One side of exhaust getting much hotter much faster than the other? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM

One side of exhaust getting much hotter much faster than the other?

Hey guys, I honestly haven't looked much into if there is a reason for this or not, but I bought my Jeep about a month ago now and have had it sitting in a ****** for the most part while I buff the paint and detail everything inside and out.

It drives fine, pulls hard, etc but I notice when I start it up the left tail pipe is putting out considerably more hot exhaust than the right. I happened to start it tonight and grab both exhaust pipes under the middle of the car. The exhaust pipes leading to the right side were only luke warm after 2-3 mins of running whereas the pipes leading to the left tail pipe burned my fingers right away.

Is this normal for any particular reason? Again, no check engine lights, pulls hard, idles smooth, etc.

Also, what's that noise the Jeep makes when you turn it off? Hope it's normal, but it's like a mechanism type noise below the Jeep when I turn it off. I hear it when I use the remote automatic start/turn off also.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Garage
Have no idea about the first part. But the noise is normal when you turn it off. Its the transfer case

BWoody 4", Intune, Muffler Delete, Jet 180, Catch can and De-Badged

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Could be a plugged exhaust from a broken cat. Is it only the temp that's different or is the amount of airflow from each pipe different too?
2008 GCSRT8 - Black - 22" Bonspeeds, CF Medic V1 hood, Paramount Stage II VB, Paramount Tranny Cooler, Toona Tuned, Bwoody 4", BT Catch Can, QTP Cutouts, Borla S, QA1s, End Links, Volt 4300k HID fogs, Stant 18# cap, 1 pc Upper Hose, NGK V-power plugs, WeatherTechs & Liquiddomes, Custom Stereo, Cryoed R1s/Stoptechs/ATE Super Blue, painted calipers.

Pending Install: Techco Supercharger
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Part 1:

If the airflow is even out of both pipes, I wouldn't worry.
Uneven airflow, then I'd guess you have a hole in your exhaust but after the muffler/reso if there is no sound difference.

It may even be trapped water in the reso which would work as a temp buffer, which is completely harmless.

Part 2:

Not sure why most people say that noise is normal, my dealer said it was bad. If I were you do this:

If you have warranty where the tc (transfer case) is covered, take it to the dealer and ask the service rep to call over the transmission guy (be persistent) to hear the noise. He'll freak out and strongly advise to get it fixed. For me, they ended up replacing my tc and rebuilt my transmission. Haven't had the noise since

If you don't have a warranty then don't worry about it. Enough people on here have the noise as well and it hasn't done any harm.

Last edited by blahson; 11-23-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. The air flow is the same on both pipes, probably just water or something with the cats. I'll probably throw on some kooks headers and a full exhaust, no cats by spring anyway. So it should open it up haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.