WK2 How To - HID Fog Install - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Lighting Discussion

WK2 SRT8 Lighting Discussion This section is for the discussion of interior & exterior lighting.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Awesome, thanks Zac... appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPYOU View Post
Awesome, thanks Zac... appreciate it!
No problem. What do you have planned for the lights? Post pics when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks again Zac - http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=66558!

Bernie

2005 300C SRT8 - #72 of 252 (excl. 11 pilots) - #10 of 35 Canadian SRT8's built
2008 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fatboy - Vance & Hines Big Shots STGD with FuelPak tune.
2008 Jeep GC SRT8 - Custom Build/Custom Delivered by SRT - 1 of 1 in Canada
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Will do, KBCarstuff HID's and your DRL mod are going in first... 5k on the DRL's and 4300 on the HID's. Will absolutely post up pics as soon as I get these done (probably the weekend of 8/11-8/12).
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Are you looking into changing the OEM headlamp as well. Is it even possible to convert them to 6K.

I think your setup looks great... I just know I am OCD when matching the color temps of my lighting. I think I like 6K better but i just need to make sure the OEM headlight can be changed to match the aftermarket stuff... or i'll be going with the 5K range on LEDs and Fog HID.
Well, got bored today and ordered new headlights. Anyone change the factory bulbs before? What's involved? Just a simple unplug, twist bulb assembly out, put new bulb assembly in and plug back in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140735781840...=p5197.c0.m619

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 09-27-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Little update here:

The Bad:

I've used the DDM Tuning kits on my last two Jeeps without ever any issues. 4 kits in total. This was my 5th kit which I've installed from them. I ran into an issue with them and want to give a heads up. One night I noticed both fogs were not turning on, I checked my fuse first of all and sure enough it blew. It came with a 20amp fuse, I have always seen them come with 30amp fuses. I put a 30 amp in and they fired right up. I power cycled them a few times and they worked great. Drove around for like 30-45 minutes with them on and they still worked fine. I figure it was a fluke and just needed a 30 amp fuse.

Well, a few days later I noticed only my driver side was firing up and the passenger was blown. I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot the issue. I just got back from Vegas and had to fly out early the next morning for work. I had maybe an hour to troubleshoot the issue. I quick tore into the fender and found the culprit, some exposed wire leads near one of the connectors. I traced the wiring and pretty much an inch before my wire splice into the factory fog light harness up to the relay had melted together. Two sets of wires ran in that bundle. The signal wires from the factory fog light harness up to the relay to activate the relay, and the power and ground from the relay to the ballast. My best guess is a fault with the relay and the power/ground wires caused the melting. Just going by memory here. I'll be resolving the issue next week when I get home.

Just want to give a heads up that I don't recommend the DDM Tuning kits after my latest experience.

The Good:

Talked with Steve at Xenon Depot about the issue and a replacement kit. He explained to me why the issue may of occurred with the DDM kit. The DDM kit prices have dropped over time, so more than likely quality and materials have suffered as well. Also, it's probably more than likely the 6K bulbs I ordered were not really 6K, rather they probably just use 8K bulbs for all orders 6-8K to save money. I don't know, but sometimes I thought the color looked more like my 8Ks, but the projector fog light seems to change the color depending on viewing angle.

New Parts Ordered:

Anywho, I ordered all new parts and will be re-doing my install. I'm hoping to make it all plug and play this time around. I initially cut my stock H11 fog light connectors off to hook up my HIDs. I have new H11 connectors with pigtails to splice back onto the factory harness. This way if there is ever an issue I can easily swap my halogen bulbs back in. I have a harness coming that'll connect the stock H11 to the 9006 of the Xenon Depot relay harness. From there the rest of the kit is plug and play. I also found some nifty crimp and solder butt connectors to make the splice of the wires easier. They are basically crimp, shrink wrap, and solder for an all in one easy to use package.

So far, the Xenon Depot kit looks and feels of great quality. The ballast has the same mounting points so I should be able to reuse my brackets to mount the ballast to the Jeep Frame again. I'll end up mounting the relays next to the ballast. I ordered the Xtreme HID Kit with non Phillips bulbs at 5k. My best guess is the LED DRL bars are 5K, and I'm thinking I want the fog lights to better match them. I'll give the 5Ks a shot first, swapping bulbs is easy if I decide I don't like the 5K look.

Oh yeah, ordered some plastic rivets online for this time around, I was going to see if they work any better than the Harbor Freight plastic rivets.

I'll update my how to next week with the Xenon Depot kit.

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 11-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Double post...
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Some pics of the recent purchases for the new fog light HID install.

New H11 pigtail to replace the factory ones I cut off.

A crimp and solder kit I found that should ease splicing wires in the future

Some shots of the H11 (Blue) compared to the 9006 (Yellow)

H11 Top

H11 Right

Xenon Depot Kit

Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Ran into some issues the other day trying to install my new XenonDepots HID kit. The harness wasn't long enough to reach my mounting point on the drivers side. I was mounting all the components in the same area as my first install. Second issue was the ring connectors for the power are to small for the stud in the fuse box. I modified both my harnesses today to prepare for the install tomorrow. I swapped larger ring connectors on both harnesses for the positive, and added about 1.5' extra length onto my driver side harness. I wrapped up parts of the harness in wire loom that run through the engine bay. Tomorrows install should be fairly quick.

My modified driver side harness

The larger modified ring terminal (upper) compared to the supplied (lower)
Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Here is my new install with the XenonDepot kit. Pretty similar install to my last.

Driver Side. Wires are not zipped tied up neatly yet. I sanded off some paint to make a good ground connection. I used touchup paint afterwards to paint over the exposed bare metal.

Passenger Side. Wires are not zipped tied up neatly yet. There is a factory ground point that can be used.

Power connection made at the stud in the fuse box

I had to trim back some of the tab on the fuse cover so it could close without putting to much pressure on the wires.

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 11-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fog lights, hid, install, wk2 hid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.