Fog light housings melting from HID's - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Lighting Discussion

WK1 Lighting Discussion Use this area for all things related to interior/exterior lighting.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Garage
Mine is an 08. I've ordered the replacement housings. I let you know once I have installed them (with HID's) and if I get the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Garage
It's an 08. I've received and installed the new fog light housings with the same 6000k 35W HID's from Dash Z. Already starting to melt again just like the old ones. Only been running them 30-45 minutes at a time for a week or two. Irritated. See attached pic showing new one with area I marked in red that is starting to melt and old one that had been melting for months. I'm 100% sure they are installed correctly.

Any suggestions on another plug-n-play kit that would match my 6000k head lights? BTW, my headlight housings aren't melting and they are the same bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
new housing starting to melt.jpg   old fog light.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
From the looks of the pic it seems to be melting where the electrode is since it's only on one side . Check the bulb and make sure it's seat right and the wire/electrode isn't touching the housing . A 9145 bul will let a 9006/9005 bulb fitinto it and it look like it seated but they are a little different
07 SRT8 Silver Cam,PP heads&intake BT CC ,Borla S ,Eibach, Volant CAI Hid's all around Smooth and logoed moldings , Carbon Medic V2 ,Stillen's,Mopar Spoiler , TS led Rear fogs,Quad Projectors, 275/315 Dueller HP Sport ,Eibach's.Tuned By Diablo and CMR by OVERKILL, R1's StopTech's
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

do HID fog light bulbs need venting?

I bought glass fogs, b/c my factory style kept pooping out.... :-(

the glass look better, but I am getting a little water in them, that sits.

can I completely seal them with HID bulbs?
...or do they need some sort of venting to not over heat?

thanks...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid View Post
do HID fog light bulbs need venting?

I bought glass fogs, b/c my factory style kept pooping out.... :-(

the glass look better, but I am getting a little water in them, that sits.

can I completely seal them with HID bulbs?
...or do they need some sort of venting to not over heat?

thanks...
They shouldn't over heat. I think you would be ok to seal as HID's create less heat than halogens.

2009 Brilliant Black
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Elite Contributing Member

I've had HIDs in my fogs since '06 on my Charger, very similar housings in the Jeep, never had an issue with them melting in either car. I agree that the bulb may not be sitting correctly.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.