Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Capacities

41K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  SRTreat 
#1 ·
For the DIY guys here are fluid capacitys broken down for you guys.

The transfer case takes 3.8 pints which is 60.8 ounces which comes out to 1.9 quarts.

And just for the record 2 quarts of NV146 cost me $68.25 from a dealer. Yes thats not a typo 2 quarts for almost 70 bucks!!!!

The differential front case takes 57.5 ounces which breaks down to 1.79 quarts.

The differential rear case takes 76.0 ounces which breaks down to 2.35 quarts.

So you need 133.5 ounces total which comes out to 4.17 quarts of 75w140 synthetic gear oil for the front and rear differential cases.

I found a good siphon at pep boys that should make the differential cases a tad easier to change.

Enjoy.

#10 ·
Could this be right?

My dealer just gave me a quote of approximately $289 plus tax to service both differentials. If that price is correct and the cost of the lube is $70 a quart..... man, I think that will be a dealer job for sure..... unless lube is a lot cheaper elsewhere.

#11 ·
I think Inferno's local dealer sold him 2 quarts for $70.

You can get it online cheaper though. I bought 2 quarts from moparstore.com for $56.45 shipped.

If you dont mind a few days wait it is much cheaper to buy it online and do it youself.

#14 ·
RE: Fluid Capacities

When I changed my fluids not too long ago, my front diff drained 45 ounces from the factory fill, and was actually slightly overfilled as it poured out of the filler plug when removed.

Mine took 44 ounces to refill, it did not want any more. I subsequently checked it a couple of weeks ago, it was still full to the bottom of the filler plug.

All your other capacities jive with what came out of mine.

#17 ·
I pulled this up for the tranfercase from a Chrysler Techs handbook

Grand Cherokee SRT8
Transfer Case Fluid Service
The Grand Cherokee SRT8 will be arriving at
dealers any day now and we wanted to remind
you that it will introduce a new transfer case, the
NV146. There are a couple significant differences
with the fluid and fill level on this transfer case
compared to other Grand Cherokees.
First, t he fluid full l level is 1-1/8 inches below the
bottom of the fill plug. This is different from the
other Grand Cherokee applications. Second, the
proper fluid is Mopar NV146 Transfer Case Fluid
(Part number 68001758AA). This fluid is also
different from other transfer case applications,
and any other fluids are not recommended. It is
important that the transfer case not be overfilled
and that the correct fl ui d i s used. This is important
information for the people doing PDI on these
vehicles and anyone who services these transfer
cases. Past experience has shown us that having
the fluid fill level below the fill plug can cause
some confusion.

#21 ·
I did my front and rear differentials at home with 4 quarts of synthetic gear lube from Wal Mart for $10.00 per quart. I don't know the brand but it seems to be working. You will need 2 different tools to remove the drain plugs, the rear takes a square drive ratchet but the front has a drain and fill plug that take a big metric allen wrench, for which I had to buy a whole set at Sears for $40.00 just to get the one tool I needed. The fill hole is in a tight place on the front of the front differential and I had to remove the allen part of the tool from the 1/2" socket and turn it with a wrench to use it. It was a pain but I got it done for $80.00, versus almost $300.00 at the dealer!

#23 ·
Are you guys changing the fluid in the driveway with ramps or jack stands? I can't seem to fit under the jeep without some sort of lifting device.

#27 ·
I just changed mine. You have to use the Mopar transfer case fluid. For the front/rear diffs, I used that Royal Purple stuff. I can honestly say changing all those fluids really quieted my Jeep down. I used to have this loud muffled noise when I punched it, coming from underneath the Jeep. Now I dont hear a thing, only the engine and exhaust. Hope this helps.

#32 ·
anyone got a DIY with pics for the transfer case/diff installs? where drain plugs are exactly...if anything needs removal...how long to wait for drains..etc

#41 ·
If you have an FSM, please help...

Kicking the dead horse to revive it...so it can then be killed again, and kicked more....

I think I know why the dealer is clueless. Besides actually being clueless and inept, the confusion is also in writing...

Dealer gave me printout of something that is labeled:

2010 - WK - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 6.1L SRT HEMI V8

04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications

It proceeds to list out a table including sections for Cooling System, Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel, A/C, Plugs, Trans, T-Case, Chassis, Axles, etc. The table includes descriptions, part numbers, and capacities for a number of items.

In the T-Case section, all three t-case models are listed, however for the NV146 (6.1L engine only) row, it indeed lists 1.4 Pints as the fill capacity. This is roughly 1/3 of what everybody is filling to... I called Chrysler this AM and I'm awaiting an official response on the written discrepancy from their technical group. This must be what the dealer service technicians are following during service and when asked. The lady from Chrysler couldn't track down the answer herself based on the documentation in hand - no wonder there's confusion!

Does anybody out there have an up to date FSM, that calls out the NV146 fill capacity? If so, what's the page/section number, have a screen shot to post here, a pdf, or anything official on what the right answer is? Also, if this Quick Reference section is in there, confirm what it says, and if there's a more detailed description elsewhere in the FSM on the capacities, please post what you find.

I've been referencing the nice write up on wkjeeps and all the posting on this forum for technical information. In this case, it appears the Chrysler Quick Ref docs are wrong??!!

If you have an FSM that covers up through 2010, PLEASE post what you have on this. Thank you.

My Saturday NV146 and axle fluid changes appear to both be botched and I'd like references to walk into the service department with. Unfortunately, wkjeeps printout won't be treated as official...

#38 ·
Idk why the dealer would tell me that 1 quart is more than enough.
Not surprised. They often confuse the capacities between different t-cases (example - the NV140 takes about 23 oz.).

Do you guys fill those cases up til it starts overflowing and then levels itself off?

I just wanna make sure I don't **** up that transfer case.
Fill level is 25-35mm (0.98-1.38 In.) below the bottom of the fill plug. You have to fashion a dipstick from a piece of rod, putting a 1.5" or so right-angle bend at the end. I made one and painted the end flat white, as on the rod piece I originally used (from coathanger) the oil would run right off it making it hard to measure the level.

I assume you drained the fluid while it was warm/hot, and let it drain 15-20 min.?

#40 ·
Looks like the dealer put limited slip additive in with the axle fluid.... Besides being inappropriate for our model, is it going to hurt anything staying in there or do I need to get them to replace it all?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.