Shuddering when traction ON not OFF? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Shuddering when traction ON not OFF?

I need help diagnosing an issue I am experiencing. At part throttle and low RPM, there is a vibration/shuddering that lasts a few seconds until the RPMs increase a bit. After 4 trips to the dealer, they replaced one of the diff bushings which made about an 80% improvement. I've since taken it back and they are back to blaming my exhaust which has been completely replaced with aftermarket bits AFTER the noise originally began so I'm pretty confident it's not the exhaust.

I've read lots of posts about vibration with the traction control turned OFF so I decided to turn it OFF to see if the problem got better or worse and it seemed to all but go away which is opposite of what other people are experiencing. I was convinced that either the other front diff bushing was bad too or maybe the isolator on the diff but now I'm less convinced. Maybe a bad driveshaft caused by play in the bad bushing before it was replaced?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM

I am having similar issue, but mine does it no matter if the esp is on or off. I just had my transfer case glanced at by my mechanic and the tc fluid looks brand new. He took a tire circumference tool and measured all four wheels. Oddly enough all four wheels were slightly different in there circumference. He said he had a similar issue with a Ford explorer with AWD and it was a tire issue. Its critical that with AWD that all tires have similar circumferences. Otherwise, it may be the transfer case if it is not the tires for me.
Like you I have seen a lot of threads on these issues but no real answer. So if anybody has an answer to what is wrong for sure please let me know. EVerything I will try will be coming out of my pocket. So rebuilding the tc is my last resourt as it will cost about 2K.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Mine sounds like the driveshaft but I said screw it ill wait till something craps out.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM

After about 4 trips to the dealer, they now think it's the driveshaft and ordered one but said there is a national backorder. I've been waiting since the beginning of December and the current estimate is middle of February. Maybe lots of people are having this problem?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Shuddering when traction ON not OFF?

The sad part is it might not be the drive shaft and you would have waited all this time. The good thing is they can check that off the list an you have new parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm just glad I've gotten past the "it's you muffler, have a nice day" responses.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Major Contributing Member

Just curious if it's still under the drive train warranty?
mph..124.94
60ft..1.66
Single 76mm Demon Turbo Kit.
[/COLOR]DaToonA ain't Frikn around.....
http://youtu.be/f9FxOqs2Xx8
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM

They told me it was.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
How are your front tires compared to the rear tires in terms of wear?

Pretty even when front wear is compared to rear wear?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Very even. Set of tires only have about 3k on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.