clunks, shake at 70+ that completely stops above 130 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM

clunks, shake at 70+ that completely stops above 130

Guys, I've searching the threads for months for my issue, I need expert opinion

To cut a long story short, my transfer case has been rebuilt by dealer because it leaked oil and dried out after they replaced the oil due to not tightening the bolts well.

after that the car clunks after stop/go traffic and prolonged driving journeys the car clunks before stop on downshifts and on R to D and back, it seems to come from the middle of drivetrain, it also appears at part throttle and sometimes there is a feeling that the transmission is slipping.

they replaced some parts and some not, the chain was not replaced, after reading on the site for a few months I discovered that the transfer case chain loosens up with use and cause clunks and has to be replaced, I think slipping might be caused by the loose chain. sarge had a thread about that I recall

Needless to say I have the infamous 75+ mph shake all the way up to 130mph. 130 up to 160mph there is ZERO shake and it is butter smooth. I don't know if it is rear driveshaft or transfer case but I slightly feel it in the steering wheel but it is much more severe at the footwell. Dealer has checked the suspension and it is fine. Does the transfer case totally deactivate after a certain speed?

I have ordered the transfer case chain and the front diff bushings in hope to remedy the shake and clunk. Do you have any other advise? I made the rear drive shaft my last resort due to it being expensive. I heard around 600 USD ?

07 with 30k hard egyptian miles

I hope someone helps me out, thanks alot guys
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

I had a similar issue and my dealer installed a new front axel pinion nose bushing as mine was torn and that fixed the issue. I still have the vibration @ 70mph though.

2012 JGCSRT: 22"Reps, 93oct Trinity canned tune, Borla S-type AB Exhaust, BWoody Long CAI, 5% Tint, Catch Can, Murdered Tails
2006 JCGSRT8 13.29@103.4: Johan Tuned, Stainless Works non-catted Headers, Corsa catback, K&N Cold Air Intake, Jet180*t-stat, Catch Can, 5%Tint, 275/315s, Murdered, 8000k HIDs in Lows & Fogs, 8000k 60Leds parking lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to drastik211 For This Useful Post:
Behairy (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks drastic, I figured it might be related.

Any other input from members regarding very high shake to 130?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Bump.......
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,012 Times in 831 Posts
I had a Vibration at 70 mph for almost 3 years and Tried many things including 2 brand new driveshafts and also a custom DOM steel driveshaft I had mad and that did not do it for me.... I also tried a few different sets of wheels and tires and many Alignments/ Road Force Balances. Lastly I had the Stealership relace the Lower control arms and that fixed my issue on my Rig. The bad thing is the vibration has come back after a few months now and for me it might be the tires as they are at 22 to 24k mile son them now...

Good luck and let me know what you find!

Check out this thread...

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=58923

Last edited by Knuckles; 11-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 AM

Knuckles, of course I've been reading your threads for months! The thing is I have that weird vibration at 70 to 80 which I think all WKs have,its not terrible, was much worse but had the dealer torque the front diff at 100 lb-ft ( to specs )and it removed 80-90 percent of it, its much more liveable now.

I also need to change the front axle isolator bushing, there's too much play and clunking underneath me, I don't know if the play caused by shot bushings might contribute to the vibration or not.

Here's the main thing I'm noticing, the vibration starts at 70 and COMPLETELY stops at 110-130 mph depending on the cars mood! Haha. Oh and btw its not really felt in the steering wheel after 80-85 mph, it feels like the whole car is slighlty shaking belowand its not that terrible.

that's why I excluded the control arms and leaning more towards the driveline ( loose transfer case chain, because of heavy clunks after long drives ) the shake and clunk is more evident when the car has been driven more than 20 mins ie when the drivetrain has warmed up, that's why I'm seriously thinking its transfer case related.

Will have the chain and axle bushings replaced soon will update you asa I do.
If not solved I'm considering the rear driveshaft next, but that's more expensive so will wait for now and see.

If you have any input Knuckles please let me know, we need expert opinion on this
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Bump .........................
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Have the tires you're running ever been off the wheels? I ask because mine only shook after I had the run flats remounted after winter. Other blizzacks are going back on this week and i will report back if it is done shaking. I think the mount-dismount of the run flats ruined them.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

are the moog bushings polyurethane? or just like oem? is there any moog part numbers?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM

oops disregaurd

Last edited by turbo_neon; 12-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.