Are TSB's covered if you are out of warranty? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Rambit is correct. TSB's are only covered through the warranty period, and at the end of that they are considered your problem. TSB's are basically known problems that aren't of enough concern to warrant a recall by the NTSB. Basically, they say, we know its a problem and we're sorry your having it but its on your dime
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeepSRT View Post
That's pretty messed up. If it's a safety issue, why wouldn't they? Not every TSB is "maintenance" related.
I think you'll find anything safety related will come out in the form of a recall. TSB's are meant as a reference for the service techs as an approved corrective action to a frequent and common service complaint for vehicles still under warranty.

Bernie

2005 300C SRT8 - #72 of 252 (excl. 11 pilots) - #10 of 35 Canadian SRT8's built
2008 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fatboy - Vance & Hines Big Shots STGD with FuelPak tune.
2008 Jeep GC SRT8 - Custom Build/Custom Delivered by SRT - 1 of 1 in Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambit View Post
I think you'll find anything safety related will come out in the form of a recall. TSB's are meant as a reference for the service techs as an approved corrective action to a frequent and common service complaint for vehicles still under warranty.

Bernie
TSB's tend to be related to customer complaints of certain functions. Say, alot of customers complain that the rear wiper breaks when they run their vehicle through a carwash (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe) They release a TSB that the wiper hold down mechanism was to small and then they redesign the piece to be slightly larger and firmer, therefore holding the blade more securely. Another big one was the steering clunk in those same vehicles. This is what a TSB looks like;

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003N

Date: March 26 2008

Subject:
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add diagnostic information (refer to Diagnostic Tips) to check the lower steering column bearing as a potential source of the noise. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003M (Section 02-Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

^ The lower steering column bearing may create the same noise as the intermediate shaft. Before replacing the I-shaft, verify the noise isn't being caused by movement from the lower steering column bearing. Check the bearing for movement by pushing up and down on the I-shaft where it attaches to the steering column.

^ Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise - A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer - Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember Change Fastener Orientation).

^ Intermediate Shaft Clunk - Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Repaired free under warranty, your problem if not. I've replaced several of those. Its an easy repair, but it costs the customer about $180
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Banned

Kind of pointless, but whatever.

That's like the SRT Engineers coming out with a TSB for the rear driveshaft. The 2006s would be **** out of luck.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

TSBs are not covered after warranty, although many dealers will do them out of good will, and many of them are only like 20-40 minutes labor anyway. From door creaks, do awd driveline relearns on 06s.

My dealer was great they did all of them that applied for me during my last oil change at no charge
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornSpencer View Post
What about the peeling of the steering wheel? That was a TSB right?
Hi guys, I'm looking for a copy of the TSB.

This is the closest I can find. Any idea if it's the right one?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wh_2301808.pdf
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM

TSB's are not safety related, they are simply a manufactures guide for common problems and failures in certain areas. If it is a safety concern at all the manufacturer will issue a voluntary recall to correct the problem. And those are free to the consumer no matter the age or mileage. I am doing a windshield wiper pivot recall on an 88 Dakota on monday, and the customer is not coming out of pocket at all, on a 21 yr old vehicle with 200k on the clock.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Some of the recalls Chrysler has no say and have to do. They get the word from the highway/traffic association that they have to impliment a recall. I thinks thats what happened to ford with the whole firestone thing, they tried to deny a problem and were told to impliment a recall.

OzSrt that recall is for a WH, I'm guessing that if you live in the U.S. your driving a WK. But its for the leather wrapped trim around the instument cluster not the steering wheel. But if you have done some service at your local dealer the service manager might good will a steering wheel for you.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambit View Post

Bernie
So do you think we have a chance of getting the ESM "recalled" because it is a HUGE safety concern in my opinion when my car just dies in traffic like it has been doing lately.

Other Rides:
2007 997 Turbo...2009 CBR600RR

Past Rides:
2006 Corvette Z06............2011 WRX STi Wagon
2001 CBR600F4i................2010 335i (330rwhp)..
2010 Camaro SS...............2006 Lexus IS350......
2005 Saab 92x (280awhp)..2005 Corvette
2003 WRX (285awhp)........1986 Corvette
Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiSRT8 View Post
So do you think we have a chance of getting the ESM "recalled" because it is a HUGE safety concern in my opinion when my car just dies in traffic like it has been doing lately.
It's been 5 years for a few of the LX's doing the same thing and nothing yet. Don't know if it's ever been reported to the NTSB though and that's where it would probably originate from.

Bernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.