Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

eBay Catch Can?

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  atimatik 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Old member here, it's been a long time since I've posted, but have persiodically checked the site for info as needed! Still got my Beast, now with 43K miles on it, running strong as can be!

Anyway, I couldn't find info on this, so I'm posting here. I understand the importance of a catch can and want to get one. I don't care about brands, or really even looks (to a point) - form follow function you what I mean? With that said, I'm having trouble spending $100++ on what is basically a fancy, heavy, machined aluminum over flow bottle. With that said, would one of these cheap universal catch cans from ebay full fill the catch can requirement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-A...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac1a68701&vxp=mtr

If one of the more engine builder/tuner member guys like builder bill etc can reply that would be awesome.

Also, as I understand, the catch can would be in addition to the crankcase breather filter that I do already have that's on the 1/2" breather tube by the oil fill inlet cap correct?

#2 ·
One thing I have learned with my Custom Harley and my go fast cars is that, "you get what you paid for". I live by that!! I learned the hard way. You buy a high performance vehicle and want to put a $16 catch can on is not smart. Would you put 83 octane in your rig as well?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Yeah I 100% agree go with the BT catch can.

#5 ·
100% agree that BT is the way to go with a catch can. Search around here and the various LX forums, they is usually one or two floating around for sale. You can also follow Nick Billet on facebook, he periodically has some scratch n' dent or other items up for sale.

#6 ·
i bought this same catch can for my 95 ZJ. after a few weeks i checked for oil...nothing. so i pulled it off and stuck it on my SRT. after a month, nothing. put my BT catch can back on and in a couple weeks had a teaspoon of oil in there. This exact catch can you're looking at i still have on my 95, and i have YET to see any oil accumulate in it. I realize there's not alot of science or anything behind a catch can, so i see WHY you would want to look at cheap ones. BUT, just some info for you.

#7 · (Edited)
Right on, thanks guys, you talked me out of going the ebay route. And yes, didn't think there could be much science behind a catch can and why I was considering an ebay one, that is IF it did the same thing.

Also, how about the Moroso catch can, or can you guys let me know the brands that are proven for our rigs?

#8 ·
There are 6 posts worth of what brand to go with. Are you not seeing the other posts?

#9 ·
Buy a catch can from Billet Tech.

Comprar un billete de captura puede Tech.

Acheter un catch can partir de billettes Tech.

Koop 'n vangs van Billet Tech.

Köp en fångst kan från Billet Tech.

Купить вылов может от заготовки Tech.

يمكن شراء المصيد من تكنولوجيا الخام.

It doesn't matter the language...buy your catch can from billet tech.

#11 · (Edited)
Oh sh!t the forum police are out today, I better watch it and remember to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's"!

Interesting. I'm all for not skimping when it makes a difference, but I was curious on this item as it's not like it's a piston, cam shaft, or some other crucial part where tolerances, strength, materials, etc are critical. Honestly, do any of you think that this part needs to be machined out of aluminum? "But it looks trick"... Looking trick is fine, but I'm more concerned with "does it work better?" I don't like to let branding rule my world. NOW, with that said, if the part IS better (backed up by truth & math), then hey, it is better and I wont be the one to argue for a second! If you don't know, that's OK, but just don't say that it is because it costs you more and you have one. I know this is probably coming off rude and so I apologize for this to my fellow SRT8ers, I just wanted to keep it blunt for the sakes of, but not in attempt to be disrespectful in any way. From what I gather the BT catch can is the way to go, but I can't help but wonder if the ebay doesn't do the same thing or not. Right now I'm leaning towards the BT catch can as it's probably not worth the $80 savings to be a guinea pig unless other members can give some more insight on the subject.

Reactions: fredycruger
#12 ·
I have the eBay catchcan and it works like a charm! Always has oil in it.

Reactions: fredycruger
#14 ·
#15 ·
Actually.....come to think of it I bought mine from amazon not eBay. Sorry but they look pretty similar.

#16 ·
Bought mine from billet tech on ebay. Every once they have an auction for a catch can and I ended up getting for a very good price.

#18 · (Edited)
OP if you're looking to save some coin browse the for sale section for a catch can, they seem to come around.

I'd get the BT. Looks way better. I wanna be proud when I pop my hood open for others to see. A nice clean install. Plus, support our vendors who help keep this site running. Buy some good ole' made in 'Mercia BT products :bigthumb:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 · (Edited)
You don't want branding to "rule your world" but after your ebay can was a bust, you asked about the Moroso can..
As for the BT can, I've had one on 5 cars, never had a failure or had to think if it was working or not.
We all have told you about the ebay can, someone has brought up about when an ebay one was cut open, and we've all told you that we've never had an issue with the BT can.
So, no forum police being out tonight, it's that we've all been around here for years and know what does and doesn't work.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find a catch can that works at the price point you want to pay.

#24 ·
Update on the eBay catch can inquiry:

I figured they were so cheap (~$16 shipped) that I would order one just to see and also I figured that maybe I could modify it to make it so it could work on our application- and that's exactly what I did.

Now, out of the box as a simple bolt on... NO! I realized it needed some modifications and could be improved. For one the 90 degree fittings were poorly machined and on one of then the hole wasn't cut deep enough and flow would have been poor to nearly non existent. I drilled out and deburred the fittings to a much larger diameter so that these would be far less restrictive. I also could some burrs on the inside of the can itself that obviously could b bad if one got sucked into your engine. Off the 90 degree INLET I attached some fuel line so that the atomized air/oil had to travel down the tube 2/3rds of the way into the can and hopefully drop off any oil before letting the air travel out the other fitting. I attached the can using their angle mount bracket to the inside of the fender well directly in front of the coolant resovour tank (mounts solid, looks clean... Good!).

My first trip I drove over the Sierra Nevada mountains 300 miles from CA to NV. One I got to the other side I checked the tank thinking maybe I would see some oil residue on the drain bolt... Well, enough oil poored out of their to ruin a shop rag, so that's oil that would have been otherwise sucked into the intake track of the engine, so I can confirm that it is working.

Additional modification that I haven't heard anyone else talk about: I noticed that a LOT of air flow pumps out through the PCV valve through the tank and back into the intake track. That means that this air is being drawn in through the crankcase vent by the engine oil fill cap. I had one of those aftermarket vent breathers and after thinking about it, the warm air from the engine bay is being sucked through it then back out the PCV valve and then back into your engine to be burned. I figured why not give this a fresh air source so that the warmer engine bay air isn't spoiling your cold air intake mixture. So what I did was made a bracket to hold my crankcase breather filter (near the grill, in front of the radiator bolting to the radiator bracket). I even made a small shroud using jb weld and the bottom of an aluminum hair spray can to protect the crankcase breather filter from wet weather. All in all it looks really clean and sano and I think does its job as good or maybe even better than any other catch can "system" on the market!

If you guys want to see pics I may get around to doing that, just wasn't going to out that effort unless you guys cared enough to want to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.