Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Alpine INE-Z928HD

5K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  meeper 
#1 ·
So, has anyone on The Forum installed one of these as yet? If you have and would be prepare to share any photos or tips, it would be great.

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately you're going to be waiting a long time!

I actually went and bought one and had it here for two weeks, solely for the purposes of having it in hand so that I could take a whole series of trial dimensions, plus do the touchy feely deal.

Having it right close by gave me the opportunity to actually do some sight line fitting as having just a bunch of dimensions on a piece of paper just isn't the same.

After taking every conceivable dimension, and exploring every possible change I would have to make, I decided against pursuing the install any further.

There are two main issues to consider;

-the actual pocket available for the H/U to fit into. In the WK1s there is lots of width and depth, but the height just isn't there. I would have to cut much of the inner superstructure of the dash out, most specifically the section above the radio area. I'm just not prepared to cut all that out as it will weaken the under-dash area.

-the INE-Z928HD is not symmetrical in the front plate section relative to the chassis, in that there is more of the actual display hanging below the chassis than above. This means that the whole dash accessory control module would have to be moved down by at least 1/2", minimum, 3/4" being better. Unfortunately there's nowhere to go with that module, so this brought the whole episode to a halt!

And this really cheeses me off because I wanted to go with the 8" display.

Now, where does your '13 stand, I'm not sure. You will have to pull the MyGig out to get a feel for what space you have to play with.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what's inside, but below the radio there is a blank space, which I assume was in case their 8.4 display would find it's way into a Jeep.

Alpine just released at 7" version that might be a better fit for both of us.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w927hd/

I called Al & Ed who install lots of thses and puts videos on YouTube, and they didn't think the 8" would fit in mine. They suggested the new 7" that I linked above.

But, like you, I really want the 8".

~Jay

#5 · (Edited)
I too have been thinking about the 927 Series but my buddy the Alpine rep says it is apparently still some time off, however with CES happening right now there may be more clarity to the "real" shelf arrival date.

But all that being said, I'm not too sure if it's worth the money for everything; the 927 itself, the integration module, steering wheel controls, and the like, all for the gain of a 1/2" in display size, over what the MyGig offers.

#7 ·
Somehow Al & Eds already has one and installed it, before it was even on the Alpine site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQcICkbRo5I

~Jay
I see that, so I am somewhat taken aback!

Course living here in Canada, we always see the newest stuff last. I'm in Southern California later this month so I may have to stop by an Al & Ed's and see what I can see.

#9 ·
Actually, you're not quite on track with that statement, UNLESS you have a pre-08 WK1. If you have an '07 or earlier, you will have a far larger 'pocket' in the dash such that it allows for the REC Nav-equipped radio, plus the control module is mounted lower in the dash, in relative terms. So this would allow for all sorts of room to manoeuver the INE-928HD around. The REC chassis is 5 1/4" tall, while the INE is only 3 7/8 " tall.

This also applies to the bezel itself, in that it is huge so it can accommodate the REC faceplate, which is far larger than the INE-Z928HD's faceplate.

In the case of the '08-10s, there is a very tight slide-in section that the MyGig fits into, and very tightly as well. So that is where the premise comes in as far as having to cut out much of the dash's interior structure. The MyGig is 3 1/2" tall and as noted above, the INE is 3 7/8", meaning the fitment isn't there.

#10 · (Edited)
ok, i havent already installed one i guess, double din is double din, if you actually check on the chassis size and not the face size, the 8" is the same exact size as a normal double din radio, all you need to do is trim the dash opening... no matter what year the vehicle is you need the aftermarket double din radio install kit to start with cut dash to fit larger face

i havent installed a ipad in a grand cherokee dash either :rolleyes:

#11 ·
ok, i havent already installed one i guess, double din is double din, if you actually check on the chassis size and not the face size, the 8" is the same exact size as a normal double din radio, all you need to do is trim the dash opening... no matter what year the vehicle is you need the aftermarket double din radio install kit to start with cut dash to fit larger face

i havent installed a ipad in a grand cherokee dash either :rolleyes:
I think that you need to step back and take a look at what you've written above, relative to double DIN, then take a look at what I wrote in my last post.

Double DIN is always in the 4" x 7"(nominal) configuration so where are you getting the fact of using a Double DIN installation kit as being the solution?

As I noted previously, the '08-'10 uses the MyGig, and the MyGig chassis(NOT face plate, but chassis) is a 3 1/2" x 7 1/8", and it fits very tight, on the top-to-bottom dimension, so that sets the max height, unless you want to start cutting into the dash superstructure, which is not a good idea. But more importantly, it means that the existing installation, that being the MyGig, is not a Double Din configuration, but is smaller on the top-to-bottom dimension.

Moving along, the Alpine INE-Z928HD has a chassis size of 3 3/8" x 7", making it essentially a Double Din configuration, which won't fit into the existing MyGig space, nothing more complicated than that.

And this isn't even tackling the face plate issue, but given the chassis deal, this becomes a moot point.

But, and this is the big one, if you have a pre-'08, then installing an INE-Z928HD is no big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.