Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

The Black Mamba

31K views 185 replies 45 participants last post by  mondo 
#1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, I have already coined a name for my Shelby GT500. I plan on making a one of a kind unique build with my GT500 similar to what I did with my jeep. I have already determined my color scheme and have started gathering parts for the first phase of modification. All work is being done at DCCustoms with the help of Dan, Chad (CMN1), Matt (GlorySends), Eric (Ekaz), Tim (BullsF####), myself and anyone else who helps out here and there. I am very greatful for all the help provided and would like to say thank you ahead of time. Now onto the fun part:

Aesthetics:
Exterior:

I have decided to go with a murdered look (no surprise) on the exterior with a few touches of Flash Blue. The work being done includes:
  • Tinted red and amber reflectors.
  • DCSpecial headlights with chrome delete and the addition of blue LED's.
  • Flash Blue caliper paint purchased from g2usa
Engine Bay:
  • Current Half Covers are already a very similar color to Flash Blue. In due time I will be painting pieces black and blue to make it look nice and bedazzled :grinbiginvert:
Interior:
  • The dash and mood lighting is set as blue.
  • The picture on the head unit is a picture of a Black Mamba.
Performance:

For this first stage of performance, I was looking to purchase a good package of supporting mods which could help my Mustang produce more boost and breathe better without going into the motor. Others who have added the same mods to their Mustang have dynoed on mustang dynos at anywhere in between 700/720WHP and 750/765TQ. The stock GT500 puts down roughly 612WHP and 625TQ and therefore this combination proves to bring a 100HP/TQ + or - gain. Mods include the following:
  • MGW Short Throw Shifter (no performance gain, but a 30% less throw)
  • Bob's Oil Seperator (Carbon Fiber Catch Can with Braided Hoses)
  • JLT Carbon Fiber 127mm Cold Air Intake
  • 10% OD Pulley
  • Thump Racing Belt Tensioner
  • Dual 65mm Throttle Body
  • Offroad H-Pipe
  • 3.73 Gears
  • NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
  • Lund Tune and SCT Tuner
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports 295/35/20's for the rears
Pictures can be seen below:

CAI:

10% OD Belt / SCT Tuner / Spark Plugs / Thump Racing Belt Tensioner:

Flash Blue paint which matches the half covers:

CF Oil Separator:

Short Throw Shifter:

Traction:
In order to counteract the poor traction with this TQ heavy RWD beast, I have already swapped out my rear tires from the stock crapyears (285/35/20) to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (295/35/20).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Three weekends ago we (DCCustoms Crew and I) completely removed the front fascia in order to install the new belt tensioner, 10% OD pulley, and JLT CAI. I also pulled the headlights and they are getting some special treatment :)

Teaser:

My oil separator arrived yesterday:

Two weekends ago:

Out with the new (only 1,700 miles), in with the newer 65MM TB -

Installed the JLT 127mm CAI -

Mounted Bob's Oil Separator (absolutely love the AN Fittings, a must have)-

Pictures from two weeks ago:

Grinding down the crank sensor tab to install the 10% OD Pulley -

Headlights removed in order to spruce them up :) -

Swapping out the spark plugs -

This past weekend, even though I was not able to make it out to the shop, Dan, Chad, and Matt were extremely kind enough to go out to the shop and work on my mustang for me. I can't thank them enough for all the hard work and hours they have put into this project. I really appreciate it.

Dan cleaned the filter that came with the JLT Intake and used blue oil instead of the pink oil it had. Came out very nicely:

Got the new 10% OD belt, thump tensioner, and crank pulley installed:

Here is a picture of the engine bay all back together. Still missing the front bumper as the headlights just got painted along with the side markers.

Tinting:

First item are my tinted fogs, and the third items are my tinted front side markers. More pictures to come.

DC Customs shizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

Tinted Fog Light:

Painted Headlight bezel:

#3 · (Edited)
Well got the last stage of my mods finally installed. Had to wait a while to find the right shop, good weather, and a friend to help me get out to the shop. The mods I had installed are Ford Racing 3.73 gears, an Offroad H-Pipe for better sound, and an MGW short throw shifter. I had the shop dyno it and I believe they said it made around 770 flywheel HP. I am going to pick it up this afternoon and will get pictures and a video or two. Here are some pictures from the install:

#121 ·
I had the shop dyno it and I believe they said it made around 770 flywheel HP.
What do you mean believe it made? I think you would remember the number. It was on a RWD dyno why did you/he convert it?

Reactions: tugboatchad
#4 ·
Haha bud this is awesome!!! Cant wait to see everything pan out! I think it is very cool and glad your still going to be doing big things!

If I posted to soon just have Bernie delete my post and I will repost :)

#9 ·
Haha bud this is awesome!!! Cant wait to see everything pan out! I think it is very cool and glad your still going to be doing big things!

If I posted to soon just have Bernie delete my post and I will repost :)
Thanks DJ appreciate it. Since I am selling the jeep I needed another project :). Oh no not at all, you almost beat me to getting two posts for pictures though :p

Very nice list of mods you got going there. Average cost for the increased power and torque?
Less thank 4K when all stated above will be said and done. Talk about bang for your buck.

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Please don't go head first into this one and end up wanting to sell it after all is said and done. I will have to kick your ass. What happened to keeping this mostly stock?? That was fast!

Just make sure you keep this one please! It's going to be bad ass John!
Don't worry Tamara. The reason I am selling my jeep doesn't have to do with me going to far with it. The original intention was to never sell the jeep.....this mustang will not suffer the same fate my jeep did. But if I do ever decide to sell it, please kick my ass LOL. Well started surfing around on the SVT forum, and one thing leads to the next. Plus Dan C. is a terrible influence, I blame him and his incessant facebook posts :grinbiginvert:.

Woohoo!! Looking forward to it, John! :D
Thanks Johnny! How your mystics doing?!

Nice! Great color scheme, too. :) I've been following the progress on Dan's F/B page and look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Brian, I knew you would appreciate the color scheme :cool:. Yeah I can't wait either. It's going to be a freaking highway monster when this stage is done :eek:

#12 ·
Don't worry Tamara. The reason I am selling my jeep doesn't have to do with me going to far with it. The original intention was to never sell the jeep.....this mustang will not suffer the same fate my jeep did. But if I do ever decide to sell it, please kick my ass LOL. Well started surfing around on the SVT forum, and one thing leads to the next. Plus Dan C. is a terrible influence, I blame him and his incessant facebook posts :grinbiginvert:.
Not to mention your ability to be easily swayed. :D

Thanks Brian, I knew you would appreciate the color scheme :cool:. Yeah I can't wait either. It's going to be a freaking highway monster when this stage is done :eek:
You know John, so I got more to thinking about the name you chose for your ride, and I couldn't help but say to myself, "there just has to be a joke in there about the car a man drives and how it compensates for his lack of manhood"..... but I gotta say I have too much respect for both you and your car to actually come up with one. LOL :lol:

#6 ·
Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Please don't go head first into this one and end up wanting to sell it after all is said and done. I will have to kick your ass. What happened to keeping this mostly stock?? That was fast!

Just make sure you keep this one please! It's going to be bad ass John!

#15 ·
That's going to be a great color scheme to go with! Look forward to seeing a "finished" product John! Such a great car and nice to see you already got rid of the crapyears for some good traction!

#16 ·
I have decided to go with a murdered look (no surprise) on the exterior with a few touches of Flash Blue.
Sounds like an ok idea. LOL

Just saw it in person. Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
This year is going to be a fun year around the Chicagoland area. I look forward to seeing you and this beast at the track. I have a feeling there might be some videos of us racing popping up this year. Love the work so far! keep it up!

#20 ·
John,

Not sure if I will be able to break away from my other stuff while visiting this weekend but hope to be able to hook up with you sometime.....looks like the shop is about an hour away from where I'm staying so it might be hard to break the wife away from downtown given he short time we are there....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
Looking good John. Was thinking that Mustang I kept seeing pop up on DC's FB page was yours but wasn't positive until confirmation here on the forum. Good luck with the rest of the build and looking forward to hearing about the results.

#24 ·
[QUOTE Thanks bud. Haha yeah by the way Dan is posting all these pics of it, lots of people mistaken it for his, but no no that's most certainly not the case. Thanks appreciate it! Any upgrades to your beast over the winter?[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah I saw he mentioned John a few times and that's what got me thinking it was yours but as mentioned this thread confirmed it for me. Nothing major going on for me right now. My QA1's are in the mail from Harrison and Stage 6 and I may also try and pick up a spare set of wheels and some Nitto NT05's this winter in time for the race reason. Then hopefully this spring I'll have the funds for the upgraded Tranny as well. Again The Black Mamba is looking good and looking forward to following your latest build!

#28 ·
Thanks man! I think it will be too. I have big aspirations for it. I want it to live up to the Black Mamba name I have given it. Wikipedia: "It is the fastest snake in the world". Now I don't plan on achieving that goal, but definitely want it to be a street monster.

#33 ·
^^^Lol so true Jim! You all enjoy my antics :D

#50 ·
Hahaha was waiting for something like this. Well played Harrison.

I was alerted to this thread last night by my cohorts.....LOL!

I would first like to state that I am a bad influence for sure.

Also, the G2 paint is Voodoo Blue, you clown. LMFAO. When I said "flash" in the text that was in regards to one of the pics I sent you having the flash on my phone camera.

Interior lighting isn't blue either......it's purple, and your gauges are red. See:

What else, what else......hmmm, that's all I remember. I can load 32 images on your head unit for the photo, time to burn a CD. LOL
Ah tomato tomatoe. Voodoo blue it is. And the interior lighting will be changed when I get back in the seat of my car this Saturday clown. LOL you have too much time on your hands.

Let me also add.....

I have some ideas for those amber and red markers/reflectors.

Custom blue air filter, courtesy of DC. LOL

My favorite part of this build is being told on a daily basis that you hate me......not that it always involves the car, but it makes me laugh. LMFAO.
Get used to it......:p

ill offer my services if you're ever in need. i'd love to say i worked on a '13 GT500.

specifically when you decide to throw on that 4.0 whipple !:rocker:
Thanks a lot bud definitely appreciate that. That is quite a while down the road but in the mean time we Chicagoians need to get a get together going.

John why are you going to a 373's? thats pretty low gear for this car, 1rst and almost 2ond are going to be useless under WOT, if they weren't already lol. This car is so powerful as it is, I doubt you need more gear. I bet your 0-60 times will gone up, as you'll have to shift to 2nd before 60 now....Just saying, if I were you, i'd do your pulley swap/other mods first just to see how you like it, as it will be such a huge difference in the way it feels....you may not want a lower gear..

ie..My car has stock 355's, and at the 600rwhp mark there is no way id go lower in a manual trans....just too much power and too short of gear IMO.....if i were auto, that would be different....Im curious to see how you like it a 373 in that car...

How do you find the new Michelin Pilots Sports? Most guys run at least a Drag Radial for street traction....
Steve, the reason I decided to go with the 373's is per information I have been reading on the SVT forum. The other members who have made this sway are looking to make more power down low at a sacrifice on the top end. Honestly I will never find a place with enough track to hit 200mph (without heavily modifying the vehicle). So instead of keeping the stock gearing in which was aimed to achieve that goal, I have decided to make it more power heavy down low. However, like you said I know it will only make traction worse. So instead of swapping the gears immediately, I am going to install all the mods on the stock gears, see how I like it and then maybe make the switch.

I definitely agree about the drag radials. Unfortunately I haven't driven it with the new tires yet as I travel every week and don't have time to. I will let you know this weekend what I think. I certainly know these aren't the biggest or stickiest tire but should serve well as DD tires. Drag radials are in the future, but I will not be mounting them to my stock SVT wheels which are 9.5 in width. I will be getting minimum 10.5 inch wheels which I can mount 335's to.

I appreciate your info, it is very useful.

I am DC and I approve of this post.

Being as I have John's car, still easy to break those tires loose in 3rd. Drag radial or similar would have been my thinking for grip.
Yeah I know, it will happen in time, taking it in strides.

#36 ·
I was alerted to this thread last night by my cohorts.....LOL!

I would first like to state that I am a bad influence for sure.

Also, the G2 paint is Voodoo Blue, you clown. LMFAO. When I said "flash" in the text that was in regards to one of the pics I sent you having the flash on my phone camera.

Interior lighting isn't blue either......it's purple, and your gauges are red. See:

What else, what else......hmmm, that's all I remember. I can load 32 images on your head unit for the photo, time to burn a CD. LOL

#38 ·
Let me also add.....

I have some ideas for those amber and red markers/reflectors.

Custom blue air filter, courtesy of DC. LOL

My favorite part of this build is being told on a daily basis that you hate me......not that it always involves the car, but it makes me laugh. LMFAO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.