, amps, wiring left from my Lightning.

So as long as the 08 mygig can handle the outputs and not struggle with the system. I will sell the D3

#9 ·
How do you load all your iPod songs onto the myGIG? My understanding is that the iPod files are .aac or something like that so you can't just transfer them. They have to be .mp3 and the like. This is why I don't know if I want the myGIG since it appears it's going to be a REAL pain in the ass to get my iPod library onto it.

BTW, I currently have an AVIC d3 and I love it. For the price, it is a great Navi unit.

#12 ·
don't know the specs on the D3, but i have installed the AVIC Z2 and wouldn't have it any other way...(other than trading my unit in for a newer one since mine was a gen1 that tends to freeze up at times pending on external temperatures). not sure if the MyGig has a touchscreen or even if it has a larger screen than the NAV/REC unit, but all the things that make the MyGig so great can be found/had on the Pioneer units and then some. but honestly if you are looking for the simplest thing, MyGig will work. On the other hand if you don't mind picking up a few additional items/add-ons (Bluetooth, Sirius/XM box, ipod adapter, CAN connectors for the steering wheel function etc) for your D3 then this would be the way to go. IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.