MIL Indicator Flashing - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM

MIL Indicator Flashing

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or what the cause might have been if you did.

I was coming back from VA yesterday driving to NY and about 100 miles before home the MIL light comes on and starts flashing! I immediately freak out thinking something might be damaging going on with the engine as I am aware if this light flashes it's recommended to stop or pull over. It blinked for about a minute and then eventually just went out. The car definitely ran weird as it was blinking - went to go push the gas and it basically just bogged down or cut power.

I have it scheduled to take into the dealer tomorrow to see what happened. Hopefully it stored some code so they can diagnose it properly. Funny thing is that it never came back on and vehicle actually now feels like it's running better (throttle response, trans shift - don't know could be just my head but something happened).

Thankfully I haven't tuned the car yet - just ordered my Trinity today and looking to install the new tune later in the week. Hopefully get this issue addressed before I do that.

Let me know if I should be concerned or if others have experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Elite Contributing Member

misfires can cause that, had it happen once on my Jeep, not for that long though. Pull any plugs?
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM

No - didn't look at the plugs; wasn't sure what to do or what I should look for - any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Well, just got back from the dealer. They checked it out and no code was stored or pulled for the flashing MIL light. They checked the plugs and everything and said the car was running as it should. Really weird that light would come on and flash but not store or pull a code?!?

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dguth View Post
Well, just got back from the dealer. They checked it out and no code was stored or pulled for the flashing MIL light. They checked the plugs and everything and said the car was running as it should. Really weird that light would come on and flash but not store or pull a code?!?

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again...
Yeah... and having a video camcorder of some kind at a hands reach to record it.
That way you can show the dealership. Having proof it happened since the On-Board Diagnostics felt it wasn't necessary for storing the code(s) / problem that caused the misfire in the first place.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
A flashing check engine light is usually from a severe misfire, usually meaning its not burning fuel at all and you're gonna mess up a cat if not both
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM

How would I know if my cats might have been damaged from the misfire? Would the car run different or any symptoms I should be looking for or aware of?

Should I add any seafoam or lucas cleaner into the gas tank just for preventive measures?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
If in fact the cats are toast, your PCM will throw cat efficiency codes.

Easiest way to check it yourself is to let the car get to normal operating temp, then take a temp gun and point it at the exhaust pipe directly before the cat and the exhaust pipe directly after the cat ... I think it should be around a 100* difference if everything is working properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.