Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Capacities - Page 4 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 General Performance Discussion

WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Major Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to nighthawk306
anyone got a DIY with pics for the transfer case/diff installs? where drain plugs are exactly...if anything needs removal...how long to wait for drains..etc
Magnaflow HFC
pred/Johan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM

2 quarts of NV146 cost me 176,27 CAN from a dealer

PB: 12.77
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributing Member

http://www.oemworldparts.com/Mopar-P.../dp/B007O3BL40
$40.12 a quart.
4" Bwoody CAI|Predator|BT Catch Can|170 T-Stat|Bwoody 1/0/1.7|Tinted LED Tails w/ Lipz Wiring & Rear Fog Harness|Tinted Fog Lamps w/ 4300k HIDs|2 Step Colder NGK Plugs|2.5% Tint|Full LED Interior|Stillens|Shorty Antenna|Custom Flowmaster Exhaust|JL10W6 w/ JL 500/1 Amp|Stage6 Motorsports QA1 shocks|22" Gloss Black Reps|

In the works.... 76mm Turbo
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Garage
where are you guys coming up with 2 quarts of transfer case fluid?

I just changed mine today and I only pulled out 1 quart, and put back in 1 quart of fluid from the dealer. The dealer also told me it shouldn't take more than a quart anyways.

I'm confused.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Sur Askdalotte
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheldonCooper View Post
where are you guys coming up with 2 quarts of transfer case fluid?

I just changed mine today and I only pulled out 1 quart, and put back in 1 quart of fluid from the dealer. The dealer also told me it shouldn't take more than a quart anyways.

I'm confused.
Dealer is clueless. Factory spec is 3.8 pts. (60.8 oz./1.9 qts.). Average used seems to be around 40-55 oz.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Garage
Idk why the dealer would tell me that 1 quart is more than enough.
Do you guys fill those cases up til it starts overflowing and then levels itself off?

I just wanna make sure I don't **** up that transfer case.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Sur Askdalotte
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Idk why the dealer would tell me that 1 quart is more than enough.
Not surprised. They often confuse the capacities between different t-cases (example - the NV140 takes about 23 oz.).

Quote:
Do you guys fill those cases up til it starts overflowing and then levels itself off?

I just wanna make sure I don't **** up that transfer case.
Fill level is 25-35mm (0.98-1.38 In.) below the bottom of the fill plug. You have to fashion a dipstick from a piece of rod, putting a 1.5" or so right-angle bend at the end. I made one and painted the end flat white, as on the rod piece I originally used (from coathanger) the oil would run right off it making it hard to measure the level.

I assume you drained the fluid while it was warm/hot, and let it drain 15-20 min.?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Garage
Not "hot" but I let it drain for about 15 minutes yes.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Garage
Looks like the dealer put limited slip additive in with the axle fluid.... Besides being inappropriate for our model, is it going to hurt anything staying in there or do I need to get them to replace it all?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Garage
If you have an FSM, please help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeSpeed View Post
Dealer is clueless. Factory spec is 3.8 pts. (60.8 oz./1.9 qts.). Average used seems to be around 40-55 oz.
Kicking the dead horse to revive it...so it can then be killed again, and kicked more....

I think I know why the dealer is clueless. Besides actually being clueless and inept, the confusion is also in writing...

Dealer gave me printout of something that is labeled:

2010 - WK - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 6.1L SRT HEMI V8

04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications

It proceeds to list out a table including sections for Cooling System, Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel, A/C, Plugs, Trans, T-Case, Chassis, Axles, etc. The table includes descriptions, part numbers, and capacities for a number of items.

In the T-Case section, all three t-case models are listed, however for the NV146 (6.1L engine only) row, it indeed lists 1.4 Pints as the fill capacity. This is roughly 1/3 of what everybody is filling to... I called Chrysler this AM and I'm awaiting an official response on the written discrepancy from their technical group. This must be what the dealer service technicians are following during service and when asked. The lady from Chrysler couldn't track down the answer herself based on the documentation in hand - no wonder there's confusion!

Does anybody out there have an up to date FSM, that calls out the NV146 fill capacity? If so, what's the page/section number, have a screen shot to post here, a pdf, or anything official on what the right answer is? Also, if this Quick Reference section is in there, confirm what it says, and if there's a more detailed description elsewhere in the FSM on the capacities, please post what you find.

I've been referencing the nice write up on wkjeeps and all the posting on this forum for technical information. In this case, it appears the Chrysler Quick Ref docs are wrong??!!

If you have an FSM that covers up through 2010, PLEASE post what you have on this. Thank you.

My Saturday NV146 and axle fluid changes appear to both be botched and I'd like references to walk into the service department with. Unfortunately, wkjeeps printout won't be treated as official...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diff fluid capacity, fluid capacities, transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.