Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Torque Converter / Transmission issue

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sk8n 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would post my recent experience in case someone else has a similar issue.

When going up steeper inclines at a steady speed of say 75-80, I would experience power surging. My speed would drop to about 55-60, even with the accelerator to the floor, then the rpms surge, followed by a drop in rpms, surge, etc.. The event would last about 5-15 seconds and then everything would run normally. It first happened about 3-4 months ago and no codes were thrown. Of course I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue and there were no codes; therefore nothing they could do. This did not occur again or a few weeks, eventually it occurred again and once again no codes. Recently it has become more prevalent and it happened again Friday. I immediately drove to the dealer and they hooked up a reader and a tech took a ride with me. Luckily it occurred again and the tech noted the issue was with the torque converter.

I dropped it off yesterday and they called and said there was defnitely internal damage to the torque converter and transmission.

Luckily I purchased an extended warranty and all I will pay is the $50 deductible. Also luckily, this occurred prior to the warranty expiring in May or before I exceeded the mileage. This occurred with 57,000 miles on the vehicle btw.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.