Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

My RIPP supercharger experience.

33K views 85 replies 35 participants last post by  Jeep and GTO 
#1 ·
Monday of last week I took the Jeep to RIPP to have the supercharger installed. I picked it up this past Monday. Summary comment: Awesome!

Detail comments:

4.3 0–60 yesterday, in the heat. The best I have ever been able to get in the heat was 5.0.

Earlier this year, on a cool day and a slight downhill slope, the best was 4.5.

The odometer reads approximately 1,000 miles. I am told that when I pass the 2,500 mile mark the jeep will “wake up”. I will post when that happens.

The transmission shiftpoints have been changed. At first I didn’t like the upshifts (first time when I punched it at 70 mph it did not upshift [felt like it hit the rev limiter]; the next time it shifted smoothly). The first time I tried the 0-60 it went 4.6 (shift from 1st to 2nd was slow); subsequently, that shift was crisper (which is one reason it went 4.3).

It wasn’t until after the above experience that I read the Instruction Manual (I didn’t think that was a high priority, since I didn’t do the install). Lo and behold, page 2 discusses “…transmissions may not up shift at full throttle………….end users may….lift to shift…….. So even that was covered LOL.

Ross explained that the tune reset all of the PCU’s learning regarding my driving habits.

I will keep an eye on the shifting, and I will post an update after 2,500 miles.

I was very impressed with the quality and attention to detail that I saw and experienced. I am particularly impressed by Ross’s attention to detail, the time he is willing to spend explaining and answering questions, and his philosophy of providing added power in a conservative manner – always minimizing risk of harm to the motor.

For those who plan to do their own install, the manual is very well done, with detailed instructions which are accompanied by 144 color photos.

I am really happy with the Jeep!

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see another RIPP truck on here! I'll be stopping by their shop in a few days to get the truck on the dyno and get the oil changed on the blower, but so far so good with mine too! Good luck with the truck!

Reactions: Jeep and GTO
#4 ·
Nice mod and congrats man!! Sounds like fun!!! How much boost are you seeing and how does that trans feel on the shifts?

Reactions: Jeep and GTO
#9 ·
hey guys.. quick question. did you contact someone at RIPP or did you go to their website to order the kit? I am about 60 days away from ordering this kit and I want the best cost. I live in FL, so I need to have it shipped I guess here, and then upload their tune, but I want to know how I can get the transmisssion tuned.. from what i understood this is a separate system from the pcm..

#34 ·
There are those that just want a plug-and-play Brian. I'd be more intersted in seeing a stock vs supercharged dynograph contrasted with AFR on a 5th gear pull (8speed?) Maybe even throw manifold pressure on the graph too, just to see where its making its power, and a good idea of how the rig will back-half.

My guess is that its a 5-pound setup on a very conservative tune, which is what people who don't have an AFR gauge really need.

#15 ·
I did not know that a boost gauge would show air fuel ratios - I thought it was only pounds of boost. I also thought that I could check the AFR using the RIPP tuning device - but only if I noticed a problem, and was advised to do so.

From the time I ordered the kit until I picked up the Jeep, gauges never came up in any conversation with the folks at RIPP....so I surmise that if they didn't mention them, I may not need them.....but I also know that I have a lot to learn, so I will keep my eyes and ears open, and do more research. Thank you all for the comments.

#16 ·
talked to chris at ripp.. very nice group of guys and very helpful.. from my conversation, this is what he explained. there is no transmission per say tune, it all comes in the tune that uses the diablo platform to install it in our jeeps. These kits I think are fairly priced, yet I do think it should be closer to 5k than 7k...but if they are as reliable as everybody is saying then I will be a new customer soon.

#21 ·
Enjoy the jeep. Any vehicle with FI that didn't come that way from the factory should have an AFR gauge at minimum. It will be worth it's weight in gold to know if you have serious issues that you wouldn't necessarily notice from driving it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: cmn1 and roadboy
#25 ·
How many miles on your Jeep? I have just over 1,000, and I am told that it really wakes up just after 2,500 miles. I also think I am losing at least .2 or .3 of a second due to the sluggish shifting. I am waiting to see if this improves; if not I will ask Ross if that part of the tune can be removed.

#29 ·
ugh.. couple of whiskey's and cokes.. if ripp contacted me i would give the cc number tonight

#30 ·
Haha ive had thoughts like that too while drinking that i should just pull the trigger on something that i would have to seriously think about/research if sober. Even thoughts of buying random cars on ebay. Luckily i havent had any "incidents" yet.

#31 ·
Any one with this kit or any kit for that matter want to comment about how it effects the in cabin noise levels. I don't mind a little additional but do not want to ruin the quietness of the ride either. Thanks in advance!

#33 ·
well said ripp.

FYI on the gains in MPG. i averaged 17mpg from Dallas to Oklahoma City, and back, last week. I was impressed. it really was the best highway mileage i've had.

When we first got the jeep we took it around the country for 3 weeks and 6000 miles, never from all of that highway driving did i see 17mpg on average, on the dash.

#35 · (Edited)
oh cool look what I found on the website.

Whats more impressive to me isn't this supercharger, but instead the fact that they wedged that massive tubing in there, apparently without removing either the coolant or windshield reserveroir. Now just imagine instead of a Vortech head unit in there you had a 88mm turbo.... oh the possibilities.

Oh, and for the mods... i just found these picture posted on the internet, I have no affiliation with these fools from RIPP, nor would i purchase such a monstrosity.

Reactions: viking757
#37 ·
Oh, and for the mods... i just found these picture posted on the internet,

I have no affiliation with these fools from RIPP, nor would i purchase such a monstrosity.
And why exactly would you call RIPP "fools? Your calling the set-up a monstrosity is a personal opinion, but why the name-calling? You know something we don't?

Reactions: CLStech
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.