Vortech V3 Base Build Questions - Kinda Long - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM

My brain says I will control my right foot and save the tranny. My history says I should set some money aside. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and borrowed money from my parents for new rear tires on my Camaro since I spun em down to the belts. Two days later my dad looks at the back of the car and says "I thought we gave you money for tires?" I replied that they did and I need new tires. Suffice to say that was the first and final tire loan.
2008 GCSRT8 - Black - 22" Bonspeeds, CF Medic V1 hood, Paramount Stage II VB, Paramount Tranny Cooler, Toona Tuned, Bwoody 4", BT Catch Can, QTP Cutouts, Borla S, QA1s, End Links, Volt 4300k HID fogs, Stant 18# cap, 1 pc Upper Hose, NGK V-power plugs, WeatherTechs & Liquiddomes, Custom Stereo, Cryoed R1s/Stoptechs/ATE Super Blue, painted calipers.

Pending Install: Techco Supercharger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM

not to derail, but what does a built trans cost n these things? thinking i will probaly need one soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,051 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
not to derail, but what does a built trans cost n these things? thinking i will probaly need one soon.
SHR is around $4000 or less depending on who is having a sale and Paramount is around $4850 according to the website.
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood W6A calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Performance Autowerks 4" CAI, CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,418 Times in 905 Posts
Also factor in freight charges and consider a nice converter/flextplate combo while you're doing it so you don't have to go back in later...plus labor and fluids of course.
I wonder if they have Outback Steakhouses in the Outback?

2012-2013 Demon Performance Procharger Kits on sale now!!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuredoften View Post
I am taking advantage of Demon Performance's awesome deal on some Vortech V3's and quickly went from just starting to plan a build (i.e. I knew I wanted a lot more power) to trying to cobble together my semi-complete plan in a short time now that the specific power-adder is known. I have several questions that I just sent to Skip who I know will do an awesome job of helping me given his outstanding reputation for customer service on this forum, but I figured I'd also throw it out to the community since I've been reading as many threads as I can for the past week or so and haven't necessarily located a consolidated answer. I know there are a lot of owners out there who were in my position at one point in time so I'm eager to hear from experiences...

Gauges/Pod/Tuner
First, what kind of gauge pods are available? I'd like one that matches the 2008 stock interior A-pillar so it looks factory. Are there multiple choices or even one at all? Not sure on the number of pods. There's about 4 gauges i'd like but realistically won't get at the moment (trans temp, fuel pressure, boost, and AFR). I know the AFR is the most important, but what would the second, third, and fourth most-important gauges be?

At the very least I'll get AFR. I do like the AEM Failsafe Digital AFR/boost gauge combo though.

After I get the kit I'll own two DS Predators. Should I consider ditching those for a Trinity? Regarding the DS Trinity, does it have the ability to take the place of any of these gauges full-time if mounted in a pod?

Tranny
Ideally I need my tranny to hold for one year. I just turned 70k and I changed all fluids in the vehicle except for the tranny fluid. I know I will be doing the tranny fluid and filter at the time of install, but I'm also thinking it may be good to add a tranny cooler (like a B&M SuperCooler or equivalent) and Blue Top Solenoids at the time of install. I don't want to fork out $1900 for a upgraded valvebody at this time, so that will have to wait for the full tranny upgrade. Thoughts?

Fuel
Taking into account the need for reliability of my stock tranny, there's no point in me initially pushing the boost past the base Vortech level (via pulleys/etc). Therefore, I believe I am okay at this point with the kit's supplied 52# injectors (as opposed to upgrading to 80#s). I've seen some threads that voice concern about the BAPs...should I be worried about the BAP now or only after I start going past the Vortech's base boost?

Tune
Thoughts on the base Vortech tune? I know that CMR's are always better (I have a custom tune from Johan now), but I'm wondering if the base Vortech tune will be just fine for now so I don't have to get a CMR now and then one year from now when I pick up a tranny/converter/bigger injectors/etc.

Thanks everyone, and if I left out anything that you all think I should consider please let me know.

I can answer a lot of these questions for you.

I installed a Vortech V3 on my 2008 JGC SRT8 back in May 2011. I have since put on 25,000KMS on it.

First, if you are stock you will see 7-8 lbs as THAT is how much the kit makes stock with the 32 tooth pulley. Second I have been using my stock tranny this whole time and with a mild tune it was totally fine. I switched to a 30 tooth pully last summer as well and it held up okay. HOWEVER regarding the tranny YES you will need to replace it down the road. Mine is slipping and it always went into limp mode on the 3-4 shift whenever I tried out any tune that made more power. My tranny is currently failing now and it has popped out of gear a few times and refused to work until I played with it a bit, but it's days are definitely numbered I am currently in the process of getting an SHR from Skip. Hurry hurry!
This brings me to my next point: There is a current group buy on the SHR Viking transmission (I'm in line waiting too lol) that ends at the end of January, so I suggest getting on that to save money in the future. Mind you, I did get 25,000kms out of my tranny before it became a liability but that's with a mild tune and running anywhere from 7-10lbs of boost. So it's possible but it WILL go eventually.

I am also running Autometer Cobalt gauges and they go quite nice with the factory cluster. I am only using the Kenne Bell BAP and it's been fine thus far no shortage of fuel issues but you do need a wideband gauge for sure (or a trinity I guess) to be safe.
The A-Pillar looks fine with my 08', It's not perfect but it fits great and looks fine, doesn't stand out horribly or anything.

LAFNGAS@TTC wrote "vortech was the 1st to the market and has proved itself most definetly, im just speaking as a fellow canadian with where our daily driven winter vehicles at times have to see -40*c/-40*f sometimes for weeks on end and even then the average usual temp is in the -25*c/-13*f. allowing the vehicle to idle/run for the usual 10-15mins to allow the head unit to warm up would be strongly advised and even then could take the s/c belt off probably and not worry about having to turn the supercharger at all"

I agree Vortech is great and I live in Edmonton. A lot of people seem to be very nervous about running a V3 head unit in this frozen climate.
I just want to let everyone know that this is my second ridiculously cold winter with my Vortech and it's been great. I had the same concerns as you and then "Lefty" who is in Calgary as well, runs his all year around and ensured me it would be fine. All I do is plug in when it's cold and stay out of boost until she is nice and warm just like LAFNGAS@TTC said all you have to do is give the Jeep time to warm up about 10 mins or so and no issues at all. So don't worry about that, I did not have to disconnect the blower. With just the Vortech kit installed and no other mods with a MILD tune I ran easy mid 12's and this kit should get the average guy high 11's with a serious tune so it's a great start to getting seriously fast.

Good luck with your build, if you have any other questions let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattSRT4 For This Useful Post:
930chas (02-08-2013), Injuredoften (01-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.