New Colorado owner: 2012 SRT8 Grand - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Member Assistance / New Member Introductions / Site Problems > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in to tell us a little about yourself and your car.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaheep View Post
Colorado roads suck for the most part and those Pirellis were just too stiff...... The ride was like rolling on a skateboard. They would make a good track tire I suppose but after two weeks we got real tired of the bone-jarring.
Understandable. Everyone's comfort levels are different. Personally, I prefer driving around in track mode 90% of the time and don't mind the stiff ride. I just bought a new set of all season Pirelli take offs, but they came out of Chicago. I thought about switching away from the run flats, but I liked the all season Pirelli so far. They have handled well in all weather so far and grip well.

Any specific reason you chose the Yokos?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Major Contributing Member

Welcome from the 5280!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to phillysrt
congrats on the new buy!!!! exhaust looks great! best of luck with it

Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Understandable. Everyone's comfort levels are different. Personally, I prefer driving around in track mode 90% of the time and don't mind the stiff ride. I just bought a new set of all season Pirelli take offs, but they came out of Chicago. I thought about switching away from the run flats, but I liked the all season Pirelli so far. They have handled well in all weather so far and grip well.

Any specific reason you chose the Yokos?

Heh heh, yeah I can't imagine being able to tollerate the Track mode setting during daily driving duties. Not out here anyway.

We also noticed quite a bit of interior road noise compared to the Trailblazer SS we traded in for this SRT8. I dropped the air pressure down in the Pirelli's from the 44 psi that was in them upon delivery, to 33 psi (the lowest the TPM's would allow before getting the warning light) and didn't notice a bit of difference in ride quality or road noise.

We have a very nice selection of curvy roads out here in the foot hills and mountains and I took the Jeep for a very spirited run up one road near me. I found that the Pirelli's up front - even aired down to 33 lbs - would push on the tight turns. A pretty un-settling feeling. I just didn't find the Pirelli's to be very grippy.

We ran Blizzaks year 'round on our TBSS and we LOVED those tires in all conditions. Like driving on velcro be it wet, dry or frozen/snow. The TBSS was our preferred car to drive in sloppy conditions because of the Blizzaks. We got about 42K miles out of the last set. REALLY disappointed that they're not made in the correct size for the SRT8 Jeep.

Which is why we went with the Yokohama's. Not many tire choices in 295/45/20. And at $182/tire....... the decision was fairly easy. On line we found that over 88% of folks that bought the Yokohamas liked them in all conditions. We wanted a good winter tire and these just seemed to be the best choice since the Blizzaks were not an option.

We've had the Yokohama's on now for a couple weeks and 2 snows with slick roads and so far they've performed as expected. Not blown away with slick road performance like we were with the Blizzaks, but these do work well. Interior road noise was reduced noticibly as well.

Wheew....... How's that for an answer?

BTW........ if anyone wants another set of Pirelli Scorpions, I've still got them...... 1100 miles on 'em........ make you a heckuva deal!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Definitely not a whole lot of 295/45/20 tire selections that's for sure. You can also run a 305/xx/20 if wanted. I also looked into tires in the 295/xx/20 range, just lower profiles. I ended up finding the brand new take offs for the same price basically as new non run flats, so I stuck with the OEM tire again. You're offering a pretty deal on your takes offs, glws.

You can always upgrade to a nice 22" wheel and tire combo. The 22"s look good on the WK2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.