Sea Foam How to: - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges

WK1 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges This section is for all discussions related to hand held tuners, CMR tuning, Dyno tuning, Data Logging & Gauges.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

...I Did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 PM

I never tried the brake booster. PVC line works well for our rigs. Just go slow and don't stick the line into the can. Hold the line in your right hand and with the seafoam can in your left, slowly pour little gulps into the line.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Any pics of where the PVC line is on our rigs?

-Giggiddy Giggidy, Giggidy Goo-
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I just seafoamed today. I used the brake booster line and it worked just as advertised. I must have had a clean engine, the only smoke I got was a little bit of trailing blue smoke at wot at 120 kph like I was driving the balls off of it. I had absolutely no oil in my intake manifold before I did this. Should be ready for Johan now.

11.79@113
2008 Jeep GCSRT8 Procharger D1 SHR Viking and FTI 3200 stall
R1 rotors and stop techs, reso-delete,
Electric exhaust cuts outs
Demonized and tuned by Datoona!!!!

Last edited by roadboy; 06-18-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM

PCV line is at the bottom left of the intake as you're looking at it head on. Can't miss it. Its marked "PCV" in white. I can't recall if you pull the line at that end or up top on the opposite end to get suction.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Maybe you guys/Johan could answer this...

Did this over the weekend to prep for a tune. Used the brake booster line initially, got about 2/6th of the can in there pouring very slowly and occasionally stopping if the motor was laboring too much. Hand slipped a little and just a touch too much went in, stalling the motor. Basically let it set for 15 minutes, it started right up, drove it hard. Didnt see much/any smoke.

Since the process was halted by the premature stall, I tried going through the PCV hose - same technique, just used a funnel and poured a bit at at time (very slowly like last time...didnt take much of anything to stall it). Did another 2/6th of a can, pouring a little faster at the end per Johan's instructions to stall, which it did.

Let it sit, started right up, smoked a little, and then during the drive smoked a lot.

My question is, being an obsessive individual, is this stalling harmful to our trucks. Its in Johan's method, but isn't it basically hydrolocking? Isn't the potential for damage to the motor greater than the benefit of just slowly pouring and shutting the motor down?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

From Sea Foam's Website:

Sea Foam is composed solely of three specially blended petroleum oils – each having specific functions such as lubricating, cleaning or moisture control. There are no other chemicals (not even color dyes) included in the formulation. Being of the same basic petroleum chemistry as the motor oils and gasoline you already use in your engine, Sea Foam is completely compatible with all engine components, fuels, lubricants and other additives you may have in your engine. Sea Foam will not damage gaskets or seals, and will not interact in a negative way with motor oil or fuel, or the additives used in them.

It's not like you are pouring water into the engine, rather oils. It shouldn't harm anything if done correctly.
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM

True, but im more worried about the stalling having an impact on the components (IE bending/damage). Verdict seems to be out on the web whether stalling w/ Seafoam causes the same amount of potential damage, and like I said, Im a neurotic sum*****.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about it. The engine is at an idle when it stalls, not going to harm anything. On the other hand, if you dumped a can in way too fast while red lining the engine then that could cause a problem. The latter would be not following the directions. Follow the directions and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.