Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Diesel Competition

8K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  lilsmokey 
#1 ·
So Guys,
I have never been big into the diesel market in any way shape or form. So I wanted to ask the question of is there any competition out there as far as diesel trucks that could challenge our Jeeps? I have heard of super tuners that supposedly give Major HP and TRQ bumps and so and so forth. Cant honestly be sold on something like that IMHO. Just looking for general knowledge or kill tales so on and so forth. By the time I get home I wont be worried about anything spouting black smoke through a stack, but I still thought it would make a good convo.

#2 ·
I had a 2005 CTD with upgraded turbo, injectors, programmer, exhuast and it made 550hp 900tq. Never had it down a track but when the turbo kicked in that b!tch hauled. Diesels will make SERIOUS power.

#7 ·
stock truck, there are none. but remeber with a simple programmer, they can get 150-200 HP from it. my brother in law has a 07 f250 with bullydog programmer. its OTF tuning. he can go from regular to max HP, max tq, in the flip of a switch. and it hauls ass. he'd give me a run for my money. he has told me about some tune called a crazy larry tune, (i think) that is absolutely ridiculous. but risk blowing the motor so he never put it in.

#9 ·
Yeah that is what I have heard is that there are some tunes out there that are an insane booster. But from a Dig I cant see them taking it, although I do understand they can brake boost off the line I still don't think they will match the launch. The highway I think could be a different story though. Just thinking out loud

#8 ·
Yeah I have seen some great videos of these trucks but never a comparison of price and time invested to get them where they are. I figured it would be a good chunk of change to get it rolling that fast *safely*. But good times none the less

#11 ·
1 obvious advantage is a fuel that doesn't require additional octane to add timing or boost. The other is a very robust forged motor made for boost and tons of it. Oh, and they come from the factory with turbos already. So you're way ahead of the game there.

To be a top dog your going to spend a ton of cash, but you can run 11s in a 7.3 dinosaur with a way less than $10k into it. You can have a lot of fun in a diesel truck for $3k and beat most of what's out there. The transmissions are better now but not bulletproof, but everything else is usually up to the task.

They respond very well to nitrous, propane, methanol, water and just about anything else you can cram down the intake.

#12 ·
Stock diesel trucks are nothing to worry about, 16 and 17 second E/T quarter mile. However they can be made VERY fast much more easily than a gas rig. The one ton trucks come with gigantic axles, low gears, very heavy duty transfer cases, and decent transmissions that will gobble down 1000ftlb of torque with no issues and put every bit of it to the ground. Do with modest upgrades to the torque converter there isn't much reasonable limit to what the powertrains can handle.

So it comes down to the engine. Diesels work on detonation, so there is no amount of boat that will ever run you out of octane, more boost is more power as far as the turbo can go. Diesels have very long strokes and piston rings that will outlast the rest of the truck 10x over. The weaknesses of diesels start with the head gaskets, which usually require studs and o rings to make huge power, after this they need more turbo and fuel system to support the massive smoke blowing power outputs. At this point you're about 5-10k in engine mods and running 12s or better at the touch of a button, so WATCH OUT. It takes a pretty big jump from there to go much faster, 20-50k in mods on big turbo, big fuel, and custom tranny will net you 10s or better.

#13 ·
And if your curious, my dually has entry level mods, tuner, exhaust and CAI. I'm about $2g in mods and over 1000ftlb at the back wheels, I run 14s on the "evic" in an 8200lb mega cab.

#14 ·
My Chevy duramax runs lows 12's. Tons of mods but transmission upgrade is a must to make diesel power. Ive seen guys get a programer and use max power but then fry their trannys. Definitely torque monsters. Also for launch i do 4wd boost launch. I can take mostly anything off the line unless im lined up against a twin or turbo Jeep...lol

#15 ·
As mentioned, yes they can make huge power.

On the newer diesels once you remove all the emissions BS and do a full exhaust, an intake, etc there are tunes that will give you 200-300+hp boosts.

Hell, I have a 7.3L dinosaur and my chip will put me up to 140hp increase in the high setting.

#18 ·
digging on an older thread but a guy at my college says hes got a 800 hp cummins that will beat my jeep. What quarter mile times do you think they are looking at at that power if hes not BS'n me and cost?

#20 ·
Hate to be the barer of bad news but if he does have 800hp he will in fact smoke your ass. On top of 800hp, he's making probably 1500-1700rwtq too. I used to be into diesels before I bought my Jeep. They can be flat out nasty and sleepy.

Reactions: crosshair
#21 ·
^^^ gonna have to agree with Harry on this one... I had a duramax before my jeep and its hard to tell a 13 second diesel from a 11 second one...

They sure are fun though!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#28 ·
iv got a buddy with 40k+ under the hood of his race dmax that puts down over 1000hp and more torque then you could imagine. their expensive to get to that level but plain nasty when you get there. also he has problems out the ass with his. like stated before, you can't do much before you tranny starts to slip so if he has a tranny then you might be worried, if not he is bluffing.

#29 ·
Its just convenient its in the shop and he doesnt drive it in the winter lol i kept prying at him ask if he ran it at the track he said no. I asked if he dyno'd it and he said before he had work done was 600 + hp. Kinda makes me wanna find another to run against in the area tho jus for fun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#30 ·
Yeah sully if this guy is making 800hp and has a built trans your in for it. Is the diesel in question auto or manual? 4x4 or 2wd? Lifted or stock? Find out what turbo (size and brand name) he has with 800hp he should have twins. Any way you could get a sneak pic of the truck? What year is it?

#35 ·
Yeah he wasnt giving too much info up but single turbo. No trans work sounded like all motor

Really!! 800hp on a Dodge usaually means compound turbos. Even with the biggest turbo 800hp is hard to get. Then you'll need upgraded fuel system, larger injectors. And this is BIG money.
You say he has no trans work? Then no way can he put 800hp to the ground that trans will explode especially if he does boosted launches.
I csll BS on this guy.

#33 ·
Maybe Ralph will give us an SRT8 diesel. They can call it the "Sooter edition". Bring back the center exhaust and you can soot out anyone!

#36 ·
There is a 7.3l in my area making upwards of 1000wheel with compound turbos, water and nitrous. Runs 6s in the 1/8mi. I was king of the trucks at cruise night in the Jeep until I lined up with him. I'm familiar with the truck so I knew I was doomed. Oddly enough he stated right next to me the whole run and just barely beat me. Wasn't until the end of the race I saw all of the white smoke coming out of his stacks. Something went very wrong for him but he still won the race with half as much power as he usually makes. I helped him look for the problem and offered to help fix it, but I really wanted a closer look at what was under the hood. Real basic stuff. The ingredients are simple, some stuff costs more than others, but the recipe is the same. The more air you can cram in it the more fuel you can burn the more power you're going to make.

Some of these guys are running triple turbos for quick spooling, high boost ability and lower EGTs. EGTs are the main problem in these trucks followed by fuel delivery. The older trucks just aren't made to pump a gallon of fuel a second, lol.

#37 ·
Diesels are no joke! This is a guy I know and his truck is street driven......

Come to Alberta if you wanna see some fast diesels! I loved my jeep and the 440 but my cummins owns my heart + the fact my 440 couldn't keep up with 90% of the diesels running around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.