4WD delay - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM

4WD delay

Hello,
This winter was the first time I could really test the 4WD system on my 2009 SRT8. To my surprise the traction control kicked in before the transfer case reacted. Is that an expected behavior? Since the traction control limits the engine power, I'm only able to accellerate like a normal RWD car, really annoying.

Also, with ESD disabled, it takes almost a second before the FWD kicks in. That is a huge delay when driving under slippery conditions, especially in higher speeds.

Is there some way to adjust the setting for the transfer case and traction control? I've had several other 4WD cars but none of them have been like this. My transfer case was completely renovated last spring, so I called and asked the Jeep mechanic but he said that it was normal and that there is nothing to adjust, its all mechanical. I also e-mailed Chrysler and asked, and they said that there could be a "slight" delay.

How are your cars?

Thanks for a great forum!
/Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Elite Contributing Member

There isn't an adjustment for it. Don't drive with the ESP disabled unless you're stuck in the snow. Driving with it off constantly isn't the greatest for the tcase. As for how the system reacts, it is rear-biased until it senses slip, then it transfers power to the front wheels. I've never had an issue in the snow with my Jeep. Do you have winter tires on your Jeep? The GY all-seasons suck traction wise.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM

I have really good studded winter tires.
If I don't have ESP shut off, my car acts like an RWD car all the time since the traction system acts faster than the transfer case, so traction is limited on the rear wheels before it's given a chance to drive on all wheels. This also causes the car to behave like a RWD car.

If the ESP senses a slip, it should immediate activate switch to 50/50, but instead, in my case, it limits engine power. The car wouldn't slip if it was 4WD before ESP kicked in.

I guess I need to speed up the transfer case or slow down my traction control in order to fix this.. :/
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexter View Post
Hello,
This winter was the first time I could really test the 4WD system on my 2009 SRT8. To my surprise the traction control kicked in before the transfer case reacted. Is that an expected behavior? Since the traction control limits the engine power, I'm only able to accellerate like a normal RWD car, really annoying.

Also, with ESD disabled, it takes almost a second before the FWD kicks in. That is a huge delay when driving under slippery conditions, especially in higher speeds.

Is there some way to adjust the setting for the transfer case and traction control? I've had several other 4WD cars but none of them have been like this. My transfer case was completely renovated last spring, so I called and asked the Jeep mechanic but he said that it was normal and that there is nothing to adjust, its all mechanical. I also e-mailed Chrysler and asked, and they said that there could be a "slight" delay.

How are your cars?

Thanks for a great forum!
/Peter
The SRT8 is AWD, not 4WD....there is a big difference.

Like Ekaz said, this is a RWD biased AWD system. The transfer case delivers 90% power to the rear axle, and 10% power to the front until wheel spin is detected. Then it can send up to 40% of the power to the front, but we also have open differentials.......power only goes to one wheel per axle. This type of AWD drive system is designed for maximum traction from a dead stop on dry pavement, not slosh through the snow.......but with good snow tires, and a little practice using the throttle to manipulate the AWD system to send power to the front, it should be manageable. You can't drive it like a 4WD SUV in the snow, you have to treat it like a RWD vehicle. The AWD system wont send more power to the front unless you are spinning the rear tires. You have to use the throttle to steer the truck, and drift it around corners. It doesn't drift smoothly, its kind of a herky-jerky fight for power between the front and rear axles. The truck wiggles left and right as the AWD system figures out which wheel to send power to.

Last edited by StangSlayerMA; 01-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributing Member

If you get a custom tune it works better. Less interference with the ESP.
I leave my tune all year round. Lets me slide alot more before it kicks in.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

We haves just received snow for the first time since I fitted my wavetrac rear diff
I've noticed the front starts to drive much earlier, maybe because the rear wheels both drive?
There is still a slight delay so you can make it drift but it doesn't seem to activate the traction control unless you really drive like your on a dry road, floor it and all 4 wheels spin full power no traction limiting power at all, the light flashes but you can drive at 30mph with the speedo reading 90mph
Interior led's, 5" tips, straight through resonators and front silencers, mopar tcm, SRT lower grille emblem, front side 35% tints, blue under hood kit from BT, BC coil overs, Stlllen headlight covers now gloss black.

How much more to spend?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangSlayerMA View Post
The SRT8 is AWD, not 4WD....there is a big difference.

Like Ekaz said, this is a RWD biased AWD system. The transfer case delivers 90% power to the rear axle, and 10% power to the front until wheel spin is detected. Then it can send up to 40% of the power to the front, but we also have open differentials.......power only goes to one wheel per axle. This type of AWD drive system is designed for maximum traction from a dead stop on dry pavement, not slosh through the snow.......but with good snow tires, and a little practice using the throttle to manipulate the AWD system to send power to the front, it should be manageable. You can't drive it like a 4WD SUV in the snow, you have to treat it like a RWD vehicle. The AWD system wont send more power to the front unless you are spinning the rear tires. You have to use the throttle to steer the truck, and drift it around corners. It doesn't drift smoothly, its kind of a herky-jerky fight for power between the front and rear axles. The truck wiggles left and right as the AWD system figures out which wheel to send power to.
Actually like you said, by using the throttle its possible to make it send power to the front although it's limiting the power already with the traction control. There must be some kind of programming that activates the transfer case based on throttle position. Cool!
I had never tried that since I saw no point in pressing the gas pedal even more when the traction control had already kicked in. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,051 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexter View Post
Actually like you said, by using the throttle its possible to make it send power to the front although it's limiting the power already with the traction control. There must be some kind of programming that activates the transfer case based on throttle position. Cool!
I had never tried that since I saw no point in pressing the gas pedal even more when the traction control had already kicked in. Thanks for the advice!
With a CMR tune you can have your tuner eliminate the throttle control while still allowing the t-case to do it's thing. If you stay stock that's what you get.
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood W6A calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Performance Autowerks 4" CAI, CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Im right with the op. While the engagement of the front can be induced, its unpredictability is really annoying. Its a element im not liking. Example. A slide has occured or is induced. At the crest of the slide throttle must be applied to correct. U know the correct amount of front wheel pull, steering angle, and throttle needed, but to achieve this the over use of throttle must be used to engage 4wd and constant application of throttle needs to be maintained to keep it engaged. All of that results in a slip angle that is unwanted and dangerous.

One of the reasons I believe the esp is so hypersensitive is too 100% eliminate the chance of sliding. From a safety standpoint on paper it sounds great. But if intentionally or unintentionally your in the situation your sol. I found out the hardway, first storm I had to get it sideways as the front was plowing and needed to avoid the idiot who pulled in front me. Traction control was already turned off as i have read how inhibiting it can be in the snow. So I envoked the slide with the ebrake, and guess what, esp kicked in. Shit, now im sideways with no throttle. Glad it was a open field i went into. Irrated with the situation later that day I pulled the abs fuse. Find a big covered lot and induce a slide. I then found the delay this thread explains. I was searching why is there a delay. Now I know.

So seeing as there is no real cure for it aside from never getting into a situation, logically as we all know I think im gonna sell it. Maybe the newer ones dont have this issue, it seems to act more like a vehicle with acd rather then a off, delay, activate 4wd system. I wish i knew what i know now before i bought it. Sucks cause i really like the jeep.

Btw mine is a 06. Please forgive typos, on phone.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,051 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt S View Post
Im right with the op. While the engagement of the front can be induced, its unpredictability is really annoying. Its a element im not liking. Example. A slide has occured or is induced. At the crest of the slide throttle must be applied to correct. U know the correct amount of front wheel pull, steering angle, and throttle needed, but to achieve this the over use of throttle must be used to engage 4wd and constant application of throttle needs to be maintained to keep it engaged. All of that results in a slip angle that is unwanted and dangerous.

One of the reasons I believe the esp is so hypersensitive is too 100% eliminate the chance of sliding. From a safety standpoint on paper it sounds great. But if intentionally or unintentionally your in the situation your sol. I found out the hardway, first storm I had to get it sideways as the front was plowing and needed to avoid the idiot who pulled in front me. Traction control was already turned off as i have read how inhibiting it can be in the snow. So I envoked the slide with the ebrake, and guess what, esp kicked in. Shit, now im sideways with no throttle. Glad it was a open field i went into. Irrated with the situation later that day I pulled the abs fuse. Find a big covered lot and induce a slide. I then found the delay this thread explains. I was searching why is there a delay. Now I know.

So seeing as there is no real cure for it aside from never getting into a situation, logically as we all know I think im gonna sell it. Maybe the newer ones dont have this issue, it seems to act more like a vehicle with acd rather then a off, delay, activate 4wd system. I wish i knew what i know now before i bought it. Sucks cause i really like the jeep.

Btw mine is a 06. Please forgive typos, on phone.
Do you have a tune? Your tuner can allow the throttle to work while slipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4wd delay, traction control, transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.