Supercharger? - Page 5 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

I am very happy with my Maggie! Its quiet in normal operation, looks great under the hood, 100k internal oil change intervals, and zero issues. She runs 11.6-.7's in the quarter and is a complete sleeper because of the sound...or lack there of at idle. Very very pleased with it.
2008 JGC SRT8, Magnuson Supercharged on 6 lbs, Lilboy +4, Kooks Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats, Borla S, Bwoody CAI, Jet 180tstat, Moroso Catch Can, Mopar TCM, Nitto NT05's 275/315's, 8000k Fogs, Best corrected ET 11.34 @ 121, Tuned by Johan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraz View Post
I bought my 2010 Jeep brand new with a Vortech SC already installed by the dealer. I have just over 21k on the odometer and drive my Jeep almost every day. I have more runs down the 1/4 mile drag strip than I can count and even more informal launches on isolated country roads.

My family has made three long trips in the Jeep between Iowa and North Caroline (2300+ miles round trip) and several trips between Iowa and Kentucky (1100+ miles round trip). Only problems I have had with the SC Jeep in the 2+ years of ownership is a leaking gasket on the transfer case (quick fix covered under warranty) and a t-stat failure. I have a second set of wheels with high performance snow tires for driving in the winter. I have no concerns about reliability (beyond any other car) as I carefully monitor and maintain my vehicle.

After my positive experience with the Vortech and the Jeep, I can't imagine ever having a DD that can't run under 4 seconds to sixty.

Do you have stock trans, if so how many miles have u put on it with the sc installed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love the snow View Post
Do you have stock trans, if so how many miles have u put on it with the sc installed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hey bud that post is just about three years old. Not so sure he's going to answer you. I run a Vortech setup too.
When I put my kid on I probably put on 30,000 km on the stock transmission give or take. It held up for a while before it started to slip.
Now I run an SHR Viking.

The rule of thumb is if you throw a valve body in it or switch to blue tops you could add even more life to your transmission. I didn't do anything to my transmission at all and I still got that much out of it.
But eventually you are going to need a new transmission they will wear out they will start to slip because you'll be making a lot more power with the blower.

diablotoona was here...

Old 01-31-2015, 02:22 PM

I was debating between a Turbo, Procharger or a Maggie?

I can get a really good deal on the Procharger, but I like the instant torque and OEM looks of the Maggie. If I can find a Maggie for a good price, I am probably going to go that route.

If anyone knows of a group buy or deal on the Maggie please PM me. Thanks..
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 PM

MattSRT4- Thanks for the transmission upgrade info. I am going to get those upgrades lined up and installed before the blower install.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTSSTANG For This Useful Post:
MattSRT4 (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:05 PM

Supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSSTANG View Post
I was debating between a Turbo, Procharger or a Maggie?

I can get a really good deal on the Procharger, but I like the instant torque and OEM looks of the Maggie. If I can find a Maggie for a good price, I am probably going to go that route.

If anyone knows of a group buy or deal on the Maggie please PM me. Thanks..

Your choice all depends on what your final goal is really.

Vortech - One of the oldest kits with proven reliability and excellent power. Centrifugal superchargers make more boost and power as the RPM increases so there's more peak power, similar to a turbo. Downside is a lot of people don't like the power cooler "sea turtle" I call it.

ProCharger - just like the Vortech only it flows even more with 1400 CFM compared to the Vortech Si's 1150 CFM. So ultimately it has more potential. It comes with a front mount intercooler that looks really nice in the front grill and is a newer kit than the Vortech. Downside is they tend to throw more belts but there are ways around it and fixes.

Maggie - probably the neatest looking blower, looks like it came factory a lot of folks say. Boost comes on a lot quicker in the lower RPMs but maxes out very quickly.
They tend to make a lesser power overall than the centrifugal superchargers.

As for turbo that's a whole different animal, LOTS more power with less boost. Of course there's more cost when doing a turbo but that's the nature of the beast. The only other downside is there's a little bit of lag at first (unless you go TwinTurbo) but not much when you have a Hemi.

So just ask yourself how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go and how important looks are.

I find most guys with the centrifugal superchargers (Vortech/Procharger) are generally making roughly 550 hp to the wheels on about 10 pounds of boost give or take on a stock 6.1

I would say most Maggie kits are making close to 500 at the wheels. And most turbo kits are making more like 600+ to the wheels give or take on probably only 7 to 8 pounds of boost.
That's just a ballpark estimate every set up is a little different.

So you just have to decide which way do you want to go.

Last edited by MattSRT4; 01-31-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM

I don't daily drive the Jeep and I am really looking to get something that I can run on the stock engine and install in my garage.

I like the factory look of the Maggie, I dig a good ole turbo too and a low boost turbo will probably make the most power safely.

0-60 is really important to me, 1/4 mile time is secondary. If I can get into the 11s, and 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds or quicker I will be very happy.

I have been wavering between the Maggie and a Turbo.

Do you thing a single turbo can achieve that on a stock engine?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM

Supercharger?

Quote:
I don't daily drive the Jeep and I am really looking to get something that I can run on the stock engine and install in my garage.

I like the factory look of the Maggie, I dig a good ole turbo too and a low boost turbo will probably make the most power safely.

0-60 is really important to me, 1/4 mile time is secondary. If I can get into the 11s, and 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds or quicker I will be very happy.

I have been wavering between the Maggie and a Turbo.

Do you thing a single turbo can achieve that on a stock engine?

Hell yes it can. Get yourself a stage 6 2 step to go along with your turbo kit no problemo. You'll be flirting with three seconds flat with the turbo kit and a 2 step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422744465.023611.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	107313

That's a picture of what Ryley ran with his Vortech setup. Other than the kit he's basically pretty stock.
It was also done on all season tires in a DA over 3000.
What kind of DA do you see where you live?
Because around here the DA is typically between 3000 and 4000 and so far none of the Maggie kids are running faster than about 12.3 in the quarter (typically they are mid 12's here). Only the procharger and vortech have hit 11s in this kind of DA on a stock motor. A turbo kit would only be even quicker.
Food for thought.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM

3.48 that is awesome.

I am in South Florida... Correction... the track is 21 feet above sea level.

Stock, with Nitto 420 tires aired up over 47psi (I did not realize there was so much psi in the tires until after the run, the dealer over inflated them). I did spin... My 60 foot was 1.8X at 13.5X at 101mph.

I just installed the CAI, tune and aired the tires down to 32 psi and now my 0-60 mph dropped .07.

I think I will be in the 12s now. I am going to try and run it tonight at the track.

Last edited by GTSSTANG; 01-31-2015 at 04:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTSSTANG For This Useful Post:
MattSRT4 (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:18 PM
DONE
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
3.48 that is awesome.

I am in South Florida and below sea level. Stock, with Nitto 420 tires aired up over 47psi (I did not realize there was so much psi in the tires until after the run, the dealer over inflated them). I did spin... My 60 foot was 1.8X at 13.5X at 101mph.

I just installed the CAI, tune and aired the tires down to 32 psi and now my 0-60 mph dropped .07.

I think I will be in the 12s now. I am going to try and run it tonight at the track.
Here's my 0-60, stage 6 76mm, built 6.1. It was on low boost, 10#. This was right after I got it back, in 2012. Still needed some street dataloging done.
Attached Thumbnails
1422746283136.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.