Transfer Case issue at 80mph and after WOT - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

» Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Transfer Case issue at 80mph and after WOT

My front drivetrain shutters at 80mph on the freeway when you attempt to accelerate.

Under full throttle the issue goes away, but then returns promptly and more dramatic.

It also does it around town also, do a WOT pull its smooth and then it starts clunking and shuttering on decel and cruise then it goes away until you go WOT again.. it feels like your driving over bumps in the road, but there aren't any.

Removing the actuator completely, makes all issues go away.

Its peculiar because going WOT is good, and no issues. No problems with turning. It's odd when it starts doing it at 80+mph at cruise, but smooth otherwise. It "works itself out" until you go WOT, and then theirs a problem but then it "works it self out" again.

Clutches, actuator, chain?

Anybody have experience with this? I drained some fluid to inspect, and could be some copper in it but no a lot and in addition, it doesn't smell burnt or abnormal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Time for repair, the TC clutches won't disengage.
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.

"I'm a greedy old man. Life's been good to me, and I want some more of it."
John Wayne
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
I had the same issue on my 06. They ripped open all of my rear differential and checked all my spider gears, found nothing but changed the differential fluid, said it seemed an odd consistency and that completely fixed it. Just the diff fluid. If you haven't, that is a cheap place to start to see if that will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks for your input guys.

I have difficultly believing both those options as when in 2wd mode there are no issues. If its either of those options wouldn't you expect to be symptomatic at all times?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
Mine only came about at WOT in passing gear when I would get on it, same exact symptoms you describe, I thought it was my TC, but I had an extended warranty, took it in to the dealership and that's all they did was changed the differential fluid, and I put another 35k miles onnit with it never happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
Thanks for your input guys.

I have difficultly believing both those options as when in 2wd mode there are no issues. If its either of those options wouldn't you expect to be symptomatic at all times?
Well believe what you want.. of course in 2wd you wouldn't have issues... it's not connected to the front drive system...where the problems are.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.