Kooks Midpipe Cat Rattle - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Kooks Midpipe Cat Rattle

I have Kooks headers and catted midpipes. I am also running a Johan tune - which is unbelievable. I have been through 2 sets of midpipes. I guess the exhaust gets so hot that it "melts" the welds in the cat and causes the metal inside to become loose.....and then rattle. It is very annoying!! Kooks told me to take them off and try to break out the loose metal inside the cats by shoving something inside them to push out the loose metal. Yeah, that didn't work! Has anyone else had this problem? Before I order the midpipes without the cats from Kooks, I wanted to see if anyone else has/had this problem. Would you recommend ordering from Kooks or is there a better product? I have called Kooks both times and they are not willing to help me out.....I just have to buy new ones each time $$$. I appreciate any opinions or info! Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Never heard of that happening. If you want to get cats, go with the Magnaflow/Carsound hi flow cats. They're relatively inexpensive if you don't get the premium cats, and they work great. I think I got a replacement for my old car (93 Caprice Classic w/ 5.0) for $60 shipped on ebay.

If you're just gonne run straight pipe, any muffler shop should be able to cut and weld them in for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Elite Contributing Member

this is common w/ kooks hi-flow cats. i have the rattle too. when it first started a few years ago it wasn't that bad, i'd only hear it on cold starts mostly and then it would go away. but lately it's gotten louder and doesn't go away when the pipes warm up. sounds like marbles bouncing around a tin can. i'm not trying to pay kooks another $600 for a new set of their made-in-china cats, as it would only be a matter of time until the new ones start rattling.

Last edited by promo718; 11-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Yes, marbles bouncing in a tin can is exactly how it sounds! Just can't tolerate it anymore. Kooks said that my tune is causing it - which may be true, but I would expect a good exhaust system to take some excessive heat. I can't find a welder or exhaust shop around Omaha, NE that will cut them out. Anytime I mention "exhaust" or "cat" they get all excited and tell me that they won't cut a cat out. Nebraska doesn't even have emission tests here. Not sure why they wont do it.......I planned on pulling them off and just taking the mids to them. Called 2 different exhaust places and 3 welding shops. Frustrating! Does anyone else make a midpipe that will work with Kooks headers and Corsa exhaust?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM

I thought Kooks were suppose to be the best but I guess they have their issues too.
Maybe going catless is your only option to prevent it from happening in the future, but the smell gets old after a while.

www.dingsracing.com
I'm gettting frustrated with modding
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Any chance this happens when you get on the gas and then release it quickly? like just tap the gas pedal in say 5th gear at 50 or so mph. Had kooks headers with midpipes installed a few months ago and I've just started to get a weird noise that sounds like metal rolling around and I'm trying to figure out what it is
Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umberto987 View Post
Any chance this happens when you get on the gas and then release it quickly? like just tap the gas pedal in say 5th gear at 50 or so mph. Had kooks headers with midpipes installed a few months ago and I've just started to get a weird noise that sounds like metal rolling around and I'm trying to figure out what it is
mine rattle like that too - it happens at certain rpm's. you're lucky that you noticed it early and are within the kooks 1-year warranty period. take a rubber mallet to the pipes to see where the sound is emanating from. kooks owes you a new set if it's the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.