Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps

172K views 127 replies 74 participants last post by  Oberlanderperformance 
#1 · (Edited)
After several short term "limp modes' followed by famous 'circled" PRND on EVIC decided to check SLA module, also known as electronic shifter module (ESM), inside. Several people here claimed that after replacement of SLA module they got rid of the problem.

I started with some homework and found German (Mercedes) white papers about 722.6 gearbox. Documents stated that inside the module there are 12 Hall sensors to detect lever position. Hall sensors are known as pretty reliable ones cause they are contact-less sensors. Interestingly, I didn't found any claims on SLA module on several Benz sites.
However when I disassembled SLA module, I found that Chrysler put cheep mechanical contact system inside instead of just a bit more expensive but far more reliable Hall sensor system.
My guess is that it might be a main reason of SLA module failures. Most of them are reported at 30K-40K mileage, right after starting the car in cold mornings. Morning condensation along with a sufficient amount of conductive material accumulated between lamelles may cause position misreading.

The good thing is that it's possible to clean them using contact cleaner, which I did. By the way Chrysler says that it's non serviceable unit and wants more than 300 bucks for part only.

This is picture of PCB

These are lamelles before cleaning

After cleaning

Contacts are different - gold plated for gear position and nickel plated for autostick

I think that's one of a good examples, why Chrysler cars have worst reliability figures than Daimler ones.

See less See more
#98 ·
Did this yesterday, seems to have worked. I didnt expect the contacts to be so small but I did remove alot of grime during the cleaning. So far the CEL went off, no jumping into gear from park and the shifts seem much lighter.

Had this thread bookmarked for awhile but the issue wasnt a major problem until last week, it would do it once every 2 to 3 months but from last week its been almost everyday problem. And of course the deciding factor happened in the worst place, the freeway merge lane.

#99 ·
My 2007 Jeep SRT8 will not go over 30mph the dash displays Service 4WD, Transmission over temp, Performance service & Im assuming Park Assist is limp mode? I tried checking the diagnostic the code came back as lost communication. Should I start with the same fix?

#100 ·
This fix is great and it does work! Unfortunately for me it only worked for 2 months. Mine was filthy due to a previous owner spilling pop on it so this might be why mine didn't last. Replacing the entire shifter assembly per the stealership. Good thing for the warranty!

#101 ·
So this happened to me at probably the worst possible moment. Started accross an intersection of a major road here in town, and she just flat gave out in the middle of the road, at night. Two semi's barreling towards me, the dam thing won't budge, I don't even recall thinking as I threw it into park, turned it off and on floored the gas and dumped it into drive, as the semi's slide past horns blaring tires screeching and miss the back end by perhaps 20 feet after the Jeep lurched forward as the tranny slammed into gear. Well, to say the least I was quite the unhappy camper. :mad: Had had some wierd occurances in the past few weeks, very few and far in between with random "service park assist" messages and multiple dummy lights flashing on briefly then going off. Thought maybe it was just an electrical blip. Took it apart and it wasn't by any means visably dirty.

Cleaned it with Q-tip and BPC. Took it back out and put it through the paces, seems to be working so far, but the effectiveness of the fix remains to be seen through time.:cool:

#103 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried the Dorman ESM or know anything about their reputation...I am wondering if it is better quality than Oem, some aftermarket products are, and they say they have been in business since 1918

#104 · (Edited)
I have been putting off fixing my truck, Well after reading the previous post about his jeep dying in the intersection, i finnally cleaned my board off today. I drive tractor trailer and just envisioned the nightmare if mine died. Anyways the truck is much better now. The last few days with cold up here it was really starting to act up.

2006 with 77,000 on it. Truck has been stock its whole life, so i doubt the previous owner ever cleaned the board off. Of course i buy the truck and three weeks into owning it I get the common symptoms. Glad I have been lurking here for years. I knew exactly what was wrong.

#108 ·
I just replaced my ESM and sadly the gears all circled on me again... Now this only happens when I first key on the vehicle and have never had limp mode. Wonder if it's just not seeing the ESM on start up. All I have to do is key it off and back on and it goes away. Shifting is much better since replacement. I donated my old ESM to research (forum member) hopefully he'll have some insights.

#109 ·
Thank you thank you thank you

The OP of this thread is my hero. Had exactly the same issue and with google's help found this thread. The dealer wanted to replace the TCM which would not have helped and would have cost me $700.

This fix was pretty simple. Biggest problem was remembering how to put it back together. Hint, next time take pictures. I did see carbon deposits between the pads which I'm sure were causing the problem.

Love this forum and the people who are on it. Oh, and my SRT8.

#114 ·
Gents I think our problem with not having paddle shifts lies in this area... If someone could get me a wiring diagram for the shiftstick and where the plug for the circuit board is, icould definitely put something together...

#115 ·
we dont want to a bunch of codes taking up pages in a post again! some one tried this years ago & only recently got the raido buttons on the steering to actualy shift the jeep..forgot his handle..but its (Blown )sumthin..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free

#116 ·
Yeah that was an actual software thing I remember reading about it. This is a physical thing. Can't see why it wouldn't work it's not a digital signal it's a modulating signal.

#118 ·
Like many others, did a Google and was brought to this site and thread. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Been have issues for almost a year now. CEL, Sticking in gear at stop having to pull over to shut down and restart. It has gotten worse. Wife took the ride to O'reilly to check codes and came up with TCM issue.
I will give the cleaning a try and give my new Hero3 Black Addition a work out and put up a short "How To Video". The pictures were great but had to look at them a few times to really see what was being cleaned.

#119 ·
Pain in the Arse

Well I took my time with this as this is the wife's ride and was a pig sty.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
I removed the center console and found ashes and all kinds of other garbage and vacuumed the entire thing out.
Pretty simple to do.
Few things to note:
Shift knob removal is done by pushing the chrome ring down and pulling the knob up.
The rear of the console you will want to remove the metal bracket that attaches to the floor
You don't need to remove the console to get at the board
I drove around the block and the CEL did not come on and appears to be running great. Will give and update in a few weeks to see if this did the trick;)

#120 ·
Can anyone help with this! I have an '06 Jeep Commander that has been having the same issues that have been posted on this forum, CEL light comes on goes into limp mode. I followed the steps to clean the ESM and everything semed to work initially, but after shutting the vehicle off and then starting it again the CEL light was back on. It seems to shift into second hard then go into limp mode after. Does anyone have any ideas?

#122 ·
I want to thank a137 for this useful thread. My son has a 2006 SRT8, which was mine until I bought my current 2012 SRT8. At 75,000 miles the 2006 went into limp mode and wouldn't shift properly. My dealer in PA told me I needed a new shift module for $1000 or so, which indeed was Jeep's recommended fix. I then turned to this forum for advice, and found a137's thread, which I printed and took to my dealer. To my surprise, they agreed to clean the module, which took an hour at $99. It worked perfectly and the fix lasted until recently.

My son, who now owns the 2006, started to experience shifting problems at 108,000 miles, and took it to his Jeep dealer in MO, who correctly told him the only authorized fix is a new shift module, at $900 or so. I suggested he print the first two pages of this thread and go back to the dealer, and again to our surprise, they cleaned it in less than an hour. Since then, he has driven a thousand more miles without a problem.

This cleaning procedure is so effective, I'm wondering if Jeep is recommending it as an alternative "official" fix. Does anyone know?

Thanks again a137.

#123 ·
Just happened to mine. Should I disconnect the battery before pulling the module? Does it matter if I do or don't? I have an 06 Srt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.