Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Jeep Wrangler People, Step On In

7K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  BullsF6512 
#1 ·
Alright ladies and gentleman, I am tossing around the idea of purchasing a JK wrangler for my daily driver once the jeep is sold. I am not extremely familiar with all the different trims or models, and was wondering if you more educated members would help me out. I want a 4-door model with some type of trail rated package meaning I want big tires, preferably some sort of lift etc. It appears as though there are several different trims that can accompany this (Rubicon, Sahara, Wrangler Unlimited etc.) but to be honest I don't know the difference between any of them. I also require my potential wrangler to have the mygig with navigation.

And before someone says it, yes I know this is a Cherokee SRT8 forum but we are allowed to cross pollinate and divulge information in regards to other models :p

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
PM Keoni .

#4 · (Edited)
Hey John!
I'm addicted to wranglers, every time I sell one I want another, I'm on my 4th now, see pic below. They are hands down the funnest vehicle for the money IMO, they are like nothing else, and cheap to mod!!

First off the 2 door is just a wrangler, and the 4 door version is the wrangler unlimited.
of the 4 door unlimited, the trims are Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon.

The way I look at it, the sport is the base, the sahara is the luxe and the rubicon is the offroad - from the factory.

They all have the same engine now, they used to have a 4 cyl and 6 cyl but they are all 6 now. They are all trail rated, and all very capable off road especially with a lift/tires

The sahara and rubicon come with nicer, larger wheels, rubi has larger tires, sahara has body color fenders etc. But if I were you, just looking for a DD with a lift and bigger wheels/tires, I would get the sport - save the money over the rubicon, and do it up the way you want. The rubicon has locking diff's, upgraded axels, etc but you wont need any of that for daily driving so why pay for it. you can get the look you want, cheaper with the sport without giving up anything you would want.

Here's the one I'm in currently

#5 ·
Matt, thank you very much for the information, that really helps. Like you said, I don't know how much time I will be having to go off-roading etc. so maybe just going with the Sport version and upgrading the items I want is the way to go. Sweet looking Wrangler you've got there for sure!

#8 · (Edited)
I'm going through the same process, trying make room so i can keep the SRT but may have to part with it. Here's the wrangler I'm looking at...its built to the Moab specs...

Cant go wrong with the limited editions, but the new 2013 MOAB edition is perfect for a DD and trail runner if you want to offroad occasionally, its got everything...Get the new 3.7 gear ratio if you plan on running 33-35" tires, anything over that and you will need to go at least 4.10's...with the new 3.6 Pentastar.

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm going through the same process, trying make room so i can keep the SRT but may have to part with it. Here's the wrangler I'm looking at...its built to the Moab specs...

Cant go wrong with the limited editions, but the new 2013 MOAB edition is perfect for a DD and trail runner if you want to offroad occasionally, its got everything...Get the new 3.7 gear ratio if you plan on running 33-35" tires, anything over that and you will need to go at least 4.10's...with the new 3.6 Pentastar.
Damn that is a very nice looking beast there. I will definitely take a look into the MOAB editions as well. Thanks for the info!

If you want to do lift and tires and do mild offroading 100%, buy the Rubicon...

This is what you will get with the Rubicon over the Sport and Sahara...

4.10 grears
4:1 Transfer Case
Front/Rear Dana44 Axles
Front/Rear E-Lockers
Electronic front sway bar disconnect
Mud Tires
Rock sliders

The options you can get with the JK is very long.

I would recomend getting the dual tops (Hard/Soft) You can also get the hardtop painted as an option.

Nav., Speakers, etc., etc, The list goes on...

My local dealer has started offering the "AEV" packages for their customers...look into this as well...You can buy a turn key badass Jeep with full warranty and finance everything.

AEV= American Expedition Vehicles

The most important thing....BUY the 6spd. tranny....You don't want an automatic Wrangler!!!!!!!!!!

Also, The new Billet Silver paint new for this year is sick!
This is an AEV Jeep for sale at my local dealer...$60k...New silver color...

Can you build one yourself for cheaper? Yes, you can, But if you buy this you can finance your mods.

OR, Buy a nice used one for mid to low $30's
As much as I would love a brand new one, I am trying to put some of the money away from selling my jeep and putting it towards grad school. So I am planning on buying a slightly used Wrangler preferably less than 40K. Those AEV conversion kits are incredibly nice but very costly. I absolutely love the work you have done to yours and am looking to do something similar if I get into one. Your tires are ridiculously big though haha! What is the avg gas mileage like on the 4dr wranglers? Are you running premium fuel?

#9 · (Edited)
If you want to do lift and tires and do mild offroading 100%, buy the Rubicon...

This is what you will get with the Rubicon over the Sport and Sahara...

4.10 grears
4:1 Transfer Case
Front/Rear Dana44 Axles
Front/Rear E-Lockers
Electronic front sway bar disconnect
Mud Tires
Rock sliders

The options you can get with the JK is very long.

I would recomend getting the dual tops (Hard/Soft) You can also get the hardtop painted as an option.

Nav., Speakers, etc., etc, The list goes on...

My local dealer has started offering the "AEV" packages for their customers...look into this as well...You can buy a turn key badass Jeep with full warranty and finance everything.

AEV= American Expedition Vehicles

The most important thing....BUY the 6spd. tranny....You don't want an automatic Wrangler!!!!!!!!!!

Also, The new Billet Silver paint new for this year is sick!

#12 ·
That AEV is great...but a lot of money if you aren't going to actually use it 4 wheeling ALOT!

Whats the deal with Auto vs Manuel? I'm assuming manuel is better on the trail for gear selection...but what about a DD? Is the auto still capable for the occasional off road trip and
hunting on old logging roads? The new 3.6 is supposed to have cured a lot of the issues with gearing in the 3.8 and 4.0 models but I have no experience with them.

I'll be doing a lot more city driving then on the trail and also towing a boat quite often, would you still recommend the manuel over auto for this? I can't decide between the 2...

#14 ·
LOL thanks Brian, I didn't know the 92's were part of the JK series also :p

#15 ·
I don't know about John and manual transmissions......especially off road. Just saying. LOL.

If you are worried about MPG......big tires are not for you, LOL. My 8200# diesel on 36s probably gets better mpg than a lifted JK. LOL.

Wranglers are nice, lots of suspension options for them.....some better than others depending on budget. I like the stuff that is a little pricey. LOL.

#17 ·
I don't know about John and manual transmissions......especially off road. Just saying. LOL.

If you are worried about MPG......big tires are not for you, LOL. My 8200# diesel on 36s probably gets better mpg than a lifted JK. LOL.

Wranglers are nice, lots of suspension options for them.....some better than others depending on budget. I like the stuff that is a little pricey. LOL.
You know what they say about men and their big trucks right? :rolleyes:

I can slap a JK sticker on there for you if you want lol
As long as the sticker is black, it's a deal :grinbiginvert:

#21 ·
One other thing John, When you are going to buy a lift, bigger isn't always better...

(This is just my opinion and theory)

Go with a 3.5" lift and 35's, this will give you a nice low center of gravity and a wide stance with a 35 x 12.50 tire.

Too tall will make you feel like you're going to tip over...low and wide is my advise.

But everyone has there own opinions.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Hey John, the guys have covered the main stuff, but just a quick 2c as I've had JKs no-stop since they launched (in Oz) 2007. No secret being because aI was the Marketing & PR head of Jeep Australia until I left a year ago.

The Unlimited (4-dr) offers lots better stability & flexibility. Parking sucks coz long wheelbase though. 2-door is mega fun, but needs to suit single-dude lifestyle for the most part.

I've had all the variation, all the transmissions and all the engines. Depends what you want to do. Than manual is more fun, but the auto better as a daily. The key change is to try for the recent update that got a HEAP better interior and the 3.6L Pentastar V6 over the old lump - Completely changes the vehicle and worth its weight in gold to upgrade.

I also liked the Freedom top hardtop - Take the front t-tops out and feels like in a full drop-top but takes 2mins (soft top takes ages).

Anyway, just my little thoughts, through please note I used it as a daily commuter, not for offroading. And they were bone stock, not lifted etc.

But in short, they are super-fun to drive everyday and I loved it. Good luck!! :)

#28 ·
Hey John, the guys have covered the main stuff, but just a quick 2c as I've had JKs no-stop since they launched (in Oz) 2007. No secret being because aI was the Marketing & PR head of Jeep Australia until I left a year ago.

The Unlimited (4-dr) offers lots better stability & flexibility. Parking sucks coz long wheelbase though. 2-door is mega fun, but needs to suit single-dude lifestyle for the most part.

I've had all the variation, all the transmissions and all the engines. Depends what you want to do. Than manual is more fun, but the auto better as a daily. The key change is to try for the recent update that got a HEAP better interior and the 3.6L Pentastar V6 over the old lump - Completely changes the vehicle and worth its weight in gold to upgrade.

I also liked the Freedom top hardtop - Take the front t-tops out and feels like in a full drop-top but takes 2mins (soft top takes ages).

Anyway, just my little thoughts, through please note I used it as a daily commuter, not for offroading. And they were bone stock, not lifted etc.

But in short, they are super-fun to drive everyday and I loved it. Good luck!! :)
Bono, I really appreciate the information, thanks for sharing. It's pretty sweet you used to work for Jeep; I am sure you had some nice perks that went along with that role. I will definitely be going with one of the newer models so that I can get the upgraded interior. That is worth every penny to me just as you suggest. I also do plan on getting a hardtop, that is a must to me. I will be shopping around in the next few months, and once I sell my jeep I will be purchasing a DD. I will keep your thoughts in mind, thanks again!

So, I just found this video, and, this Jeep is badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...c=11&sigr=11abnp972&b=211&fr=yfp-t-701-s&tt=b
Yeah that is one BAMF Wrangler for sure.

#30 ·
The front end on the non rubicon doesn't like big tires. The ball joints are the weak spot. My gf had never offroaded hers in stock trim it needed everything replaced at 40k miles. Not a big deal but be conscious of this if you want it lifted.

Now you can get a good deal on a rough country 3.5 lift kit. Call them direct and ask for the forum discount.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#32 ·
The front end on the non rubicon doesn't like big tires. The ball joints are the weak spot. My gf had never offroaded hers in stock trim it needed everything replaced at 40k miles. Not a big deal but be conscious of this if you want it lifted.

Now you can get a good deal on a rough country 3.5 lift kit. Call them direct and ask for the forum discount.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely give them a call.

LOL unfortunately I only buy American vehicles :rolleyes:

#31 ·
Get a suzuki instead :p :D

#33 ·
John, I'm thinking about selling my beast and ordering a 2013 10th anniversary wrangler unlimited.

I can't race at my local strip anymore unless I install a cage and all the jeep meets are over 4 hour drive for me one way.

#35 ·
John, I'm thinking about selling my beast and ordering a 2013 10th anniversary wrangler unlimited.

I can't race at my local strip anymore unless I install a cage and all the jeep meets are over 4 hour drive for me one way.
Yeah they are sweet vehicles for sure. With school coming up, I need to free up some cash and I won't be hitting the track when in school so there is no need to keep the track monster. I am in a similar boat as you. I am also looking at the newer Grand Cherokees specifically the Altitude editions.

#37 · (Edited)
You should just call me. I'm right down the street from aev right now. Visiting them tomorrow.

Have you everdriven one yet? Personally I think they are so uncomortable. I just spent 8hrs in one And it was awful... Even driving the. Around town at work the seats are just so stiff

I think you will much happier w a new grand for a daily esp if you don't want to wheel or spend lots of cash cause jeeps Re addicting to spend money on

#38 ·
i swear the wrangler gets more attention then the srt, especially in the summer. GET IT:D

Attachments

#39 ·
Damn John, you got the custom plate and everything.

Reactions: DCSpecial
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.