Thanks Ralphy Boy. A $72k Jeep - Page 6 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM

I definately agree that the price of admission is getting startlingly high.......but it didn't prevent me from ordering one!

Seriously, I mean what other new SUV model out there is gonna give you 470 hp, 8-sp, AWD, 8" NAV, 19-speaker HK sound system, dual sunroof, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, bad-ass exterior, etc, etc. for the price? A fully loaded X50i is gonna cost you close to $80K and still can't match the performance of the SRT. (and boring as hell to look at as well). And let's not even talk about the Cayenne S which has an option list a mile long.

The 2014 gives you pretty much everything you can ask for in car/SUV.....Power, Performance, Technology, Comfort, Utility, Room, Styling, and yes, even Value.

Yes, $70K is a lot of money. But let's not forget this is 2013.....a dollar doesn't buy you much these days. Hell, even a million dollars isn't a big deal. One of my cousins has a net worth of about a million dollars and he still drives a beat-up 2005 Volvo.
2012 GC SRT8: Brilliant Black/Black, Luxury Grp 2, Pano Roof, SRT Hi-Perf. Audio, Tow package, 35% front tint, debadged, rebadged, LED rear bulbs, clear bra, CF Rear Hatch Strip, additional CF interior trim.

Coming Soon: 2014 SRT8: Steel Metallic/Sepia, 20" Vapor Black Chrome Wheels

Last edited by Kim910; 01-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Major Contributing Member

Thanks Ralphy Boy. A $72k Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas SRT8 View Post
Long live the WK1!!!

Your not kiddin'!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6TA View Post
^ the 300srt should have a refresh with the 8 speed trams and updates by July. I like the Jeep, but the operating costs are too high (fuel, depreciation). Now I am between a used 2012 Audi S6, used 2011-2012 BMW 550ix, new 300srt. ( yes it is cheaper to operate high end german sedans than a Jeep) I really want AWD. I will decide this summer, until then I patiently wait to see the updated 300srt.

I also am anticipating a refresh with the 300, but I think I will hold on to my2012 because it already has the 8.4 Nav and stuff like that.......8-speed would be nice but I honestly don't mind the 5-Speed. Additionally, my car stickered for $53k and I paid $50k even for it, ordered it, waited 5 weeks, and can tell you after slamming all the SRT's around the SRT Track Experience I can say I am happy with my choice to get a 300.
My only issue..........would love to have AWD.......,that is why I am so pissed off about the $70k price point on the 2014 Jeep, because I wanted one, but just can't justify it.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Just my 2cents from a new guy..I agree with Kim above. I have had a lot of european cars and this would be my first Jeep. Expensive yes - but cheaper than the europeans. I have cross shopped against the BMW, Porsche, etc..and the BMW's are boring as hell in the interior. The Porsches are amazing in the interior and their is no Audi to compare nor MB. So what's left? I am a gadget guy. Period. This model seems to have all the gadgets and then some. Much more more than any other SUV on the road. What is funny to me is that people are bashing the cheap materials of the interior..really? Maybe 1 or 2 people on this forum have actually seen one in person and only they should be able to comment. That said, the cars on the show circuit are preproduction too, so I would give them a little lea-weigh for panels gaps, etc.

Anyway - another thing that hasn't been discussed is the public perception of what car you drive. I can afford all the cars discussed, however would feel more comfortable showing up to work in this Jeep than a Porsche or BMW. Sometimes people make judgements that aren't reality just because of the brand.

I liked the first generation, but this style is more me. Hence - deposit already at the dealer. There are only two things that do concern me: service (will have to build a relationship with the owner/mgr of the dealership) and first model year out (who knows what build qualities it will have).
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Elite Contributing Member

2014 is just a mid cycle refresh with the 8 speed tranny etc...so build quality shouldn't be an issue^^^
Craig 08 GCSRT8-- Eibach's, BT Catch Can, Custom Whipple Setup, Shorty Antenna, 180tstat, other appearance goodies by BT and carbon fiber accents... Jerseyboy Tuned with a custom wrapped Alcantara steering wheel
12.06 @ 113
SRTBEAST
2013 Modern Street Hemi Shootout Stock Points Champion
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM

My feeling is the 70k is justifiable. I think that with all of the upgrades from the WK1 and inflation that the price is not out of line. Gas was $.99 a gallon 13 years ago and its $3.50 today. 3.5x the price and it is no better today than 13 years ago. I think that Chrysler is trying to use the SRT brand to attract the MB,BMW, Audi crowd with this line. Bottom line is if you dont want to pay 70k then drive the crap out of your WK1 or buy something in the price range you want to spend.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,460 Times in 960 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
I'm not sure why everyone is shocked by the pricing on this model. New trans 5K, upgraded lighting/nav/radio another 2K or so. So where is the confusion? Do I think the price is high for a jeep, yes but all things considered it makes sense as aligned with there target market
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6TA View Post
^ the 300srt should have a refresh with the 8 speed trams and updates by July. I like the Jeep, but the operating costs are too high (fuel, depreciation). Now I am between a used 2012 Audi S6, used 2011-2012 BMW 550ix, new 300srt. ( yes it is cheaper to operate high end german sedans than a Jeep) I really want AWD. I will decide this summer, until then I patiently wait to see the updated 300srt.
call and get an insurance quote first.

I had a 300hp twin turbo bmw before the wk2 and with the wk2, I'm paying less then half on insurance.

the S6 and 550xi are still pigs on gas. so I have a feeling your running costs won't be too far between the euros and the WK2 jeep. The cheapest option is the 300srt when it comes with the 8 speed when you factor in insurance rates and such.

that is unless you're paying so little for insurance that it's a moot point. I'm 30, so my insurance isn't as long as some of the older ladies and gents on here I suspect.

Oh, and so far, parts are about half the price on the jeep as my BMW was. So far, moving to a high performance jeep and seeing 300$ lowering springs and 600$ tuners, this thing is cheap to modify If I were a honda owner, I'm sure i'd be thinking the opposite, but so far, it's a blessing.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps043 View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is shocked by the pricing on this model. New trans 5K, upgraded lighting/nav/radio another 2K or so. So where is the confusion? Do I think the price is high for a jeep, yes but all things considered it makes sense as aligned with there target market
you're forgetting inflation too...

I've only seen one person point out inflation in this thread so far.

I mean seriously guys, how come you aren't *****ing that 20k is too much for a car? Cause I could have gotten a lamborgini in 1971 for about 21,000.

could have gotten a VW beetle for about 1200 in 1971. now that was a deal

It's all relative, and all that's going on here is just a bunch of hot air being blown around the room.
The Following User Says Thank You to loud8 For This Useful Post:
Shake (01-31-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM

I'm on my 3rd consecutive brand new SRT, so it's not really about "hot air", it's about consumer opinion. And this consumers opinion is that a $20,000 + increase in price is not fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedEight For This Useful Post:
Gbustic (01-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.