Having Power Issues. Can't track down this Gremlin. Any ideas. - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Having Power Issues. Can't track down this Gremlin. Any ideas.

Starting to happen more frequently now. But here's the issue and it's history

About three months ago. While driving, I got the Battery icon ding on my dashboard. Pulled over checked everything out nothing out of the ordinary, Jeep still running strong. Then the key fob stopped working, it wouldn't lock, unlock or remote start the jeep. Bought new batteries for the Fobs and it worked once then nothing. Set an appointment to get everything looked at. Well they couldn't find anything wrong. Key Fobs were working fine and everything.

About a two months ago I got into the Jeep drove from my house to the exchange (three minute drive) was inside exchange about 10 minutes. Unlocked fine. Turn key. NADA..NOTHING...Radio on, all lights on dash on, but it would not crank over.

Pulled out Jumpers and it fired up with no problem jumpers were not even on for 1 minute.

About a month ago same issue as above. But the weird thing is in between issues, it fires up fine remote starts like nothing is wrong. But randomly it will do nothing.

This morning got up tried remote starting, nothing. Lights flash dash came on but when it went to crank over NADA... Put key in ignition tried to crank it over and nada...Alarm started going off (horn honking) weird....I pressed the unlock on the fob it shut off.

Put a set of cables on it and this is the first time it took about five minutes on the cables before it would finally crank over...

I am thinking it is the battery. I'm second owner of the Jeep and the battery is the originally Factory installed. So it has to be about 5 to 6 years old.

Will have to get a battery tester on it and see for sure.

Anyhow if it is the battery any suggestions for a good battery. Especially one that works well in cold weather...It was 32 this morning and in April I am moving to Virginia for more cold winters. LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 951 Posts
Pop a new battery in there...mine is an 07' and mine was replaced 2 years ago. Also make sure your battery connectors still look good.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR View Post
Pop a new battery in there...mine is an 07' and mine was replaced 2 years ago. Also make sure your battery connectors still look good.
any recommendations for a better battery than stock
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Major Contributing Member

Yeah searching around on here I've read that our jeeps are pretty sensitive to older batteries and the electrical systems will freak out with low voltages or what not. Search around on here and you will find other people that had similar problems. It would def be your first attempt at a fix.

2007 Silver

PERFORMANCE: It's NA. It's Fun. It's Loud as hell

EXTERIOR: Beautiful inside and out.
The Following User Says Thank You to SemperP-SRT8 For This Useful Post:
Mister Moe (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Some of us are going with the Optima Red Top...And few guys have went with the Duralast and its been great for them...

I really like the Optima batteries, I change all my vehicles over to these when any stock battery needs replacing and I run 3 of them (blue tops) in our boat as well. No bad experiences at all, only good things to say about them. Very reliable from my experience and they last. But like anything I'm sure there are some bad reviews out there as well.

I'm going through a battery change with my Jeep and the Optima Red Top is going in.
Price is great and its about 12- 15lbs lighter then stock battery or replacement...Not like that makes a big different but not many places to save weight on these pigs.
Mister Moe (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
any recommendations for a better battery than stock
I run whatever the auto parts store has the "top of the line" of.....
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
I replaced my OEM battery with an Optima Redtop a few months back. Expensive but good.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron7 View Post
I replaced my OEM battery with an Optima Redtop a few months back. Expensive but good.
Went on their site and their drop down doesn't have an option for the Grand Cherokee as one of the Jeep vehicles...

Can you give me some more info on this battery
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Anybody use one of these? The size seems right.

EVERSTART MAXX Size H7
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
A good piece of advice for when you replace your battery is to pick up a can of disc brake quiet. Once you've cleaned the cable ends and attached to the new battery, spray down both the positive and negative clamps. I know it sounds goofy but its a great way to prevent acid build up on the posts/clamps. Been doing that for 5 years on every battery replacement and never had an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSheldonCooper For This Useful Post:
Mister Moe (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.