Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2012 Jeep SRT8 or 2007 ML63 AMG

18K views 86 replies 30 participants last post by  jrweinberg 
#1 · (Edited)
First off, Mr. Moderator, please don't move this thread to the "other vehicle discussion" forum to die like you did with my "tempted by the fruit of another" thread.

I am looking for input from current WK2 owners (or soon to be, or perhaps have driven one) who also may have owned or driven recent models back to 2007 of the Mercedes ML63 AMG.

The reason is this, I am wondering about the pros and cons of each. I drove this ML today and it was a pretty sweet ride

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-Canadian-FULLYLOADED-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ332455551

The cost is $49,999 + GST + maybe 3-4 k for extended warranty.

I am wondering about things like vehicle reliability, cost of repair down the road, depreciation rate (e.g. how did the wk1's hold up?), drivability of vehicle, etc. I get the feeling from some posters in this forum that they likely have experience with both vehicles.

So any input you can provide is much appreciated. I am not sure I feel like waiting until spring for the Jeep, but if it makes much more sense to do so, I will do so (e.g. no one else will have driven vehicle already, cost to repair, etc).

Thanks

Derrick

See less See more
#3 ·
I know. But I am cruising around the mbworld forums and getting the crap scared out of me. Supposedly the msrp of replacing the AMG motor is 60k!!

But there is supposed to be a supercharger package for that vehicle. 0-60 under 4 seconds would be sweet.

I just don't know though. :( Wish the damn jeep was in already so not having these other thoughts.:boohoo:

#5 ·
Totally agree. If I only fit in the damn things, I would be into this one already

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-SRT8-Vortech-Supercharged-W0QQAdIdZ319853870

Unfortunately, due to quite a few years of weightlifting to build the top half, and 20 years of marriage to develop the bottom half, I now wear a size 50 suit, so I find I am just too squished in the WK1. The new WK2 fits much better, as did the ML.

#11 ·
Damn that Benz looks freaking sweet. Did not know they went for under 50k! Amazing.

I personally do not like second hand cars. For our shop I do not care, but for myself I really like something new, if possible with zero miles on it. I'm a bit paranoid.

With these german brands I would watch out for the repair costs (as you already mentioned) on used vehicles. So be sure to check out what the extended warranty is all about if you get that.

Maybe an interesting read if you already haven't come accross it, 2008 E63 AMG VS 2012 Charger SRT8:

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...vs-2008-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-comparison-test

Good luck!

#19 ·
Thanks very much for the link and the thoughts. These vehicles brand new are close to $100k, so that is beyond my rent district, unless I want to sleep in it (after my wife kicks me out of the house!), it is not on. But I too would like the chance to have a vehicle from new (have only had one in my life, all others bought 2 or 3 years old). Hence the WK2 order.

#13 · (Edited)
well I figure I should chime in here as my GF drives a 2011 Ml63 AMG .. yes, I know its not a 2007 but the comparison will be accurate. My first question would have to be, do you ever plan on modding the vehicle you buy ? I only ask because modding a domestic jeep is by far a lot easier, economic and fun ! - i just had a Renntech exhaust system installed on her Benz that ran just under 8G .. Did i mention that the stage 1 upgrade was over 6G ? ..... :( (all because she wanted to sound more like me )

Hands down the Benz has a nicer interior, softer ride, and better curb appeal ( to most non car enthusiast i might add ) But you cant beat the raw power of the jeep.. it makes weird noises, and loud grunts .. the breaks sqeek and interior trim rattles - but to me, these are all things I enjoy about driving a vehicle !

If price is more of a concern than I would highly suggest a Wk1 ( even if you had to buy a new seat ) - you can buy one heck of a beautiful custom bucket for 40K lol

#14 ·
I drove a friend's '06 ML 63 a few years back. It's a sweet truck....fast and luxurious. The major downsides are 1) you're buying yesterday's tech......an '07 in today's world is downright ancient, and 2) expensive repair and maintanance costs...I believe the M-class from that era had way below average reliability records.

Personally, as a general rule, the only vehicles I would consider buying that are more than 3-4 years old would be Japanese.

#15 ·
Anyone who would spend $30k on a 5 year old vehicle, then put $10-20k into it in mods, shows their true "brilliance."

Reactions: scyukon
#18 ·
Not sure I would spend 20k, but 10k is about average around here to purchase a supercharger and have it installed and that I might consider. The problem with putting one on a vehicle that still has warranty is that the dealers basically wave goodbye to your warranty, so why bother.

I don't have the type of money to be able to afford a 60k vehicle, and go without warranty out of the gate by putting a blower on it.

I have put a blower on the last 2 Denalis for my wife, but only because the dealer who installed them was willing to honor the GM warranty (and did, to their credit) if anything went wrong with the vehicle. I don't know of any Jeep dealers around here willing to do the same.

#17 · (Edited)
That is an option I have also been considering as of last night due to the warranty thing. It appears I could likely lease a 2009-2010 ML and have warranty for the term of the lease. May take a trip over to the dealer today to see what the numbers look like.

As mentioned in several helpful posts above, the cost of repairing anything without warranty is really about all that is giving me pause.

Thanks folks, please keep it coming, this is exactly the type of feedback that is helpful for me in making a decision. Much appreciated. :D

#24 ·
Congrats - that is a very hot unit you have there. The dealer selling the silver ML was telling me the same thing (that these motors are meant to be put to work, and can take it all and then some) but it means a lot more coming from someone who actually owns one and sees how it has performed in person.

#22 ·
Don't listen the 5 year old car for 50k BS , The built quality and finish will put any WK2 To shame Believe me , I recently traded my 05 S500 with 106k and it was as solid as day one , Besides the ML should be a Certified vehicle anyways . Why not spend 65-70k on a used X5 X6 //M ?

#23 ·
Thanks to real life experience with the Benz and BMWs such as yours, that is definitely on my radar now. Plan on doing some dealer visits later today, and after Christmas.

Thanks very much - and deep down I REALLY REALLY lust for a vehicle like yours that is sub 3 seconds 0-60. But low to mid 4's will do until I win the lotto on Friday. :D

#25 ·
I'd go with the Benz if you are happy with stock performance. You will bury yourself trying to mod one out, and say goodbye to any warranty you can get, meaning big big bucks if you have a problem.

#26 ·
My neighbor recently traded his 06 SRT Jeep for the identical AMG. I love most AMG models ands his is gorgeous in many ways, but lacks a certain beefiness, especially from the back. I dare say that it comes off as a bit off a 'chick' car. He says he always misses the meanness of the SRT when he see mine :)

#31 · (Edited)
cracks me up-- folks who own the WK1 knocking the build quality of the WK2

I won't tell you what to do. I drove a new ML, and a used AMG. Loved them. Owned 2 BMWs in the last 6 years (one a 745Li, and my current 11 second 335Xi-love them) 3 srts (including the current WK2), the 09 CTS-V- obviously loved them all and am a car nut.

The thing that got me most interested in the SRT jeep for 2012 was actually my 2011 Jeep GC overland- the new platform (the ML platform).

The build quality, interior richness, ride, handling- are what all the experts are saying they are and why it has won so many awards. Torsional rigidity and all the stuff that makes German Cars so desirable- this car has it.

They just took all that and put the SRT version together. So I trusted it (had driven the new overland, and the old WK1- but had to trust the merging of the two into the WK2).

After 5000 miles- including all weather conditions and the track, and hitting every curvy road I can find, I AM SO GLAD I DID. I had considered the ML AMG, a BMW X5M- but for the money I spent, I could not be happier with my 2012SRT Jeep. Great ride, superb performance handling, acceleration, mind blowing brakes, lush interior, world class sound system, technology- the whole package. It compares to the same "high" i used to get from my 09 CTS-V.

There is a VERY good chance Mopar will have a supercharger for it in 2013 if not sooner (aftermarket)

It will not dissapoint- its the real deal.

#37 ·
Thanks very much. :D I had a sense from lurking since August that a lot of folks on this forum had experience with these other vehicles. So I assume that Mopar supercharger would not void warranty if installed by dealer.

This is not going to be an easy decision.

#41 · (Edited)
Informative day and a frustrating day. Went to a Mercedes dealer and a Jeep dealer, and also heard from my dealer. In order

Drove another 07ML AMG, this one black. Had more bells and whistles than yesterday's version (DVD's in headrest, and backup camera) but was black (not my fav, vs Silver yesterday) and did not have snow tires (required up here with that type of hp).

All in with a 2 year bumper to bumper extended warranty, and third year powertrain, was around 56k plus 5% tax. So around 58k. Something to work from.

Went to dealer with only two SRT8's in town. Played dumb like I did not know they were asking 82.9k (and 75k for a US version, with no warranty!). They would not even let me drive it, as they did not want to mile it up. Got to listen to it and sit in it. When Sales Manager told me the price, and that bottom line was 80k, I told him there was no way I would pay 80k for a Jeep, and that I doubted anyone would. He is confident they will, so good luck to him.

He also alerted me that there will be (in his opinion), no more Jeep SRT8s in Western Canada for at least 4 months. I told him I doubted that, but I am no longer certain, especially given the message my dealership sent to me today when I called to inquire about VIN status. Check this nonsense message out:

Hey Derrick,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I completely forgot to send you the VON after the last time we spoke. The VON is 25632935. I just finished speaking with my Dad and I guess Chrysler is trying to keep production of these to an absolute minimum and not flood the market with them like they did the previous ones. They are trying to maintain the resale value which will benefit you in the long run. Unfortunately that means that we are stuck waiting. He did mention that you are now second in line to receive yours from our store. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we some progress right away for you.

I feel like such a sucker for giving them $1000 back in August when they knew these vehicles would take forever to come in!:mad:

At any rate, if anyone has any magic tricks to find out a VIN from a VON, please share then with me. Chrysler Canada was no help. The dealer referred me to them, and they referred me back to the dealer. Friggin joke.

Off to the BMW dealer tomorrow......Good luck me!

#46 · (Edited)
Yes please, send it along in a PM. :)

Thanks

D

edit. :( Sold already. When I watched this video I got the SRT8 fever all over again. I think I was ready to go 65k for this one (video on main page)

http://www.kelownachrysler.com/

I talked with the gent on page, Peter Irvine, and he explained to me just how few of these are actually being built for Canadian dealers. I could have misheard, but it was either 6 per month, or ??? and with over 400 Canadian dealers, gonna be a huge wait methinks! EBAY?????

#49 ·
Considering the stock WK2 and WK1 are pretty much identical in speed, the ML63 AMG would be the way to go if you could get one in the 50s. They are faster than the Jeep past the 1/4 mile tick, not quite as much grunt off the line but they fly right by after 100mph.

Aftermarket warranties are cheap, get one, you wont have to worry about replacement costs. The 3/36 runs out on any chrysler product anyways after 2 years of normal driving, and the service is CRAP, but thats chrysler for you. Also, you're going to lose $30,000 in depreciation off the Chrysler in 3 years when you go to trade it in, you won't lose that much off the ML63.

#50 · (Edited)
As this busy day of research draws to a close (and once again thanks to EVERYONE who has weighed in - you will never know how much you have informed my thinking with your experiences) I am reaching the following conclusions:

1. I am not going to get my Jeep until spring or summer.
2. I really would like one, but now I am pissed on principle at what Jeep is doing, limiting production to Canada.
3. This principle annoyance is starting to dominate my thinking.
4. There are cheaper alternatives that I will likely be very happy with (read the silver AMG).

I got the info from the dealer re extended warranties today. It is not a benz dealer, but an independent shop specialing in high end bmws and benzs. They recomend using this company:

http://www.coasttocoast.ca/Mechanical-Breakdown-Protection.asp

The note from the business manager gave me this pricing:

Hello Derrick,
As discussed, below are 3 extended protection options.
Refer to the Optima New plan of the attached chart.
1. 24 months/unlimited kms, $2,988 + gst.
2. 36 months/60,000 kms on top of current kms, $3,337 + gst.
3. 48 months/80,000 kms on top of current kms, $3,948 + gst.
All plans include zero deductible and a $5,000 per claim limit. If the claim is over $5,000, I can .......
Also, these plans can be honored at any certified service facility of your choice, anywhere in North America.
For further questions, don't hesitate to give me a call.

I think I will go for the 48 month/80000km option for $4g.

RE pricing, they are asking 49,999 + GST. My wholesale and resale research for Alberta indicates an average wholesale price of 40,400, and and average retail of 44,750. I think I am going to offer them 46,000, plus the chance for financing (if they can beat my banks rate), and then the 4 year warranty for another 4k, and I am into a hot unit for 50k if all works out, with plenty of warranty.

Good job Jeep. I have been working for 21 years, have 13 left to work before retirement, and will make about 3 times more in the next 13 peak earning years (God willing) than I will have in the first 21. Way to piss off the folks who would have happily forked over 60k+.

Sorry for the whining (I would like some cheese with that whine please), but it has been a long day, and as I am a wee bit OCD, this is not gonna stop until I get some new wheels ASAP. Vacations are a dangerous thing for me, last summer I ended up buying 2 newer vehicles (well only 1 was ever builit :(), so spare time is not good for my disposable income!

Night all, will update tomorrow.

And thanks for the help.

D

#54 ·
The saga is over, the AMG deal is done, going to pick it up this afternoon. Ended up getting it for 48500, plus 3000 for warranty instead of 4. So missed my goal of 50000 allin but 51500 all in is something I can live with.

Have contacted my jeep dealer as well about getting my deposit back. They better now be jackasses about it, especially since I had written into my contract that the deal was off if no jeep by March 2012.

BIG THANKS once again to everyone who weighed in, and assisted me with info in making this decision. I shall continue to lurk and lust after your new WK2's (and the old WK1's too).

Merry Christmas all! Mine is now too!

D

#56 ·
Back in August, when I put my money down, for some reason, my spidey sense was tinging.

So I made the dealer put a clause into my order that if I did not have a vehicle by March 2012, I would get my deposit back.

Given that the local dealers have alerted me that either 7 per month (may be week) are destined for Canadian dealers, and we have 400+ plus dealers, and I am 2nd in line at my dealer, I am not getting my jeep any time soon (and now it is never).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.