Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Anyone with 4300K HID's?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  BBLV 
#1 · (Edited)
I am about to purchase Xenons for my truck and have pretty much decided to just go with the best and buy the real Phillips HID's and ballasts. I have noticed though in my research that all of the OEM BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes all use 4300K lights from the factory. I am sure this is what was on my Audi and I really liked the look.

I am planning to go with the 4300K Phillips kit but first would like to understand why everyone on here seems to have gone with 6000K. Is there anything I am missing here? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
________
Anime video

#2 ·
kramsay1234 said:
I am about to purchase Xenons for my truck and have pretty much decided to just go with the best and buy the real Phillips HID's and ballasts. I have noticed though in my research that all of the OEM BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes all use 4300K lights from the factory. I am sure this is what was on my Audi and I really liked the look.

I am planning to go with the 4300K Phillips kit but first would like to understand why everyone on here seems to have gone with 6000K. Is there anything I am missing here? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
4300k hids on oem cars are always on projectors, which give them a blueish purple outline. Since we install hids on mostly reflector type headlights 6000k is usually more preferred since the color leans towards more blue- basically to make up for not having a projector. I installed oem phillips 4300k before on projectors and they give out alot more light. Although the 6k is nicer looking.

#3 · (Edited)
Razorecko said:
4300k hids on oem cars are always on projectors, which give them a blueish purple outline. Since we install hids on mostly reflector type headlights 6000k is usually more preferred since the color leans towards more blue- basically to make up for not having a projector. I installed oem phillips 4300k before on projectors and they give out alot more light. Although the 6k is nicer looking.
Is that to mean that a 6000K bulb in a non-projector application will appear the same as a 4300K with a projector? I am basically trying to get the same color and look as the OEM Germans with projectors, although I know I won't have that round projector light pattern. I don't want them to look fake because they are more blue than a factory setup.
________
SILVER SURFER VAPORIZER PRICES

#4 ·
5000-6000k will suit you just fine. And I am running 3 kits all from
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=230076019863&rd=1,1

The guy is top notch. Responded to my calls when i had an issue with a bulb and next day aired new ones. The look of these kits are slightly brighter then the BMW and Other OEM HID's. And the vision differance is 5x better. That was my first purchase for my Honda FIT and My JEEP.

I now Have 6000k Low and 3000k Fogs.

#6 ·
it will take you an 1 1/2 for mount of the ballast, wiring up the relay and putting in the bulbs.

The relay is to bring the voltage up to 12v.
The link i had in the post before this one will get you to a guy out of cali the kits are very nice and of good quality. For me the install was very easy and i can walk you through the relay wire up.

I paid 130 or so shipped.

#7 ·
JDR07 said:
can someone tell me, a total noob, what exactly it would take to do a clean HID conversion? been considering this mod since i bought the car but i have no idea how much money or time i would have to put into it. good websites/vendors?
Well basically any hid kit that uses philips ballast and bulbs is top notch - also for the gc you'll need a relay harness, because a direct plug and play wont work since it'll flicker like crazy. Otherwise its pretty straight forward-i've done about 10 hid installs and the only thing that might be a pain sometimes is finding a good place to mount the ballast.

#8 · (Edited)
The Phillips kit I looked at was complete with relays already wired into the harness. Besides mounting the ballasts, which with the Phillips is even easier because they are so thin, the installer that was going to do mine wanted $50 and said it would take a half hour. Once I looked at the kit, it was positve and negative wire and the bulbs go right in the lense casing like the factory bulbs, so the install is a no-brainer.

BUT - I really need to clarify this whole 4300K question. Who out there has them?
________
Yamaha Yzf-R125 History

#12 ·
So I have to ask this. Are all of these HID's you guys considering
brighter than the stock lights?
Will these cause everyone to blink there brights even when
in normal not hi beam?

Which one is brighter than stock, just plugs in easily and is
blue?
I know mr 20 questions.
Thanks,
Craig

#14 ·
Ok, I'm game. Which setup should I get?
I would want a simple install as I'm not
the best with mechanicals, but did install
my DUB CAI.
I am looking for better headlight performance
without setting off any codes or causing
difficulty with cars approaching. Where to
buy at a reasonable price et.

You guys are great.
Craig

#16 · (Edited)
alright Mike - finally someone with 4300's....Other people I have been researching with say similar. After about 100 hours use they will take on a blue hue and also give off brighter light. I am only looking for a slight blue tone. I have also since learned that the factory installed 4300K's in the '02 Acura and '03 Maxima using reflectors and not projectors, but I can't specifically remember seeing one of these.

My research continues as I think I have found someone in Toronto area who is a "HID guru" and does custom retro-fits to projectors. Going to meet him next week so see if I want to take that route.
________
Old Man Video

#19 · (Edited)
no offense inferno but you should read this to know what you're doing by going with 12000k xenons. If you're building a show car that you won't drive at night, ignore this as it doesn't apply to your application.

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.​
So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).​
Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.​
So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?
Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.​
Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst. (http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html)
________
Cams live

#20 · (Edited)
idealrides said:
no offense inferno but you should read this to know what you're doing by going with 12000k xenons. If you're building a show car that you won't drive at night, ignore this as it doesn't apply to your application.
I know about the 12000K issues, thats why my fogs are 4300K and my highbeams will remain SilverStars.

When I drive my lowbeams are always on with my fogs.

My preference is 12000K, dont like em look the other way;) There are enough ricers out there with BS hid kits to blind you if you were on the moon. My weekend toy wont make a difference on the way the world spins on its axis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.