Backup Camera Image Questions - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics

WK1 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics Use this section to discuss all topics related to car audio & video, UConnect, navigation & electronics.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Backup Camera Image Questions

I have an 07 equipped with the backup camera and I have two questions. I did a search in here but could not find and answer.

1. When in reverse, the image on the screen seems quiet distorted and rather hard to make out what is behind you, especially at night. I was wondering if that is normal?

2. Also I saw a video tonight on here (person said they had an 07) and when the video showed the backup image on the head unit, it had red and green grid lines displayed over the camera image. These lines are what I have seen on other types of vehicles as a backup/parking assist. My system does not show these red and green grid lines when in reverse and I was wondering if it should, or is that only in later years?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,191 Posts
I've got an 09 but daytime viewing is good/great. Night sucks. The WK2's have lines/grids not the WK1's at all unless someone added an aftermarket unit.

Jim
Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 AM

Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking he did not have and 07, but I was not sure if the 07's had the grid lines or not.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Turbo Powered
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to R0ck39
My 07 has never shown the green and red bulbs with the stock head unit or when I put in an aftermarket Pioneer unit. The only time I see those bulbs is when I look out the rearview mirror. Would be interested to see if anyone ever had those lights appear on their back up camera screen. As for picture quality I didn't find the picture that bad with the stock unit but the quality has definitely gone down with the stock camera hooked up to the Pioneer unit.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Has anyone tried pulling the rear camera out to replace with another? I found 170 degree hi-res camera with nite vision. It looks small enough to fit in the weather housing in the tailgate but I am not sure. www tadibrothers com/Catalog/BackupCameras/170-Bumper-Backup-Camera-Hi-Res.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary.srt8 View Post
Has anyone tried pulling the rear camera out to replace with another? I found 170 degree hi-res camera with nite vision. It looks small enough to fit in the weather housing in the tailgate but I am not sure. www tadibrothers com/Catalog/BackupCameras/170-Bumper-Backup-Camera-Hi-Res.
Night vision would be nice, in for info !
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
On my 07 I was pretty shocked at first how bad the resolution was day or night. I've had a lexus and an infiniti before the beast so my frame of reference was the backup cameras in those cars which were stellar. I think some of it depends on what you're used to...now the chrysler product doesn't bother me at all. I toyed with installing a diff camera and bought one off ebay but couldn't figure out the wiring. Don't have any scale lines on mine either.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.