Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Repalcement Tire Recommendations ? Non Run Flat

23K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  stonesy 
#1 ·
21000 Miles and dealer recommends new tires

Do not want run flats as our SRT8's come with a spare - Didn't like them on my past BMW's and feeling the same about them on the Jeep

I see some have gone to a 305 width - Any issues with this ?

Open for suggestions

thanks

#7 ·
Ditto. Having the Yokahama Parada Specs installed later today after 23,000 on the Pirellis.

I love the Pirellis, but just cant justify the price of the runflats when there is a spare. The Paradas get rave reviews. Will let you know what I think...

#10 · (Edited)
21000 Miles and dealer recommends new tires...
Wow; 21k miles -- did you have 3-season P-Zero OEM's? I'm @ 6k miles and starting to see the horizontal wear-markers in the large treads. I looked on TireRack.com; only see the original equipment tires @ $2k; nil other non-OEM options listed under the 12_GC_SRT8. I love the OEM P-Zero tires and like the fact they are "run-flat", as I don't want to mess with an inflatable spare, but expected 15-20k out of them.

#14 ·
Replaced all my OEM Verdes at 21k miles. Half of those miles were long highway trips. 4 new Verdes shipped, mounted, and balanced for $1,400.

The OEM 3 seasons should be good for like 15k miles. The Verdes like 30k.

I looked at other options and sizes for the factory wheel. I liked the OEMs and stuck with them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
They were the Pirelli Verde all seasons not the 3 seasons

Replaced with Hankook Ventus ST (non run flat) - I have tow package so it comes with full size spare

Ride is much improved and no offset in handling noticed - Discount tire two days to my door from order $171 per tire

Have had runflats on 3 BMW's and am not a fan

#17 ·
They were the Pirelli Verde all seasons not the 3 seasons

Replaced with Hankook Ventus ST (non run flat) - I have tow package so it comes with full size spare

Ride is much improved and no offset in handling noticed - Discount tire two days to my door from order $171 per tire

Have had runflats on 3 BMW's and am not a fan
I have the tow package and do not have a full size spare?

#18 ·
I swear we all have the same spare regardless of factory tow option or not. The same black steel wheel with a temp tire on it. Full size meaning its the same diameter, not a little donut spare. I think sum guys may be thinking its a OEM wheel and 295 tire on it. That wouldn't fit in the cubby, plus the price for that option would be like $1500. The whole tow package is like $1000 or something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: rconner
#19 ·
Spent a few hours this morning researching non-run flat tires for my 2012 SRT8. I think I'll go with the Toyo Proxes STIIs in the stock 295/45 size.

I made an Excel file with 10 options I was looking at showing all the details. I've uploaded it to my Google acct and made it available for downloading. I may add more later but for now I think I feel pretty good about the Toyos. Here's the link to the Excel file.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-16Ol4h8eEVZFZMVDFETXo2Xzg/edit

I would like to hear about (and see) any alternative sizes others are using. I briefly considered 305 and 315 widths. But without actually seeing what they look like on the wheel I'm going to play it safe with the 295s.

Jake

P.S. First post.

#20 ·
Thanks for the file; other than price; what's more compelling about the Toyo's vs. Yoko's?

#26 · (Edited)
No end thread, tire not made in our sizes from what I can tell.

I too just installed the Yoko Parada X, in fact I had them put on last night. I got about 20K from the stocker all seasons. I'll report on how I like them. The first thing I noticed was the aggressive tread pattern, I like it.

#33 ·
So back to our original choices since Demon reminded Rez we are in the WK2 fourm ;)

I'll report back on the Yokos. I'm not worried about the non-runflat since our spare fits rather nicely....I know, I had to use it.

Speaking of which, has anyone run the runflats while flat? I had a huge bolt in mine and it went totally flat. I saw it sitting on the garage floor and it looked almost flat, I couldn't imagine running that thing the way it sat. [shrugs]

#34 ·
I've only had the Yoko's for a week, but can definitely say they are better than the OEM Pirelli 3-season pZero's (that were quoted @ almost 3x the price of the Yoko's and lasted only 8k miles -- insanity).

My GC_SRT8 w/OEM pZero's always seemed to "chase minor pavement-ruts"; it also felt like I was driving on sand when on roads with "tar-filled cracks" (that I drive on daily). I thought this was just an issue with the "so-called vague GC steering vs. the German suv's I was used to" -- yet the Yoko's ended this. The GC_SRT8 feels more planted, the steering feels heavier, more defined and tracks more consistently.

Also; I have a steep driveway that I have to hit at an angle to not rub; I would get some wheel spin 40% of the time with the OEM's; none with the Yoko's, yet.

No vibrations; seem just as good in corners, off the line and stopping. BTW: The installer said that "they were on of the roundest tires he has balanced".
:cheers:

#35 · (Edited)
I'll give my initial impression of the Yoko Parada Spec X. I've had them on for about 3 weeks now.

Looks. Tread pattern is way more aggressive than the Pirellis, it also looks as if there are holes to insert studs for the winter if you want. I like the look and I would say that they look like they will be able to handle wet and snow better.

Ride. Ride is much improved over the Pirelli run flats, but that is to be expected with the softer side walls. Still a "firm" ride, but less firm. I like the change. I also noticed a lot of "tramlining" with the Pirellis when they got worn down, but again this is a common problem on run flats. High speed jostling has been eliminated on rougher roads, feels more planted.

Noise. These are quiet as a church mouse currently.

Handling. Ok, the real test. The first 100 miles the tires were slick, real slick. As they wear in though, they are getting much improved. The tires now feel solid in turn in and harder cornering. I will say though that there is more roll in cornering (again expected with the softer sidewalls) but the tires seem to stay planted. I have not yet really pushed them in cornering, but initial feel is that they do not give you as much confidence as the run flats did. However, again, they seem to stick just as well with no increased understeer. I will push them harder and report back. Dry traction is excellent, as is wet traction.

So, final assessment is that I think the Pirelli run flats give you more driving confidence with less body roll to the Jeep, but the Yokos do seem to hold corners just as well. The more I drive on them, the more I like them and the more confidence I get in them. For less than half the price, this is a no brainer to me. Get the Yoko. Yes, they are not as highly speed rated as the Pirelli, so if you are going to be doing over 150mph, stay with the Pirelli. Me, living in Pennsylvania I'll never get over 110 or so.....if I'm lucky so the 149mph rating is not an issue.

Rating. Buy, especially if money is a consideration.

#36 ·
Well guys after being in an emergency situation needing new tires I decided to take the plunge and go for some Toyo Proxies STII. I would have liked going for the KDWs but I needed tires and no one could get them in until the end of the week or so. I am getting my front two on today because those are the damaged tires, and then my rears will be here on monday. I will keep you all updates on how they ride....

#39 ·
has everyone completely ruled out the vreds? i thought they were the tire of choice on the wk1, thought that would translate into the wk2

#41 ·
I'm sure tirerack.com will be able to tell you; if its not published on their site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.