Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Forward diff. Wavetrac and ring and pinion gears

9K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  Curt S 
#1 ·
Hey Guy's, As we now have a front Wavetrac that will soon be available I have some questions that I would like some insight on.

1: How much do you think this will help my torque steer issue? While my springs and links helped minimize it it is still very much present. I feel its back even more with the sudden power increase from the Procharger.

2: Some of you guys have had some incredible 60' times with just drag radials and also with radials and a LSD. How much more do you feel that a front LSD would have improved your already stellar 60'?

Im also thinking about swapping my gears out. I drive at 70 mph a lot as Im on the highway quite a bit. Actually more like 75 as the speed limit is 70. Im wanting to raise my gearing to lower my highway RPM's to. I would love to be able to cruise at 80 and be below 2500 RPM's rather than 3000+.

3: Does anyone have a gearing/RPM calculator that would work for our rigs I can base a gear choice off of?

Thanks in advance guy's, and thanks Chris and Skip for doing what you guys have done to make this happen for us!

See less See more
#40 ·
We shall see how the Jeep likes the 3.07 gears on a 550+ hp rig as I will be doing them as soon as they become available!

Reactions: junior666
#41 ·
How much do gears usually cost?

#44 · (Edited)
Thanks for the order today Anthony, your rear end should be done and hopefully shipped back out to you by the end of the week. In shipment I should say...

Back to the last few posts...

Stangslayer, ring and pinions cost anywhere from 175-650 a set, mustangs, sure 175 depending on the housings, but have you seen the pricing for the Lc/Lx? They go for 600-650(Richmond Gear). These sets that we're working on will be close to that per set with 2 completely different sets needed per vehicle. Manufacturing cost and tooling cost on these units isn't cheap by any means, try almost 50k in tooling costs combined for front and rear sets, 25k~ or so each...these haven't been done, they aren't just your off the shelf rings and pinions, we've messed with a ton of combos just to try it out and see what we can come up with to no avail. On top of all that, we have to get a minimum of 200 units made of each to make it happen, trust me when I say this, we've asked for 100 of each or even 50 each but not a single manufacturer will entertain that.

#47 ·
ok now to reopen the can of worms,,
Chris
Skip
the both of you equall advice,
So for my hero .62 (1km) races im nearly out of gear now,, i reached 154.5 mph and as i understand it ill be out if ratio at 173mph,, he he he well with the 419 going in soon i beleive ill be needing 3.55 to crack my 300kph barrier, im sure ill do it with 1000rwhp,
but maybe 3.2 for the best of all worlds.

I NEED TO BLITZ THE PLANS OF COMPETITORS NEXT YEAR,, i heard willal racing will be bringing out there 1000hp r35gtr next year, this year their 800hp JUUST beat my 870hp jeep by .8 second,, i really wanna take out the event,, in a big way i dont care if i have to take out a loan,,,
MY PLAN ,, 1200 engine hp..
3.2 gears,, should see my 300kph easy!!!!

any advice ?? oh yeah,, i forgot ,, im crazy i know but speed is addictive and the jeep flys as straight as an arrow even when a front wheel pops off the ground at 200kp plus
hahahahahaha weird sensation,,

#48 ·
ok now to reopen the can of worms,,

I NEED TO BLITZ THE PLANS OF COMPETITORS NEXT YEAR,, i heard willal racing will be bringing out there 1000hp r35gtr next year, this year their 800hp JUUST beat my 870hp jeep by .8 second,, i really wanna take out the event,, in a big way i dont care if i have to take out a loan,,,
MY PLAN ,, 1200 engine hp..
3.2 gears,, should see my 300kph easy!!!!
Haha! Fark Willall Racing bro... Stick it right up 'em!

Ill definitely bring my completed thing down too. Summernats first in January tho..

Cheers, Rhys

#49 ·
Yeah man,, look not so much willal.. they are just a shop.. Its more the customers are giving me some shit,, ofcoarse of FACEBOOK.. i cant beleive they are comparing me to them ,, were suv's they are supercars lol.. its flattering we got em worried!!!
Bro when you down sydney way drop me a line

#50 ·
I hope a solution comes up soon. I fear without a gear change i will be wandering back to the import cars again. Except it will be a gtr. Having to do 60 mph to get decent mpg is just futile. I dont like it, the jeep doesnt like it. My fun is on back mounttain roads with 70-80 mph turns. The jeep loves it. Gas guzzling to be expected and its fun. Now drivin to work at 70mph just cruising and the mpg is the same as lasts nights rompings. Not so much fun.

Still contemplating keeping the jeep and buy the r35. But i don think the jeep would get used anymore.

Please we need gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.