This has probably been discussed hundreds of times... - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 General Performance Discussion

WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,460 Times in 960 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
This has been discussed on here a few times and the conclusion is always the same. The hemi conversion on your Jeep will not make it an SRT8. There are a lot of other suspension, brake, wheel etc components the GC SRT8 has that allow it to handle the way it does etc. If you are purely looking to add a stroker to your jeep and no other supporting mods, well then it will be feasible to do just that. But if you are looking to clone an SRT8, it will be cheaper to purchase a used 06 SRT8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM

In no way am I trying to clone an srt8 jeep. Just want to make mine more custom to what I want. I don't want the body kit or the interior or badges or anything. Just want to lower mine(which also handles pretty good as is for what I want), manual trans, and a 5.7 Hemi. Maybe custom paint later but that's not a priority. None of it is really but it'd be something out of the ordinary, and that's what I'm about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 951 Posts
If you want to make your V6 WK1 scream and on a tight budget install a NOS kit and spray the shit out of it!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I would say don't bother. You will easily spend $10K+ on the engine and tranny alone. Then you will need all new headers, cats, exhaust, etc. That's just the basic items. You're talking about a $15K-$20K project easily. This isn't something that can be done little by little, and still drive it everyday either. There will be a ton of downtime, bugs, demons, gremlins, bad luck, etc. If your Jeep is 4x4, than manual transmission will pretty much be impossible if you want it to stay 4x4.....and may require extensive customization to do it at all. You need to find a manual transmission that can handle the power you need......... fit in the space you need........has the shifter where you need it........... find a way to mount it........find a bellhousing that will work.........find a flywheel and clutch that will work.........make a custom clutch pedel and linkage since there are no manual GCs.........have a custom driveshaft made.......should I continue? There is so much more to this than ordering parts from a website, and bolting them in. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to spend over $30K to complete this.

You can get a used SRT8 with under 100K for less than you will spend to build yours.

Last edited by StangSlayerMA; 01-29-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Even getting another Jeep with a 5.7 will be a better place to start. Not necessarily an SRT
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM

True. I was thinking of finding a motor from a wrecked car and same for tranny. No looking for new, but still they aren't cheap. Idk where I'm going to go with it. I was just mainly looking to see what it would cost to take on such a project. I appreciate all you guys' input tho! Either way I'm still gonna keep my eyes open for any options.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Elite Contributing Member

It's possible but not cheap...you're better off getting a Jeep with a hemi in it already.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlaciusGA View Post
True. I was thinking of finding a motor from a wrecked car and same for tranny. No looking for new, but still they aren't cheap.

Think about it a while before you do anything. You already have $6,800 invested in your Jeep. Even if you get an engine and tranny for say $5000, you're into it for $11,800. Then the supporting pieces to put it together, etc.......approaching $15,000. Your Jeep is only worth around $7,000-$8,000......so it turns into a major negative investment. A basic rule of thumb is never invest more into a vehicle, than the finished restored value........unless you have money falling out of your a$$, and just dont care about how much money you lose.
Customizing it will only further depreciate the value, because it makes it sellable to fewer people. So you will have to commit.....do it right.....and keep it for a long time, because you will lose all of the money you put into it. You have to question if a junkyard motor and tranny are going to last long enough to be worth the investment.

Think about the kind of cars you can buy/finance for $15,000-$20,000 that are fast, reliable, and are able to be resold for their blue book value.

Last edited by StangSlayerMA; 01-29-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangSlayerMA View Post
Think about it a while before you do anything. You already have $6,800 invested in your Jeep. Even if you get an engine and tranny for say $5000, you're into it for $11,800. Then the supporting pieces to put it together, etc.......approaching $15,000. Your Jeep is only worth around $7,000-$8,000......so it turns into a major negative investment. A basic rule of thumb is never invest more into a vehicle, than the finished restored value........unless you have money falling out of your a$$, and just dont care about how much money you lose.
Customizing it will only further depreciate the value, because it makes it sellable to fewer people. So you will have to commit.....do it right.....and keep it for a long time, because you will lose all of the money you put into it. You have to question if a junkyard motor and tranny are going to last long enough to be worth the investment.

Think about the kind of cars you can buy/finance for $15,000-$20,000 that are fast, reliable, and are able to be resold for their blue book value.
That's what I was just thinking about. Hell I wouldn't just buy a junkyard motor and try to drop it in. It'd have to be tested and probably freshened up and what not. But either way I don't mind throwing a lot in it since I have the title, and because of that I don't plan to get rid of it unless someone throws me a ridiculous offer I can't turn down. But it all isn't going to happen anytime soon. I need a better paying job first. So maybe by that time I can do more research and shit, find out what'd be best to go with etc. But he'll if its gonna cost me close to $20k to build it I may as well buy a low mileage '03 Mustang Cobra lol. We got plenty of them around here
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Just drive your jeep the way it sits and save up for something you really want! You do not want to be car poor..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.